The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Another guy off the board that I am happy we avoided.

Douglas is treating his draft picks like gold, which I love. No overpaying and no mindless trades giving away picks.

2. Falco21

With the HUGE holes at Offensive Line and the need of a true #1 WR for Darnold and a pass rusher, why in the hell would you trade 2 picks for a 30 year old corner?

I'd love to hear the logic behind this one

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because we have a HUGE hole at CB, we’d keep our first which is where we could find a WR or OL, keep our second where we could find yet another, and still have a third rounder where we could, you guessed it, find another. Do you just not want to address CB? I’d love to hear the logic behind that one.

FJF likes this.
  4. Clint

Clint New Member

As a Jet fan and a huge NFL fan I pay attention to what the other teams in the division are doing. I keep on seeing people say Buffalo mortgaged their future. Unfortunately this is completely inaccurate. I have close friends that are Bills fans and we talk all the time about our teams. The Bills had 10 draft picks and multiple picks in each of the late rounds. They still have 7 picks this year after acquiring Diggs and At least 1 in each round minus their first which they got a proven # 1 WR on a 4 year contract that is less than half of what Cooper is getting. Those Multiple late round picks likely weren’t even making the roster. They also have all their high draft picks next year. They didn’t mortgage anything away. They also have a very good GM in which I am jealous of. They are in a great cap situation and will be able to retain their key young players like White, Milano, Dawkins etc. Top 3 defense in which most of the players are returning, they kept the entire Oline intact and added a # 1 WR to pair with Brown and Beasley. They have done everything a team SHOULD do to surround a young QB. I really hope Joe has a plan here to support Darnold.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Get some young corners via the draft. If he were the last piece to a puzzle, I would make the trade, but we need those picks.

6. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

This. Watching games last year on a scale of 1-10, corner play was like a 9 on the urgency list. Williams schemed nicely with a bunch of corners none of us ever heard of and the result was respectable. We need to keep working on addressing O line, get Sam some more weapons in the passing game and focus on pass rush.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to lean towards wanting to give up the 2nd rounder for Yannick. He's only 25 and will be a franchise piece for the next 5+ years. We can still go OT at 11 and WR/CB with either 3rd round pick.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

If you can guarantee me a top notch corner with a third rounder while still having another third rounder, Id do it. That’s what it comes down to. Regardless the money is absurd so I wouldn’t have made this exact deal anyway.

9. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I think it was the Jags game.

Nope Dolphins game

#789 BrickcityJet, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  10. Falco21

So fill the corner position with a $50 million corner and lose 2 draft picks.

Seems like a legitimate way to build a winning core for the next 5 years. Do I really need to explain why giving away 2 draft picks for a 30 year old corner with this current roster would be a stupid move?

I get it, you like to troll on here, but this is beyond stupid

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

I’ve said twice that I wouldn’t make that trade considering the contract he got. Reading comprehension is key. Try again.

12. Falco21

Why do we need a "top notch" corner. If you have a solid pass rush and elite safety, which we have, you don't need a top notch corner

chandler likes this.
  13. Falco21

Ok so money is an issue but giving away draft picks is not?

Got it

14. 101GangGreen101

Jets need reliable corners, you don't always need a star at the position to succeed, I think the Jets can continue with the youth movement in the secondary. Jets have one of the best safety pairings in the league. Gotta get that pass-rush to compliment the secondary.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and chandler like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

This doesn’t even make sense. I’m assuming you meant it in reverse but you’re so worked up you can’t think straight. I already responded about the picks, you can go read that.

16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

There’s some talented CBs in the draft. I’m thinking the Jets are drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd round.......much rather do that than pay out the nose for Slay. Glad they didn’t get him.

17. BroadwayAaron

I hope no one thinks I’m saying we fucked up by not making this trade. Never said that or implied that. I said I’d PROBABLY have given up the draft compensation but not with that contract.

18. Falco21

Read my edited comment. I'm posting on a phone with swipe. It could also be my complete shock regarding your ignorance that caused the typo.

One of the two

19. Falco21

Agreed.

I guess not all of us have learned their lesson after the Revis debacle

20. 101GangGreen101

I didn't get that impression ... just having a conversation