The 2021 Jets and Beyond have a Bright Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 23, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

2. NCJetsfan

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I know McGovern didn’t play fantastic this season but if we could get him some help on the IOL (Thuney/Scherff and/or go IOL with the SEA/2nd round pick) I think he would play more like this and less like he did over the first half of the year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I think he will play better regardless. Remember that the OL had no mini-camps, no OTAs, a limited TC, and NO preseason. That's huge for any OL, but especially for one with 4 new starters who were just learning the offense, learning each other, and building chemistry. Compound that with Gase, and it's even more of a problem. The OL more than any other unit, has to work together as one. They have to know how the others react and where they will be, what each other's weaknesses are, etc.

hornblower, NYJetsO12, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And yet, Darnold was supposed to play well behind them.:rolleyes:

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Love seeing stuff like this! McGovern definitely improved during the season. I thought Fant did pretty well too. It was really just the guards that were pretty bad. Not sure how Eiflin did when he showed up. He seemed okay. Van Roten? Terrible.
    Exactly. Things really avalanched on Sam and he couldn't recover. Everyone deserves blame, including himself, but certainly not just himself. New O-line, injured WR's, average at best RB's, and a terrible Head Coach, who just so happens to be the Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach too? Ridiculous.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, what anti-Darnold people are not accounting for is the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" aspect of all these things effect on Darnold. Consider the OL this year. Completely revamped, no one familiar with anyone else, no real T.C., no preseason games, and no surprise that, for the first half of the season at least, everyone called them trash. And yet somewhere around the 8th or 9th game they started getting better, and showed that maybe they weren't trash. Are they 5 Blocks of Granite? Hell no! The OL still needs a lot of improvement, but we went from we need all 5 guys (ok, not Becton) replaced to we probably need to replace one, maybe both Guards.

What that means regarding Darnold is that it IS possible that he could do much better once these major obstacles have been improved. Yes, he looks terrible. Yes, he's the lowest rated QB. And yes, he needs to fix some things, especially his footwork. But all these things made his existing problems much worse.

I'm not banging the table saying we should keep him, but unless Douglas gets a good offer for him, I think it's smarter to hang onto him and see if maybe he's actually much better than most people think he is. And as you said, worst case, drop him if he proves he really isn't all that good.

8. The Dark Knight

Yeah, great points! There is no doubt in my mind Sam will play better in 2021 than he did in 2019 or 2020. Whether it is for the Jets or some other team. I am at the point where I think Sam deserves a fresh start elsewhere, and the Jets can get a fresh start with a new Head Coach and QB, but Sam is not ruined. The Rams and Browns games showed that somehow, after all of this hell he has been through, he still has ability and a will to succeed. With the right coach and right situation: he could be great. With a bad coach and a bad situation: well, we just watched that.

hornblower and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The hiring of Robert Saleh definitely helps the Jets future. It feels brighter than ever tonight! :cool: Now Joe Douglas and Saleh have to get to work and plan this off-season, but it is off to a wonderful start!

10. NCJetsfan

11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

only better tackler on the team was the kicker........:eek:

apjbfc and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice stat.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Interesting stat. Curious to see how Saleh will use him going forward.

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

I felt like Davis was just starting to get into a groove and understand what was going on in the NFL, and then he got injured. If he can stay healthy, I really like his potential in 2021 and going forward.

15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of this team too long to say unequivocally that the Jets have a bright future.

I will say, this is the most faith I've had in the direction of the team since the start of the 2011 season.

apjbfc and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Van roten was ass. should be replaced. elfien did ok. i'd like to keep him cheap as a depth guy but don't want to start him. lewis will probably be back he's a "JD guy" and we kept him despite his disappearance at the end of the season so I don't see him being cut. I think he starts at RG and we bring in schreff or thuney for LG and we will be ok. draft replacements for lewis and fant though. clark is a dark horse as well.

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

nice stats, but he didn’t really pass the eye test for me last year. He’s fast. Ok. I didn’t see any great plays from him last year...can’t remember a single great pass breakup, no picks. I don’t know. I think he’s got the raw skills to be good. He’s got a good shot to develop.

but I think he’s been a bit overrated so far based on just watching the games.

I’m hopeful he can be a good starter for us....but I would consider the safety spot nailed just yet. I do think we have bigger needs, but he’s not quite there yet.

definitely has potential though.

18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I hope...that whole interior was really suspect. I thought if anything Elfien played 2nd best on the OL and Fant, who started out well, played 3rd best. I would upgrade RG/RT/C in that order.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he didn't stand out to me either. was also caught in bad spots a few times and let up big plays. but i htink he has potential to take over the jamaal adams role. I hope we keep maye, bring it sherman to play safety and draft wiggins in the 5th round. we would be set at safety for a while with that

20. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I was thinking about you during the press conference my optimistic friend. It really does feel like between Saleh and Douglas the grown-ups are finally in charge. It's really nice for me to have a sense of optimism going forward for a change. I'm really excited.

NCJetsfan likes this.