The argument for taking a QB at 6

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 12, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Sounds like quite the conundrum.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Im all for taking a QB at 6 either Watson or Tribusky...Nothing else matters but QB at this point and we dont have one.

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I remember you saying that before....I was sooooo disappointed afterwards:)

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Don't draft anyone at 6. TRADE DOWN if you can and pick up more picks. The jets have a terrible roster thanks to incompetent GMs. Get as many picks as possible and take best player on your board. Don't reach for any more Hackenbergs or McDougles.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And if he doesn't find a FQB - or at least one who demonstrates that ability - he'll be updating his resume on his express plane back to Houston.

6. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Im all for choosing a qb too but i think Petty can be good enough with proper coaching and a big play making rb behind him. We need Fournett, Mccaffrey or Cook. Even if we get Cutler...a great rb will remedy the need of a Fqb...for now.
    Maybe its just me but the rb for N.E. should have been the MVP or at least co. That game showed the value of a talented rb.

7. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Woooooo Hooooooo, another QB thread!!!

PulseJet likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

There is no one on this Board who evaluates players for a living (at least I don't think so) So like investments ..listen to people in that business before you declare your self a know it all

The best players and NFL starters QBs included, historically, have mostlty all come from Round 1 where you stand the best chance of getting an immediate impact player

GMs Coaches and Scouts all use research firms to come up with their Draft Board plus visits and combines

Ive always liked QBs but there is no one ranked very high in this class

That said ...trade down fill the numerous holes on the Team

And yes ...if a QB is there in later rounds ..go take a chance

jmho

#28 NYJetsO12, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    tomdeb likes this.
  9. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I agree on the trade down...If we can get a trade down mid 1st and acquire another 2nd or third and Watson or Mahomes is still there I'd be all over it although Mahomes is rumoured by many to be available in the 2nd.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jethro. Stop.

Trubisky is worth the #6? Deshaun Watson? Or Kizer? [None of them are 1st-round worthy if you ask me.]

NCJetsfan, Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I've said this time and again, if there's a QB that Mac really believes is the shit, Watson or Trubisky, that's a pick you MUST make. Who gives a fuck about Petty or Hack if Watson turns out to be Steve McNair???

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the problem is perception/opinion........didn't our GM think hack was the shit when he drafted him in round 2 last year?? so i guess we are going to trust his scouting AGAIN this time around - especially with a current group of QB's where there is no real standout and there will be a very fine line between success and failure. Do we trust the jets braintrust to walk that line with success? i don't.

even the best will whiff and hack can very well turn out to be a starting QB but the evidence at this point is nil.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Nature or Nurture?

Tom Brady is talented, driven, a total winner. But he isn't the greatest of all time without hundreds of variables, from Mo Lewis taking out Bledsoe and giving him the opportunity to start to bringing in Randy Moss and Gronkowski and Welker to signing an excellent left tackle in Sebastian Wolmer.

Sanchez could have been Jets QB today had he been given a better supporting cast and his go to receivers allowed to leave in free agency. Geno could have been Jets QB today had he been given a season to learn to play in the pros.

The situation determines the QB as much as his skill set.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

My problem with this whole thing is people say "hey just keep throwing it at the wall and see what sticks" but then also say "you can't draft a QB in back to back drafts!".
    Can't have it both ways. Draft a QB every year if need be.. team is not going to be a serious contender until we get a QB even if the picks we would have used on other players would have worked out.

I'm not saying we should use the #6 pick on a QB but I'm fine with them drafting a QB wherever they see fit until we find the one to lead our franchise.
    I think all the QBs will be there in the 2nd round minus Watson and or Trubinsky so I think they COULD wait until day 2 of they're even eyeing a QB but I guess we'll see.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

The problem with drafting a QB every year is u are limiting ur # of picks on other position players. Now if u trade down every year and gather more picks, then OK.

I still don't like that mentality. Who said it, walsh??. Probably when the draft was 12 rounds. LOL.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right, which is why people just saying, "There's no QB worth taking in the 1st round" is misguided. If you put the right guy into the right situation, they'll succeed. Now of course it's hard to argue that the Jets are "QB Heaven", and where QBs go to get transformed in HOF QBs, but that also means that if they were lucky and could draft Darnold, there's no guarantee that he would succeed with them. So again, it argues for taking the best QB you can get and keep trying until you hit paydirt.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Sitting on a park bench,
    Starting stupid threads with bad intent

FJF and MoWilkBeast like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...so Tom Brady would just suck in Houston SF Greenbay or Tampa ...to just take teams at random

Gun to my head I don't care what type of team I have ill take TB hands down!!!

haha

19. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I honestly don't trust Mac or Toilet either. But what else are we going to do besides remain cautiously optimistic? Woody decided not to fire them. I would have, but be that as it may, all we can do is hope Mac finally gets it right?

And I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to Mac selecting QB's? It really does look like Mac is throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks. But it is what it is

tomdeb likes this.
  20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

If Sanchez couldn't succeed with an elite o-line, elite defense, solid RB play, and Holmes/Edwards/Keller/Cotchery, he couldn't succeed with anyone. 54.8% completions in 2010 with a solid team around him. Still couldn't complete a screen pass. Just couldn't do it.

HomeoftheJets likes this.