The Brett Favre thread. All Favre News Goes Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgangstahippie7:18

There are conflicting reports saying he prefers New York. I'd go out and buy a Ford pick up truck, turn Protestant, move to the suburbs, and become a registered Republican, if this would help bring Brett Favre to New York Scratch that apparently Brett is Catholic, and so is Kellen :) seriously the Jets better play any angle and point out things about the organization, and the New York area that Brett Favre likes.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mirer was an act of desperation. The Jets had no backup QB at all and Parcells grasped at straws. Yes, this was his fault for not acquiring a reasonable backup earlier but the Jets had spent a lot of cap space on acquisitions in the previous year and he really had no leeway at that point.

I remember him admitting in an interview that if Vinny went down the Jets were in trouble, but he obviously had concluded that this was true with any potential backup caliber QB so he just rolled the dice and lost. After he got back on his feet from that body blow (several weeks later) he developed a good second option which was always his strength.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Oh I see, you're going to go back to the beginning of his career when he was a rookie and knew nothing about NFL offenses instead of looking at the last 2 years when the Packers changed over their coaching staff and offensive system.

How did he do in those 2 years? Favre played 34 games in the last 2 seasons putting up over 8000 yards and over 50 TD passes in the process. What other QB's have done that in the past 2 years you ask?
    Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Drew Brees

4. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Wow...Was that one sentence?:rofl:

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I bet you the Jets up the offer when they realize that Tampa Bay will get Favre if they don't beat the TB offer. If the Jets are in this conversation at all in this point it's not as a stalking horse to up Green Bay's eventual compensation, it's to acquire the player.

I'll also bet you that the Jets currently are at least tied in the offers and the Packers are working on Favre and his agent to accept a trade here.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think that Pennington can run this offense. They have the beef up front. Lots of TJ running, then play action keeps the QB healthy. Pennington has had success vs the Pats, and that is the mtn to climb.

In 2000, Tom Brady was certainly no great star (except that last draive), but the team didn't put all the weight on him. They held it together on defense, were opportunistic on offense. And ate up 4th Quarters with Antwain Smith.

I think the Jets could do this with Jones. Not to mention the Jets receiving corp is much better than the Pats of 2000.

7. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

Favre out: Packers trade legend to Jetsby Jay Glazer
    Jay Glazer is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com on MSN and also appears every week on FOX NFL Sunday as the network's NFL Insider.

Updated: August 6, 2008, 10:36 PM EST Comment add this RSS blog email print The Brett Favre era in Green Bay is now officially over. But Favre's legendary career is not.

The month-long saga has finally come to an end, with the Packers trading their future Hall-of-Fame quarterback to the New York Jets.
    The exact compensation was not immediately known, but it is believed to be a single draft pick that increases in value depending upon how the Jets perform during the 2008 season.

FAVRE: THROUGH THE YEARS Photos: There will only ever be one Brett Favre. Take a stroll down memory lane and check out Favre through the years and his greatest moments. As a result of this, the Jets will likely release a quarterback. Signs have been pointing to Chad Pennington as the likely culprit because the team will need to free up cap room to fit Favre's contract under the salary cap.

The Jets were much more aggressive than the Bucs in their pursuit of Favre all along. The bigger issue was getting Favre on the same page as the Packers front office as far as the Jets were concerned.

Finally, late Tuesday, Favre talked to Jets head coach Eric Mangini and others in the organization for the first time as they tried to convince Favre he would be a good fit in New York.

The Packers had been hopeful of getting a deal done with the Jets for two reasons. One, it was the better offer on the table as far as the quality of the compensation. Two, it sends Favre out of the conference, meaning a meeting in the playoffs is an extreme longshot.

This trade caps a roller coaster offseason ride for Favre — the 38-year-old future Hall of Famer and owner of nearly every meaningful passing record in NFL history — and the franchise that became synonymous with his legendary No. 4 jersey, the Green Bay Packers. Brett Favre's on-again, off-again retirement has dominated the league for the past two months as news began trickling to the media that the legendary passer was second-guessing both his retirement decision and his status in Green Bay.

The sports world first bid farewell to Favre in a nationally-televised press conference on March 6. At the time, the decision to retire seemed somewhat of a surprise considering the resounding success of Favre's 2007 campaign — 4,155 passing yards, 28 touchdown passes, plus career-highs in both completion percentage (66.5 percent) and yards per attempt (7.8). In other words, one of pro football's best quarterbacks ever to play was his most accurate while throwing more deep balls than ever before ... in his 17th NFL season.

FAVRE-WATCH The Brett Favre saga has taken some interesting turns since he supposedly announced his retirement from the NFL. News:
    Jets, Bucs both talking Favre trade
    McCarthy: Favre not in 'proper mindset'
    Goodell: Vikings did not tamper
    Vikings: No Favre trade talk yet
    Packers hire Fleischer for PR help
    McCain: 'I'm not so dumb' to pick sides
    Read Green Bay Packers statement
    Timeline in Favre-Packers saga

Analysis:Marvez: What will happen to Favre?
    Kriegel: Romo the anti-Favre
    Kriegel: Favre a selfish superstar
    Whitlock: A letter to Ted Thompson
    Marvez: Most GB fans back Pack
    Kriegel: Favre tarnishing his legacy

More on Favre:Video: Bucs talk possible trade
    Photos: Best Brett Favre moments
    Video: McCarthy dishes on Favre
    Photos: Favre through the years
    Community: Packers fans sound off
    Poll: What should Packers do?

