The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

At least we know Clowney turned down the shit ass Dolphins LOL

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Those numbers for Clowney are extremely alarming and I hope we aren’t involved at all if that’s what he gets. Hard to imagine we’re going to be involved though if he’s making it clear he doesn’t want to play for bad teams.

3. Falco21

Putting us in the same class as the Dolphins is ridiculous. We're not a very good team but the Dolphins are on entirely different level of bad.

And it has already been reported that Clowney will likely accept less money for less years. I wouldn't be shocked if Douglas offered somewhere around $15 million for a 2 or 3 year deal

Clowney is a game changer for the entire defense. He would help the secondary and allow Adams to roam while instantly upgrading our pass rush tremendously

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

damn, why would the players agree to that? NFLPA really screwed up

5. BroadwayAaron

Right now the Dolphins have a better roster on paper assuming they land Tua. Yes I’m aware “on paper” doesn’t mean anything concrete but I think the gap between us and the Dolphins is wayyyy smaller than you want to believe it is.

6. Falco21

On paper? They have no QB, no offensive line, no wide receivers, but they have the highest paid corner.

Tua has had two ankle injuries and a hip injury. He's also a lefty, which doesn't often translate well in the NFL. And that's if they draft him, which, as a Jets fan, I hope they do. I believe he will be a complete bust.

The Jets have a starting young QB, decent wide receivers, a good defense with a pro bowl safety, a bad ass running back, and a new look offensive line. I would think our situation is far more appealing than the Dolphins. And as I said previously, don't underestimate the power of Gregg Williams and guys wanting to play in his defense

7. BroadwayAaron

Right now Sam and Gregg Williams are the only draws we have other than a lot of money. Gase is a detractor, we have one competent WR under contract, we have an RB that the coach has no idea what to do with, state taxes are shit, New Jersey, etc.

Parker would be our #1 receiver right now by the way. Even if Robby resigns Parker would be our 1. Although with Gase he’d probably be inactive. Don’t underestimate the power of Miami in general as well as no state income tax. There are a whole lot of reasons someone would choose the Dolphins over the Jets right now.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Because the majority of players are not affected by it. The majority of players saw it as a way to make 2-3 hundred grand more before the flame out of the league. The guys that were going to hold out are going to be ok no matter what. The deal helps the guys that are going to have to get real jobs in their mid to late twenties.

All Gas No Shake and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the union is weak. the players should have guaranteed contracts like all the other leagues

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Dolfags have a better head coach--he did an amazing job with that squad given the shit he had to deal with at the beginning of the season.

11. Falco21

Please point me to one article that proves the point that Adam Gase is a "detractor". Show me one piece of reporting that proves that players are not signing with the Jets because of Gase.

And if you think Bell had a rough year last year because of Gase, then you are completely clueless. Bell's running style requires a solid offensive line, something we did not have whatsoever. This point was proven considering in 2 weeks of free agency, Douglas has made 5+ transactions on the offensive line alone

Skicats and FJF like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No other league has any language pertaining to guaranteed contracts in their cba’s

also, if the nfl wanted to do guaranteed contracts all these 3-5 year deals worth x with y guaranteed would just become 2 years for y.
    Players aren’t getting ripped off, they get every dime they agreed to be guaranteed when they sign the contract.

#1372 FJF, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Dolfags? C’mon man you’re better than that. I’m pretty sure you’re not a middle schooler from 2002.

#1373 MaximusD163, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for a VERY shaky PI call at the end of the 2nd game, they would have swept us last year.

Ptflea2, jilozzo and BroadwayAaron like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I'm glad they did. It must have been some compromise in order to get something they wanted.

16. BroadwayAaron

I can’t get into the Bell/Gase carousel for a 50th time. In terms of Gase being a detractor... you’re just in denial if you think a guy that throws his players under the bus, has former players laughing when he gets fired and has other players speaking out against him in public isn’t a detractor. And there’s also this which is Manish, but still you don’t have to be good at puzzles to put the pieces together:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200316-dtj2whneybfdnnpwofpsbz6tbq-story.html

“A second general manager cracked that the Jets also have to pay an “Adam Gase Tax” to convince coveted free agents to play for the mercurial head coach. (Current Jets defensive players view Gregg Williams as their head coach, so perhaps luring defensive free agents will be easier). ”

There’s an extreme level of denial when it comes to evaluating ourselves compared to the rest of the AFC East. Shit there’s an entire thread on it.

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Dolphins looked like they were doing the right thing last season and clearing the roster for a full rebuild. Why they’ve gone full-Tannenbaum in free agency and signed a bunch of ageing and mediocre vets is a mystery to me.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Falco21

Lmao

So your argument is supported by a Manish Mehta article with "anonymous sources" from a "general manager of a winning franchise". Give me a fuckin break! LOL

Keep spewing horseshit. Normally people spew the said horseshit when it fits their argument. In this case, you're spewing horseshit with no way of supporting your argument. Players have not openly declined the Jets because of Gase. In fact, Douglas has stayed true to his plan and is not overpaying for free agents, thus declining them. Jenkins just resigned with the Jets having had better offers on the table, including one from New England.

Manish Mehta LOL!!

19. BroadwayAaron

Aging and mediocre isn’t an accurate description. Byron Jones is one of the best CBS in the league and is only 27. Shaq Lawson is 25. Jordan Howard is 25. Kyle Van Noy is 28. Ted Karrass is 27. I think all of those guys are above average. I don’t agree with some of the contract numbers but the Dolphins are adding a lot of talent. And they are going to potentially add Tua to that list come the end of April. They are having a good offseason and they have a good coach moving forward.

20. BroadwayAaron

This is a very dramatic post. Instead of talking about the three other things I brought up you decided to harp on the one thing I actually showed reservation about. That says all I need to know.