The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know YOU are. And I appreciate it. I’m making sure other people who are having unexplained meltdowns understand what I actually said.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

top notch is nice but not necessary. INdeed if you have a top notch and the artifact of that is the other corners are below-par guess who will get picked on. It's a team game.

Add to that the risk: Tru was supposed to be top notch; Revis 2.0. If for any reason they don't pan out your whole team is screwed. Exhibit A. Jets are essentially forfeiting 10M of salary cap because of the Tru disaster. Put that in perspective. Two more Pooles. One more real solid OL

some people refuse to learn from past mistakes.

#802 chandler, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I'll keep saying it, name recognition. People are claiming this offseason has been a failure or poorly managed , simply because of name recognition.

When you have an infestation in your home, it sometimes takes a while to get it out completely. It's gonna be some time before everyone can swallow what needs to occur to build a continuous winning franchise.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, J-Raw24 and 2 others like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Overreactions are what we do best round here

SOJAZ and FJF like this.
  5. Falco21

The pot calling the kettle black LOL!!

6. BroadwayAaron

so either you realize that you have no idea what I said after I said it multiple times and you’re using this as a defense mechanism or you truly still have no idea what I said and you’re so worked up that you’re continuing to run with it. Either way it’s bad.

7. BroadwayAaron

oh of course. I’m used to it. Still very entertaining.

And to answer your original post which I just realize I never did, I tend to agree with which is why I said, for the fourth time now, I wouldn’t want to pay a cornerback $50 mil over three years. But I do worry that we are just assuming Williams will turn every piece of shit he touches into gold. He might, but we also can’t assume he will be here past next year which is hopefully when we end up firing the head coach. Poole is on a one year deal. If we sign someone like Amukamara you have to assume that’s a one year deal. We have to nail whichever draft pick we use on a CB or else we’re back to square one at this time next year.

8. Falco21

Your exact words were as follows:

Let's dissect this statement. Darius Slay, as we now know, is slated to sign for $50 million. In order to get him that money, Philly gave up a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick in the 2020 draft.

Per your statement, you "probably" would have completed this same trade, but not with the amount of money he was given. So based on that statement, you would have been willing to give up 2 draft picks, one of which is in the 3rd round, for a 29 year old corner. Again, give away 2 of our 11 picks, or 18% of our draft, to a team for a corner when we have holes at Offensive Line, WR and Pass Rusher. Your logic is that we are not likely to get a top tier corner in the draft considering we will likely be going with WR and OL in the first few picks. So based on your logic, that you stated, this roster needs a 29 year old top tier corner more than 2 draft picks in order to build a winning foundation for years to come.

9. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Overall, I'm pleased with the job JD is doing. Solid additions at reasonable prices, with flexible contracts. This is the right way of doing things. I will more impressed if we can accumulate more picks in the draft and continue to build that way, along with a couple of UFA's that pan out. This is doable, we have a lot of talent and experience in the front office.

I'm glad were staying away from pricey FA's. The one exception to this would be if we can do a short term deals with (1-2 years) with someone like Clowney. Then we make sure we have a rusher going into the year, but were not hamstrung by the cap next year. Keep flexible or risk getting caught with your pants down like the Rams. The league is to competitive and unpredictable to bet on a 1-2 year window.

10. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Lets offer the Leonard Williams pick to the Rams for Brandon Cooks who is on the trading block.

11. Falco21

Could be a good backup option for Darnold

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

But you're also routinely willing to give up draft picks for veterans and have stated so. Most people think that strategy is awful regardless of money. Probably because that strategy is what gave us a lost decade of football.

So I get where @Falco21 is coming from.

13. BroadwayAaron

I think you're having issues with your opinion not being the only opinion shared. I don't see any other reason why you'd be so up in arms about someone saying they'd probably give up a third and a fifth for a top tier CB, which we have a need for, because we can still draft OL/WR/Edge in the first three rounds. "Based on my logic" isn't used correctly here because it's followed with something I didn't say. But honestly who gives a shit? No one wants to read this. Just respond with insults and accusations of trolling so we can move on from this stupid "conversation".

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hes basically a bobble head doll at this point. concussion after concussion

J-Raw24 and All Gas No Shake like this.
  15. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Guys like Ronald Darby, Logan Ryan, or Artie Burns are on my radar for CBs
    Markus Golden would be a great signing as an edge rusher as would the productive Derek Wolfe
    At receiver I'm hoping Robby would come to his senses and come back as a quality deep threat along with a top pick in round one or two
    At OT/G Andrus Peat would be a good signing as long as he isn't overvaluing himself

All these guys should still be on the Jets radar entering Thursday and hopefully continue to get value.

16. BroadwayAaron

I'm "routinely" willing to do it because if what you're giving up is a pick that has less than a 50% chance of turning out to be a top tier guy and you're getting a top tier guy in return, that benefits the team.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Could be similar to Mark Brunell with Mark Sanchez. Great veteran who can give him words of wisdom, but likely can't do much if forced into action.

Falco21 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I guess "top tier guy" is about as vague as it gets but either way Slay ain't a top tier guy

Falco21 likes this.
  19. Falco21

I guarantee that if you polled this board, more than 75% would agree with me that giving up 2 draft picks for a 30 year old corner with our current roster would be an idiotic move.

You would think that after the Revis and Trumaine Johnson debacles, you would have learned this lesson.

My breakdown of your comments was everything you said. It all boils down to one fact, you think it would have been ok, in your mind, to give up 2 draft picks for a corner because we need one. That's the point that I believe is ridiculous. Something that Joe Douglas seems to think also.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm down. At some point this team needs to learn to value the backup QB position. Especially since Sam Darnold hasn't made it through 16 games ever

ColoradoContrails and Mogriffjr like this.