The big question for Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If he has another game or two like last weekend the Jets will have no choice.

That's when the wheels fall off and the Jets go into scrambling mode to try to fix things.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

These are different times. QBs of this era particularly the good ones take less time to get acclimated. This is the age of HS & college air raid offenses, 7 on 7 tournaments, elite QB camps & personal QB gurus. These kids get a lot more passing reps & development before they get to the NFL. I don’t believe the repeated Payton references are applicable.

Pepsiguy5, Jets-N-Terps, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Plus the majority of QB's who start their careers poorly just end up being bad.

People used to use the Peyton thing to excuse the bad start Sam had to his career. It didn't apply there and it doesn't apply here. For every Peyton who started poorly and became great there are thirty guys whose names no one remembers because they faded into obscurity after starting poorly.

With all that said, it's way too early to be seriously concerned about Wilson.

dmw, NoodleArm, Jets-N-Terps and 4 others like this.
  4. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I still believe in Wilson, 100%. Patience must be our watchword.

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

How do you stop believing after 2 games one in which he played well. This talk is beyond absurd.

dmw, barfolomew and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Br4d

Wilson didn't play well in game one. The Jets would have won that game if he played well. He just didn't fall on his face under all that pressure and he wasn't a turnover machine so we adjusted the reference points and turned it into "he played well."

He completed 54% of his passes for 6.97 YPA and led the offense on two scoring drives.

Jets79 and westiedog1 like this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He played well in the second half and for a rookie played extremely well overall.

Do we really expect a rookie to play like Aaron Rodgers out of the gate. The expectations from the haters are unrealistic. This is the NFL not Pop Warner. Not only that playing QB you have to rely on everyone else. The o-line play not the greatest, rookie play caller a rookie RB, a Rookie WR and a Rookie LG. Give this kid and the team time to grow.

Stop trying to fit your narrative into a single game. I have not even mentioned that it takes 3-4 weeks to establish how good or bad a team really is. Not only do we have all these rookies there is no preseason games to iron out the kinks that is done weeks 1-4. The jags beat the colts last season week 1 and TB got crushed. Greenbay got crushed week1 are they a bad team.

Expectations people. In a couple of more games we will see the real identity of this team for 2021. What I don't get is the haters on here claim the Jets will only win 3-5 games then freak out when the team looks like a 3-5 win team.

In the grand scheme of things the Jets are only a game out of first place lets enjoy football until we are least half way through October.

#27 cval, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  8. Br4d

Again, we're moving the goal posts here. Mark Sanchez played well in his debut. Sam Darnold played well in his debut. Zach Wilson had a miserable first half and then had two drives in the second half where he looked decent. More of the mistakes in the first week were on him than on anybody else. We give him credit because he stood up to the beating but he was just as responsible for it as the OL.

This franchise and it's fans have had a bad case of QB fever all spring and summer. A few more games should resolve that.

legler82 likes this.
  9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What the Fu** are you talking about. What does Sam and Mark have to do with Zach. I give him credit because he looked like a promising rookie. I am not ready to put him in the hall of fame or am I ready to call him a bust after two games. He showed he has the talent to be successful in this league but that does not mean he will. It takes at least three years to be a really good NFL QB not two games. There will be signs through this season if he will be good.

Last night Peyton talked about a year getting comfortable in a new system and that is for Vet. I would at least double that time for a rookie.

Falco21 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea that’s not bad considering he had no running game or pass protection.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It could be that Zach got the jitters playing his first home game as a pro and tried to do too much. I know the backfoot throws have got to stop and so does the "hero" instinct which he bought with him from BYU. I expected better play but the kid has a very steep learning curve just like the entire roster so, write off '21 as an extended pre-season and look for something more resembling an NFL team in '22.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes...its a Big Question

But I suspect most fans have the Prozac script or Crown Royal on Standby

13. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I think ZW is going to be the franchise QB we've been waiting for, the problem I have is that we have no quality vet QB to teach him the NFL game. I'm okay with him starting, but without the presence of a veteran QB, there's going to be some serious growing pains. JD needs to find a quality backup veteran QB because having Mike White isn't going to cut it.

LAJet likes this.
  14. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Week #1 was terrible OL play

Week #2 was the week of terrible offensive play calling.

The first pass they ask him to make is down the middle right towards the safety. Everyone knows that QBs struggle not throwing high down the middle yet let's have our rookie start the game deep down the middle. Oh and the receiver totally failed to get open because it's a terrible route.

You need to draw up good plays that result in receivers getting open.

The max protect reduced sacks but it created situations where nobody was open not even the check downs.

15. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

This upcoming week we're going to learn a ton about our coaching staff.

A HC or OC who can't see the big picture would put the handcuffs on Zach. But that is not what Zach needs.

Modify the approach? Sure. Encourage him to check it down and live another down where appropriate? Definitely.

But by no means is this the time to neuter our young QB and Rob him of the growing pains that all of us rational fans were expecting and ready to deal with.

The last thing I want to see is ineffective runs against a stacked box on 1st and 2nd down every series followed by a conservative passing game on 3rd down in the hopes that we can win the game with our defense and field position.

This team isn't built for the playoffs so let's not go through the motions and waste a year of this kids development.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LAJet, twown, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  16. Br4d

The Jets goal on every drive for the rest of the season should be to string together a bunch of effective plays before whatever happens at the end of it.

That means a lot of play action and mostly short passes off of the play action. It means a few roll-outs where Wilson only has to read half the field and can easily throw it away if need be. A few medium range passes mixed in and maybe 3 or 4 deep balls a game. The deep balls should be on 1st and 10 and 2nd and short. No heroics there because if you have to throw it away you have down and distance on your side on the next play.

They should be running the ball at least 50% of the time. 3rd and 9 draws should be the rule, although not every time obviously.

In the passing game probably 50% of the throws should not involve a read. They should be short screens, slants and outs where all Wilson has to do is not get pile-drivered as he turns to make the throw.

This is called training-wheels and it's what keeps the bike from flopping over and the kid getting hurt.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It’s not just too early, is fucking idiotic early IMO. It’s not like he went to a team with most of the pieces in place just needing a QB. . It’s basically going to a start at the ground floor organization. I’m pretty much dismissing 90% of the negative BS on this board at this point. Apparently they expected miracles from the get go. Wilson had a horrible game, granted, but there were a lot of good things that went completely ignored or not addressed. They broad brush everything to make their point. This team at 0-2 is in my eyes light years ahead of last year cluster fuck. So when some are questioning Saleh after two games, or Wilson, or the OC, I just move on. Life is two short to dwell in the BS past.

Acad23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The Denver defense in Mile High stadium is tough place to start straightening the ship. If we are able to do it, it will speak volumes about this team. We shall see.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Very good point.
    The coaches may have over-reacted to the previous weeks shitty performance by the O line and outwitted themselves.

Young coaches+young players= lots of learning experiences... much to the fans dismay.

I predict we'll get it going by mid-season... not wins necessarily... but watchable football.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

2022-23 is more likely..

Br4d likes this.