The battle for Holmes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFanDoc, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I didn't want to get into that with him, but did he really just call Mo Massaquoi a great player?

2. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

its laughable to use lack of discipline to lower the value of holmes when comparing him to Braylon.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Per rotoworld:

If he's all about the money, he'll end up in Washington, because they can obviously pay him more. That team has a horrible situation at quarterback though.

Lock up players that want to be here.

4. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Holmes is better then Edwards. More of a gamebreaker... Though one thing about Edwards which kinda gets glanced over is that last season, the guy wasn't Mr. Dropped pass, like other seasons. Guy caught everything.

5. IATA

IATA Trolls

The thing people are using is that Santonio is closer to suspension for 1 year than Braylon.

6. Teenager of the Year

Really thought we`d struck gold with Holmes, his word in the ear of the CS over McKnight on Hard Knocks last year impressed the hell out of me, and I thought he`d be here for a few years yet.

Love him to stay if it doesn`t wreck our cap, but if he does leave then it means I laugh just a little bit louder should he get busted again, someone else can deal with it.

7. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I won't count out Tannenbaum, but that doesn't look good for us keeping him.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No, it doesn't.

I was upset when heard David Harris was franchised instead of Holmes, because I knew something like this would happen.

Oh, well. Sign Braylon Edwards then keep calm and carry on. Free agents want to play here because of the city and Rex Ryan. This team will come out okay.

9. #28Martin

Edwards isn't a game breaker,,, not the same thing. Holmes is feared, Edwards isn't.

10. bojanglesman

Contradictory news?

'Strong' chance Santonio stays with Jets: agent

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/strong_chance_santonio_stays_with_KKQAS25sQHlCIWbUp9VtsM

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, likely to be one of the most popular free agents now that the NFL lockout is over, has a good chance to stay with the Jets.

Holmes' agent, Joel Segal, told The Post on Monday, "Santonio loves New York, he's a fan of the head coach, he likes the quarterback, he likes the system. There's a strong possibility of Santonio staying in New York. He's a huge fan of New York."

The Redskins reportedly will make an attempt to sign Holmes, who played last season for the Jets after being traded from the Steelers.

"I spoke to Santonio numerous times. We have a plan," Segal said. "We know our priorities and we're ready to go."

The NFL lockout ended Monday when players finally signed off on a new collective bargaining agreement that the owners approved last Thursday.

All offseason activity has been shut down since March, leaving a limited amount of time for teams to sign players before camps open this week.

"This is going to be unprecedented and historical," Segal said of free agency.

"There are going to be so many free agents that you don't want to get in a game of musical chairs and not have a seat at the end. You might move more quickly because you now have free agents from last year who were restricted becoming free agents, so there are almost two classes of free agents now.

"You have to make sure there are jobs for them after the traditional, first-wave free agents. That process sometimes can take a month. I don't see that happening now."

Receivers Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith, and cornerback Antonio Cromartie, are other Jets free agents.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets...ays_with_KKQAS25sQHlCIWbUp9VtsM#ixzz1T99klI80

#70 bojanglesman, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

^ Washington's quarterback situation may be a big factor in Holmes' decision.

12. bojanglesman

I hope so. I'd love to have Holmes back.

13. #28Martin

It's always about the $$$$$$$$$$

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's always about the @@@@@@@@@

15. #28Martin

It's about the $$$$$$$$ and when these pro athletes tell you it's not,, it's even more about it.

16. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Profound.

I do like the agent saying "strong chance" but you just never know. Next few days are going to be something else!

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I personally think it's about the ~~~~~~~ a third of the time, about the ******** a third of the time, and about the >>>>>>> at least half the time.

18. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Is anyone else very worried about

1) Santonio getting suspended again after giving him a long term contract with a huge signing bonus.

2) If Santonio will really care after he gets a huge contract?

3) How many large contracts will the Jets give out? (Scott, Sanchez, Mangold, Brick, Harris (if he gets a long term deal), Revis Pace, Santonio/Braylon/Cromatie?)

19. lax7

lax7 New Member

Edwards should be signed before holmes. endwards had better stats last year, he played all the games, and not as many fumbles if any i cant remember. holmes fumbled and missed easy catches. edwards wants to be a jet and is willing to take a discount. than we can sign moss, or another free agent. we have Patrick turner 6 foot 5, i think he will be good, and he played with sanchez at usc

20. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Who is the Redskins QB? Rex Grossman? If I were Santonio I'd be signing and staying in NY. That's just me though.

Oh yeah, and ~~~~