The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’ll listen to an argument for staying and getting a tackle over Ngakoue, won’t agree but I’ll listen. No way am I passing that deal for either receiver though. Not when we would be in prime Justin Jefferson territory while adding a bonafide pass rusher.

dawinner127 and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I'm not against the deal but I hope Douglas tries to negotiate. I would rather not give up a 3rd... I would do #11 and our 4th for #20 and Ngakoue. That's would allow us to still get 2 receivers and o line help. Also we can free up a lot of space. Johnson, Enunwa, and Robert's need to be cut.

Mr mittens likes this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would do this trade in a heart beat. 11 for 20 and Yannick? I would then look at someone like Jefferson at 20. That boy is going to be a stud - he was a complete joy to watch all year at LSU. 2-3-3 address CB/OL/OL or any combo.

FJF and J-Raw24 like this.
  4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i think that trade is a bit unrealistic. I think its a bit Jet-sided if you will.

Chappy13 and BacktoQueens like this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't think Jefferson lasts to #20, and that's my problem. Jefferson has shot up on people's radars and I think he's gonna be gone by 20.

So we would solve our pass rush but then find ourselves, yet again, hoping for a diamond in the rough as a true #1 receiver for Darnold.

This draft class is loaded with receivers. But here's the problem: Winston is currently available, as is Flacco, and Newton. Tannehill just signed a monster deal. Brady went to Tampa Bay. Mariota went over to Oakland. Indy signed Rivers. Bears signed Foles.

Which means the top teams on the board are going to be going after offensive line and wide reviever, two huge needs for us. We have addressed part of the line in free agency, but still do not have a true #1 WR

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Man I would jump for joy if we can pull that off with a 4th rounder and not one of the 3rds

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  7. Falco21

Well in the article it was written about as a trade that "could be", not one that is actually being talked about.

This is all speculation on what could possibly be offered

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is the type of trade that got the Jets in trouble in the first place: 3rd and a 5th for Kris Jenkins, 3rd and a 5th for Braylon Edwards. Those deals add up over time and suddenly you haven't drafted a quality player in the 3rd or the 5th for a decade because it's hard to do that and you traded 20% of the opportunities for a couple of guys who lasted a couple of years.

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

yea I get it....just throwing my .02 into the ring while we're shootin the shit about it.....ftr, I would do that shit in one second

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not a bad comp there. A fast WR with hands will always have some value even if he is one-dimensional in many ways.

Ginn is a better player though. He was a quality KR and PR in his prime. Teams trusted his hands under pressure.

11. Falco21

While I do agree with the premise of your argument, I also think this is very different than those two previous trades. When we traded for Edward's, he was 26 years old and came off one of his worst years. When we traded for Jenkins, he was 28 years old and 2 years away from the end of his career.

Ngakoue is an absolute stud and is only 24 years old and in his 4th year in the league. He would be a game changer at a position of need.

But yes, it still makes me queezy giving up draft picks as I stated above

Mr mittens and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Yannick isn't just a position of need it's a premium position. It's a position that has a multiplier effect on a defense. It makes everyone else on the DL look better as he is getting doubled every passing down. It makes player's in the secondary look better as they have to cover for less time. It makes Greg Williams job infinitely easier as he doesn't have to scheme him way to pressure every time.

Obviously JD has a plan and he sets a value. I'm glad to hear that he is involved as a player of this caliber has a tremendous value.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13. Falco21

I'm thinking about having him on our roster....

Joe D needs to find a way to make this happen! We wouldn't just solve our pass rushing problem, we would have an ELITE pass rusher who is 24 years old!

Mr mittens likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Robby Anderson regardless of which Qbs he's played with ala Shitztragic, McCown, Petty, Darnold etc ranks 2nd All-Time in average yards per pass reception within franchise history; only behind Don Maynard.

He emerged in preseason with Petty as an overlooked and potential diamond in the ruff and developed into an NFL deep threat and one hell of a speed burner who's improving his route running ability while up against #1 CBs on the outside. The best of Robby Anderson has yet to come as the best of Sam Darnold has yet to come either.

And he's never even ever had a Quarterback with an O-Line for pass protection in order for his routes to develop. Just food for thought.

Never had a QB with an O-Line for his deep routes to develop.

And fans act and pretend that we've seen the best of Anderson's talents on the outside? I've seen him smoke entire secondaries and not get the ball thrown his way because QBs were running around for their lives.

He deserves to be a Jet opposite of a Jeudy/Lamb on the outside with Crowder working the slots. Alongside a Quarterback with time in the pocket. Best trio of Jet WR's in a very long time.

Everyone's beloved Wayne Chrebet put up 1k+ yard 1x for us as a Jet. Just once. We all loved Coles and Moss too but they weren't consistent 1k+ yard receivers on a yearly basis neither. So please stop with the whole "stats" because he's "yet to have a 1k season" when he put up 900+ already and still getting better and developing with multiple QB's, different systems every year while surrounded by less than ideal situations.

The amount of times he's burnt secondaries with blazing speed its a shame his quarterbacks were getting sacked. Criminal.

#934 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Honestly rather give picks and cap space for Ngakoue

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

if we can get him for 12 to 15 mil per year or the one year deal he’s rumored to be maybe accepting, then I’m fine with it. Any more than that and he can go play for either of the other two teams. You have to assume if one of those teams is Seattle, he’s just going to stay there especially if money is equal. And I hope it’s equal or more than what we are offering.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Would much rather Kline or Van Roten anyway.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you really rather wait to see how successful the program is before declaring success?

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If it happens, I wouldn't hate it, but giving up a high pick to get the player, and then having to give a big contract to that player is far from desirable, even for a great player like Ngakoue. If Douglas was to give up our 2nd and 4th round picks, I think he'd almost have to trade down in the 1st to try to recoup some picks. I'd be excited about getting Ngakoue, but if we missed out on getting a great OT or WR prospect, I wouldn't be happy. I'd rather have Becton/Thomas and Pittman, Jr. than Ngakoue.

I can totally understand why you and others would make that trade. It would be great to see him playing D for the Jets. If it happens, I won't hate it or be mad. I will understand.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand. He's a great player, and would be very exciting to see him on our D.

mrjet80 likes this.