Most importantly, the Packers were coming off a revival of a season in which they went 13-3 record en route to winning the NFC North division title. Better yet, after the New York Giants shocked the NFC's No. 1 seeded Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs to give the Packers home-field advantage in the NFC Championship, the stars seemed to be aligning toward a perfect Hollywood storyline — the legend going to the Super Bowl in his final year. It was going to be perfect — after two straight years of subpar results and retirement waffling by No. 4, Favre was poised to have the chance to leave football on top like John Elway once did with Denver.

But Favre's fairy tale became a nightmare on a cold Sunday night in January as the Giants upset the Packers, leaving the veteran passer looking weathered and worn after another grueling season. Ironically it was Favre's longtime friendly rival, Giants defensive end Michael Strahan, who lived the fairy tale, won the Super Bowl and retired with a championship ring before being hired as an analyst on Fox NFL Sunday.

Still, last season was such a success that most fans and media expected Favre to return for at least one more season, if not more. And even Favre admitted at his own retirement press conference that he still knew he could play — and that he would want to play again at some point before training camp began. Unbeknownst publicly at the time, Favre even flirted with a return shortly before April's NFL Draft — a return which Green Bay says they were fully prepared to embrace until Favre flip-flopped yet again on March 29. As Packers head coach Mike McCarthy tells it, "we had reached a point of closure ... Those were his words. And he was going to stick with his initial decision."

It was after that fateful episode that the Packers finally moved on with Life Without Favre, completely handing the keys to the offense to Aaron Rodgers, the first full-time starting QB other than Favre since George Bush Sr. was Commander in Chief in 1992. Green Bay even selected not one, but two quarterbacks in the seven-round draft to fill the momentous void left by Favre.

It was around this time that word began leaking to the public that Green Bay might have a serious QB controversy on its hands. But while many could have predicted Favre's "itch" to return this summer, few were aware of the angst No. 4 felt against the organization that contributed to his desire to play elsewhere.

On July 4, Favre text-messaged Thompson, who asked Favre to discuss the matter the following Monday upon return from vacation. A July 8 conference call was scheduled, during which for the first time throughout this up-and-down process Favre emphatically declared that he was once again 100 percent committed to football.

After the Favre camp mailed a letter to the Green Bay Packers asking for his release, the dominoes continued to fall — with other teams rumored as possible trade partners, tampering charges filed by the Packers against the rival Minnesota Vikings and around-the-clock media scrutiny surrounding both Favre and the Packers. Both parties tried to stay tight-lipped publicly, but then there was the three-part Favre-Fox News interview and the infamous Boy Scout troop grilling McCarthy about Green Bay's beloved No. 4.

As July 27 — the date marking the start of Packers training camp — creeped closer, the stalemate continued ... and it became clear that neither the Packers nor Favre wanted No. 4 to arrive in Green Bay amidst an expected media circus that P.T. Barnum could never comprehend. With new media gossip leaking daily, at first it seemed the Packers were getting desperate — with reports that they might trade Favre within the NFC North. Packers President Mark Murphy even flew to Brett Favre, Mississippi (actually Hattiesburg) to offer the best quarterback in franchise history over $20 million over 10 years NOT to come back to Green Bay.

Then reports surfaced that after everything that Favre himself was considering budging from his position to accept the Packers' "marketing" offer. But he finally arrived in Packer-land intent on reporting for what McCarthy suddenly termed "an open competition."

But now ... finally ... we all know the answer to the question — the quarterback with more touchdown passes, passing yards, completions and wins in league history — has left the building in Green Bay, for good.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Play FOX FANTASY FOOTBALL TODAY!

COMMUNITY ON FOXSPORTS.COM
    NFL message boards
    NFL blogs
    Start or join a new Football fan group
    Create or go to your profile

8. jgangstahippie7:18

Yes it was lol. I found a shady link online saying Brett to Jets is more than likely. Hey at least it is an update. I am hitting refresh on Google News like every 5 seconds.
    gambling911.com/sports/brett-favre-new-york-jets-very-likely-source-tells-g911-080608.html)

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yes, if he beats out Kellen. Otherwise Clemens.

10. GeorgeJETSon

GeorgeJETSon Member

That's negotiable, which is kind of the point of, well, negotiating.

11. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

1050 espn radio was reporting that the Jets offered and conditional 2nd and 4th while the Bucs offered a third and I forget now which player (I think Brian Griese.)

12. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

13. jgangstahippie7:18

just heard it on ESPN News I am so wearing my Rhodes Jersey to Drivers Ed 2marrow ,and possibly to bed too.

14. erlovepuck

erlovepuck New Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Obviously the sides will negotiate the conditions but I was wondering if there were things that are not permitted to be part of the conditions.

Edit: I guess my question is irrelevant at this point!

#2034 erlovepuck, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  15. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

The only thing i can say is..... STOP WITH THE NEWS COVERAGE NOW!

But as a Jets fan it will probably get worse.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

For those too lazy to copy/paste the link:

17. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Holy sh*t....i thought that post was real....AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

18. allan1

allan1 Active Member

So Jay Glazer breaks the story

why not Mort? King? they're closer to Favre.

still fishy to me

19. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

20. WhiteShoeWillis

Yes Espn Reporting He's Been Traded To The Jets!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.