The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

their problems run deeper than this, but obviously when you invest big in one player and he doesn't deliver it really hurts the team. It's like handicapping your salary cap by 10-20 million. Gurley and Goff both being paid way more than they're delivering.

there are people on this board who are still advocating this formula for us (big FA contracts; trade away picks) even with the Exhibit Rams in front of their eyes

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

I would take that and draft Justin Jefferson...

FJF likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don’t think the jags are getting a better offer than ending with picks 7 and 11 in this draft nor do they have much leverage here. He’s not playing for them.

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

LOL. No team would say no to that which is why it would never happen. The Jags are gonna want more than one pick let alone give up one too.Think about it the Jets stay in the first round, move down only 9 spots and still pick up an EDGE like Ngakoue ??

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of the Clowney situation has to do with him not being able to take a team physical. No team should be paying him big money, but if they are then they probably want to make sure he can pass a physical considering he's a walking injury report.

K'OB likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I have a bad feeling that Bill Belichick and N.E is going to sign and land Todd Gurley in order to feature a smash mouth ground and pound style of attack for a Bradyless offense.

7. BroadwayAaron

So Bill Belichick is a turd without Brady, but them signing Gurley for 10-12 carries a game is what keeps them on top?

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Gurley is a great RB to have. Yes. Bill will become exposed withouts Brady. Bill will need great offensive players to hide behind such as a Gurley.

9. BroadwayAaron

Are you still under the impression Gurley is a 20 carry per game guy?

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

And I'm not the one calling him a turd without Brady. His record without Brady is what calls him a turd. 7 years without Brady and a career losing record without him with only two winning seasons/five losing seasons. Let's see how he does during his 8th season without Brady come 2020. He'll become exposed and I rather not have Gurley be able to carry his work load.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's more similar to the Corey Dillon situation than you think. He was 29 and in the runningback graveyard age range when he went and New England road him to a SB. The extent of Gurley's knee injury is a bit of an unknown. I don't think it's good, but I don't think it's impossible for a team to give him one or two years and just try to run him into the ground.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Please don't, I am struggling to cope.

13. BroadwayAaron

The dude could barely play in the SUPER BOWL and looked about as pedestrian as possible this year. I think he's a great addition in a rotation and Michel/Gurley/White is a hell of a rotation. But I think his days as a workhorse are done. He's had knee issues since college and at age 25 it's already starting to take away his explosiveness and endurance in general. Corey Dillon was a complete freak "accident" if you will. Just like Thomas Jones for us.

14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I agree with you that it feels light on compensation - but think about how much it would cost for the Jags to jump from the 20's to a pick outside of the top 10?

Would you make that trade back without a future 1st?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it would depend if JD can get the contract numbers to match up. If he can I'm thinking he would do that trade. Some articles I've read have Josh Jones still being around at #20 and JD supposedly likes him.

It's all speculative but as a fan I'd like to see that trade happen.....

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Please. We don't need another DT. WE have Quinnen Williams, Steve McClendon, Folorunso Fatukasi and Nathan Sheperd.

17. BroadwayAaron

Whatever is happening with Robby must be fascinating. Think about that... that's how bad this WR free agent market is. Robby Anderson is going to be the first domino to fall that sets everything in motion. A glorified deep threat. A slightly-above-average-income man's Malcolm Floyd.

18. NCJetsfan

While it's nice to get confirmation of what I believed to be true, I don't like it that someone is speaking to the media, even anonymously, when no one is supposed to be speaking to the media about transactions. I hope that Douglas finds out who it was and either fires the guy, making a clear example of him, or fines the hell out of him, and tells him that if it happens again he's not only fired, but Douglas will let every other NFL team that that guy cannot be trusted.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  19. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

Don't know why you're so mad, he's right. The Jets fielded the 28th ranked O-Line in the NFL last year. Any RB, even a great one like Bell, would struggle behind the Jet's O-line. Look at Bell's stats during his last year in Pittsburgh and his first year with the Jets.

He went from averaging 4 yards a carry with the Steelers to 3.2 yards a carry with the Jets. 9 Rushing TDs in Pittsburgh vs 2 with the Jets. 85 receptions in Pittsburgh vs 66 in NY for 200 less yards.

I'll let you guess what the #1 factor was in his drop off in production last year. I'll even give you a hint, the correct answer rhymes with "Ho Mine"

#879 Inigo Montoya, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  20. NCJetsfan

Fixed that for you