The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As long as we got both, I'd be happy, but I'd rather have Lamb and Pittman or Jeudy and Pittman.

2. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Now that we saved 2-4 million in our plans to sign a WR with the signing of Perriman over the more expensive Anderson, and we are still in the running for Clowney I think we should up our offer a bit and get it done. Time for JD to make his move!

3. NCJetsfan

If he does, it should be made clear to Clowney that no more dogging it and taking plays off. Players who do that do not deserve big contracts no matter how talented they are. Hopefully, it will be an incentive-laden contract where if he hustles gets a lot of QB pressures, sacks and TFLs his contract value will escalate. I hope there's also a clause (if the new CBA allows it) that he will be fined for every play he takes off and every time he dogs it on the field.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

An article I read about 30 minutes ago.

Make it happen Joe Douglas!

5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

This is false. We have a little over $37 million but that is not counting Van Roten, Jenkins, McGovern, Hewitt, Burgess, Onwuasor, Perriman, Desir, Andrews, or Christian. Those all add up to over $38 million. There is some wiggle room in the contracts. But that means we will have to make cuts to sign free agents. We are out on Clowney.

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I have not read anywhere how the Jets are "out" on Clowney...

7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

We can free up space with a few cuts but not enough to pay a player 18-20 million per year and sign our draft picks as well. Not to mention we need money for in season signing. Right now I am betting we have to cut winters just to make it without any other signings. Where do you think we can get the money to pay Clowney? It's not there.

8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i like Williamson but i think he's a goner. too many players and money tied up in that position

I don't like WInters much and I think he's a goner

Alternatively both may be faced with renegotiate or get cut.

Personally I do not want Clowney for reasons many have stated, but if Greg felt Clowney was the missing ingredient for some magic I would get behind it.

Lastly, JD has played things pretty tight to the vest. I will be far from shocked if he picks someone other than a OL or WR as we all expect. He will not be swayed by mock drafts and the Mel Kipers of the world. So could he pick an edge with the #11 or a trade back, sure. He might feel little pressure to get the sexiest pick and will be guided by his own compass

twown, ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Is his motor really still a concern or this a remnant from when he was a “bust” after his first couple years? PFF grades every play and he got an insanely good grade last year.

10. NCJetsfan

It could still be a remnant, but many posters claim that he is still taking plays and games off.

11. BleedGreen4ever

How the hell do you expect a top tier talent to take a contract like that?! Lol I mean if you want a big time playmaker you have to pay. Fortunately we have one of the best cap situations in the league and a huge hole to fill. Our defense wich was number one against the run gets, I mean a HUGE boost with Clowney and CJ Mosely coming back. This is a move we should make so we can focus on the offense in the draft.
    He is the missing piece to this defense and I think because we haven’t had one in 15 years you’re all greatly underestimating the need. It is a top three position and we have nothing including the signing today. This guy is a game wrecker and at the most crucial times and if he was considering our offer before the loss of Anderson with us saving 2-4 million from our plans the bump up in pay should secure him.
    if he still wants more wait it out and pray he comes here.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said here. I'm not clamoring for Clowney, but if JD thinks he can add something to warrant his contract, I'll trust his judgement.

On the bigger picture I also trust Douglas, more so since I've seen how he's handled FA. I also agree that he's going to do what he thinks is the best move in the draft, whether it's take an OT at #11, or WR, or trading back, or even taking a position we're not really expecting. I've seen enough to believe that he's learned his lessons from Ozzie and the others he's worked with, and is going to apply them here to building a sustainable winner. With the exception of Gase as HC, I'm the most optimistic I've been in decades.

PJ4Ever, Pags2112 and chandler like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I don't really expect him to accept that. That's the idea. I don't want him, we don't need him (we were already the top run D in the league, how much better could we really get?), and I don't think we have the cap space even if we were to cut Winters, Williamson and Bellamy.

I'm not underestimating anything. He's an elite run stopper, a mediocre pass rusher. That's not what we need, and I certainly wouldn't pay someone like that huge money, hence my incentive-laden deal. If he thinks he's so great, he should be willing to bet on himself that he would get the requisite number of sacks and pressures. We need someone who is an elite edge rusher, and then I don't give a hoot how he plays against the run or if he drops into coverage.

blackssmagic likes this.
  14. BleedGreen4ever

Clearly as I’ve heard with you you don’t watch much football. The Seahawks feasted when he was on the field. Pressures turnovers all from him he’s not a run stuffer he’s one of the most physically gifted players to ever play the position dating back to college. Greg Williams will like a fire under his ass and if you want an elite pass rusher please tell me who is available.
    Maybe the jaguars edge rusher (don’t know how to spell his name) but that would mean missing out on one of the top tackles or one of the top receivers.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Ouch! Tear 'em up Shakespeare!!

Ouch!

Imagine someone directing that at you.............whining to a mod in 3...2....1....

Imagine a GM drafting someone who is "not a good fit."

And imagine someone "who understands football" trying to sell a point on the strength of this uncanny insight: "the offense is too complex...or something."

You two kids...........don't ever stop. . : )

[​IMG]

#1515 joe, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

all sounds right. I'm not sour on Gase though -- but that's a debate for a different day and thread

I think he may surprise people with a better roster

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No doubt with a better roster his chances for success are improved, but I still don't believe he's got what it takes to be a good HC. His ego is way beyond what his actual performance warrants.

18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

They absolutely are not out on Clowney if they want him. Money isn’t a remote issue. The people who say that just don’t want him. They can cut Winters. They can cut Williamson. Money isn’t an issue if they want a player.

19. NCJetsfan

I wonder who Douglas is interested in as backup QB? Right now it's only Darnold and Mike White.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm trying to wrap my brain around why anybody would want to give a huge contract to a guy who had 3 sacks in 11 games last year and was injured for 5 games and all I can come up with is: Jets fan.

NCJetsfan, FJF and J-Raw24 like this.