The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I loled. Well done.

I'd rather grab one in the fifth or sixth to be honest, and roll with it. Grab a heady Big 10 quarterback whose OK playing in cold weather. Brian Lewerke, Nate Stanley, etc. and roll with it. Maybe we walk into the next Gardner Minshew.

I've seen enough of Mike Glennon and Drew Stanton to know we can kiss our seasons good bye if they come into the game. I like Siemien still.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Man, all I know is after FA I still really want the Jets to take Jeudy at 11 if he’s there.

I’d hit OT in round 2 or 3.

3. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

you like Siemien but think Stanton and Glennon who have had better games and can sling it when given protection tho. Idk but my eye test says Siemien isn’t very good and those two are vets who have started many games and can be good game managers who can still make plays if needed. Can’t say that about S man

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You are correct but in this country, even after an arrest the accused has the presumption of innocence - they are not punished simply because someone says they did something wrong. For the record, all charges from the first arrest were dismissed. All felony charges from his second arrest were also dismissed and he pled no contest to violations of reckless driving and was given six months of "non-reporting probation." That appears to have expired without incident and the NFL elected not to impose discipline. We're certainly not talking public enemy number one here. Perspective.

Imagesrdecieving and K'OB like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Douglas - who really hasn't said much and is keeping things close to his vest - did say that he wants guys with character, who want to win. I'm not sure Robby completely fills those requirements.

chandler and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  6. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

agreed I think that’s the biggest thing ppl aren’t talking about. Not only does he want more than he’s obviously valued at. But he’s not a great character and stand up guy based off some things he has done. So maybe JD is looking at getting a few young studs in the draft and move on.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

As long as there's a dead horse around I'll bet that Idzik, Tannenbaum and MacCagnan all said the exact same thing.

Regardless of who said it I don't believe Anderson has disqualified himself, especially with his expectations no doubt closer to earth today.

8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

What does he mean by character though? Tebow had character in spades, and was whiter than white, but when you got down to it he was more interested in trying to prove to people he was a QB than in doing whatever was needed help the team win and play in the NFL. I don't believe character means that he is without blemishes, but it does mean that he is team-first, has a work ethic and is committed to winning. I'm not sure how Robby fits by these characteristics but JD should. A few minor discretions really shouldn't matter if the other bits are right.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Robby Anderson's best deal is whatever the Jets are willing to offer him at this point. The NFL clearly does not value him as a #1 WR and the Jets clearly do value him as a #2 WR that fits with the existing personnel. If his agents aren't trying to talk him into a return to the Jets under a reasonable deal they're really doing him a disservice.

Anderson is the kind of guy who when he is out of football he won't have anything to fall back on and so staying stable in the NFL is really key for his future. That means the Jets on a 2nd-tier deal as opposed to a 1 year prove it that will not be followed up by anything else if he has an off-year or gets in trouble again.

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

According to Roto, Quinton Dunbar is apparently available for trade in his last-year of contract. He'd solve some problems for us.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I love this string of tweets from our new guys

Br4d, themorey, blackssmagic and 7 others like this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The funniest thing is that McGovern was one of PFFs highest rated pass blockers in 2019z

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NyTitans

NyTitans New Member

Reports are that Clowney is deciding between the Jets and Titans. Cant imagine a scenario where he doesnt go to the team with more cap space, that's a contender, with his former DC as HC.

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I have no special knowledge but my guess is based on where the teams are, the Jets are offering slightly more with a shorter deal. Less secured money overall but a chance to cash in next year. We’ll see.

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Clowney is the type of high priced FA that worries me.
    Can he stay healthy and will he stay hungry enough to earn that massive contract?

We can probably re-sign Robbie Anderson, Jenkins, and Lecher all for the price tag Clowney will get, which helps all 3 units.

blackssmagic likes this.
  16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Not a Robbie fan and at this point I would pull any deal we have on the table. We stood by him in tough times and he's chasing the last nickel. Enough said -- we know where his priorities are

I know there's all this chatter about Clowney but is he really the only game in town? I recall last season a lot of movement for Edge guys, e.g., Ford, Clark etc.

People have been waiting a long time for the CLowney they saw in college to re-appear on a consistent basis. Yes he can make a highlight reel at times, but I think the money can be better spent -- which is ultimately what everything comes down to in a capped league

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I mean...nobody's perfect, and it's up to Douglas to decided what "character" means. I was just pointing out that given what we do know about Robby, he is far from perfect, and that may enter into Douglas's thinking.

MoWilkBeast and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I want to know where the hotshots are who said he was going to the Titans cause he’s following them on social media? Who knows maybe he eventually will sign with them, but where are those guys?

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why?

Be the bigger person and let it die a quick death, it is a pointless taunt really.

Oh, I wasn't one of those hotshots btw.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Kudos to our GM so far for navigating through a landmine of issues with our roster, left to him courtesy of our prior regime one precious free agency and one draft too late. JD is flying steadily under the NFL radar, plugging along, making much needed roster purges and filling hole after hole left by Mac. He seems to be methodical and thorough and avoid the splashy high caliber signing or bidding war with players that use the patsy Jets to drive the price up and then sign elsewhere.
    With the signing of our new CB, I'm wondering how much more wiggle room he has left? Anderson? an edge rusher? His journey is far from over but we can find some comfort in knowing at long last, that we now have a GM that knows what is wrong with this team, attacking the most critical areas first, making us better than we were, and positioning himself for his first draft with all options open. Good all JD, welcome to the Jets fan base. Every move you make, every step you take, will be watching you. We need to brake the curse of years of piss poor drafting starting with 2020.