The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Miami is where free agents go to die. South Florida is an awesome place, fun to party and live a relaxed lifestyle. these guys sign their big contract with Miami and that's what they do.

none of them will pan out- maybe Van Noy since he's mormon. The others LOL

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Miami has so much draft capital this year that they can do a serious rebuild in short order. I think their young coach is pretty solid too. Watched a few of their games last year and pretty impressed. Don't underestimate them.

Noam likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yep... people really don’t want to hear it. I get it, but that doesn’t make it any less real. They have a better roster on paper, a good coach, tons of draft capital... they are moving in the correct direction faster than we are and ironically, it’s because they got rid of the guy we hired. He was so bad that he forced them into a rebuild.

Noam and JetsNation06 like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

Trent Williams’ agent asking the Skins to release him. If that happens, we better be the first call be receives. Screw Fant, he can be a swing tackle like he has been his whole career

jilozzo likes this.
  5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

this ... but just to add, these new rules are only applicable to veteran contracts. players coming off of rookie deals can still hold out without these repercussions

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know that you're biased against Gase, and I'm certainly no fan of his, but you're using a Manish Mehta article as your evidence? Come on, you know that he is biased, and makes up shit to suit his agenda. A GM could have actually said that, but that could be just his opinion, or it could be many, if not every GM's opinion. We just don't know for certain if ANY GM said that. Mehta could have made it all up. We have to hope for the best, that either the light will go on with Gase and he'll learn, or that Douglas will convince the Johnsons to allow him to fire Gase and hire a new HC following this season if the team struggles and underperforms. If Douglas does as good a job with the draft as I think he will, then the team is going to be a lot more talented this season and next, and if the team doesn't perform up to what he thinks it's capable of, I don't think he'll have a difficult time convincing the Johnsons that Gase is holding the team back.

That said, I wouldn't doubt that there is a desire on the part of players to not play for the Jets. In fact, with as inept as their owners, GMs and HCs have been for decades, I'd be totally surprised if they wanted to play here or were at least willing to play here. That's not surprising. That's true in all sports. Players would rather have the opportunity to play for a champion rather than play for a losing team their whole career. Look at poor Ernie Banks of the Cubs. The thing is even if Gase were a great coach, with clueless, meddling owners like the Johnsons, everything could get undermined and players not want to play for the Jets. If I was a player I probably wouldn't want to play for the Jets because of the Johnsons. I think a lot of NFL players realize what a dysfunctional mess the Dolphins were, so they may not have any negative thoughts or feelings towards Gase unless they had some direct experience with him or some of their close friends did.

In spite of that negative perception of the Jets and perhaps Gase, Jamal Adams seems happy here. Think he doesn't want to win a championship? Greg Van Roten wants to play here. Connor McGovern wants to play here. With Douglas, the perception of the Jets around the NFL is changing, and will continue to change for the better.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I was surprised Miami went the way that they did. With all of the draft capital they have, I think they should've waited one more year and secured their QB of the future with a year under his belt (sitting or playing) before they went all in free agent wise.

8. BroadwayAaron

again… You’re pointing out literally the one part of my post where I had some reservations about including it. My far bigger concern is the way he throws people under the bus publicly, having bad relationships with former players... one of them now being a one thousand yard receiver sign in the family deal with our division rival... and having players literally laugh when he gets fired. You’re nuts if you don’t think this kind of thing travels.

Noam likes this.
  9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Because, again, you're spewing horseshit with nothing to back up your claims except a Manish Mehta article siting anonymous sources and his opinion.

Until you can prove your claim that players are intentionally declining the Jets because of Adam Gase, your points are not worth addressing

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

But again youre conveniently leaving out everything I brought up about his tenure in Miami that can be proven with quotes directly from players, agents and family members of players. How come you keep leaving that out?

if you’re going to pretend like none of that matters and plays no role whatsoever in players opinions during free agency and then this conversation isn’t even worth having.

Noam likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

all the bums from last year are returning, many of them on a reduced rate. if they didn't want to play for Adam Gase they wouldn't. This dude is just way too emotional about Gase

12. BroadwayAaron

You have to make up your mind. Either they are a bum or they are back on a reduced rate. Which one is it?

13. Falco21

Because your point wasn't that Gase had animosity with Dolphins players in years past. Your claim was that CURRENT players are declining the JETS offers because of Gase.

Again, I'm still waiting for the evidence that proves Gase is causing players to walk away from the Jets

14. BrowningNagle

no you can be a bum and still come back for cheap. salary has little to do with performance. everyone who has ever had a job knows that

15. Falco21

Players are returning including a guy who had higher offers elsewhere. How does any of that, whether they are bums or not, help prove your case that Gase is steering people away from the Jets?

16. BroadwayAaron

No, my point was that everything about his past which can be proven with quotes from everyone involved absolutely plays a role in the way players view him as a coach. Tack on the fact that he wouldn’t even endorse his star running back and tossed a few other guys under the bus this past year as well.

17. BroadwayAaron

so you’re pumping off to Adam Gase just because a bunch of guys who are called bums decided to come back and play for him? Also which ones were they? Because outside of Alex Lewis everybody that’s come back has being on the defensive side of the ball.

18. BrowningNagle

im not pumping off on anyone. you are hyper emotional

19. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

What would be a satisfactory deal for TW? Worth a mid-round pick? Or 5th maybe?

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Conditional Picks ;), his value really seems to be taking a hit. Perhaps a 6th and maybe another pick next year with some conditions that could make it a 4th or 5th

sozopol likes this.