The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I was on the cut Winters bandwagon but based upon the contracts that Brandon Shell and others have gotten so far he might just be a bargain if we keep him for one more year (or at least until we draft his replacement.

Br4d likes this.
  2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

So at this point.. Is clearly OT, or WR in round 1... What do we do?

Burnz likes this.
  3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

OT or WR

Jonathan_Vilma, Br4d and FJF like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't understand (and still don't) why you responded to him in the way you did. Similarly, I don't understand why you launched into Bills FA history in your response to me. It had nothing to do with what I said to you. It's like you thought I said that the OL wasn't important or that I didn't think that needed to be the Jets' priority this offseason.

In the same manner, your response to Colorado had nothing to do with what Colorado said. That's the issue. It's about the context. You responses to both of us come across as if you think we needed educating about the importance of the OL, what happened in Buffalo, and how Douglas should handle the Jets. We don't. Nothing either of us said even remotely suggested that we don't think the OL important or that it should be the Jets' priority this offseason. If that wasn't your intent, OK, but you need to learn when to quote someone, and how to respond so that it's clear what you mean.

I'm not upset with you, just don't understand why you respond the way you do.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I say if Anderson or Perriman is NOT signed by the Jets you have to think WR with the 11th pick, with either Lamb or Juedy.

if we get one of the WRs above signed, go with the best of the top 4 OL available. If none available, try to trade down to garner extra draft picks. Then you go with the BPA with either Edge, CB, OL, or WR.

One caveat. In addition to edge we are potentially opening more holes with Williams situation. I think we can grab a cheap veteran DT in FA. .

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Here's an awesome aspect to this FA. Some of you have gradually hit on and I think it's far more significant than what people realize.

..but

It took ONE off-season for JD to stop the over paying, being used by players to jack up their bids, even though they never wanted to play for us on the first place, type, bullshit.

We are no longer going to get dicked around by these scum bag agents.

He's a guy who clearly sets a value for a player and sticks to it, he will not over pay, and he will still find guys to buy into the future of this team.

It's been a long road. It has.

This off-season and the moves JD is making, hell, even the moves he is not making, have been nothing short of impressive to me so far.

Finally. Some hope. It's been awhile.

Br4d, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 13 others like this.
  7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Bingo!

Here is a perfect example of what you posted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Br4d, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 12 others like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

My guess is they will draft or sign a potential replacement and then offer winters his choice of a pay cut or release. He’s an nfl player but should be cheaper than the 7.5 he’s due. Douglas loves him and he was a warrior for us last year till he couldn’t do it anymore. Douglas will treat him with that respect.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Funny enough, but the deeply talented WR class in this draft, I think, is impacting our chances of signing Anderson SIGNIFICANTLY!

The money he is looking for is not materializing for a few reasons, one of which, I believe, is because of the draft class upcoming. No purpose in spending a ton of money on a WR when you have so many talented rookies coming out. I think we may be able to reach a deal with Anderson that is much more manageable

Br4d, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  10. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

You may be right! Can imagine JD not being in a hurry to replace him but personally I think he should be moved (not just reduced)

His price tag isn't cheap if one factors in missed games (which i think in his case should be done); and i think many people are biased by the fact that he wasn't our worst OL (which truth be told is not an endorsement of him being good).

I still have a bit of a grudge against him for his public display of disgust against Sam last year.

11. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I don't recall this. When did that happen?

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Thank you for making me laugh this morning. Sometimes the simplest things...

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets are willing to offer Anderson a decent deal he will probably have to take it because it doesn't look like the rest of the NFL sees him as a #1 WR and nobody is paying though the nose for a #2 this year. Not with the guys available in the draft.

We may wind up signing him to a deal that is cheaper than what he'd have gotten from us if he signed before free agency.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah this is actually a good thing. In an average to below average receiver draft class Anderson probably gets that $14-15 million in the first couple days. Now we're going to get him on the contract he should get.

Good work by Douglas not overpaying immediately out of fear.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, Br4d and 1 other person like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Crazy that the market hasn’t materialized for a guy that plays like Tyrell Williams but thinks he’s Randy Moss.

Br4d, No Fly Zone and FJF like this.
  16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

forget the exact game but it was on a blown snap that sailed over Sam's head and resulted in a safety

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I probably would have done this but rumor is he’s getting a new deal to make him close to the highest paid CB. That’s where I’m out.

18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Can't remember the exact game. It was the road and the line thought he had signalled the snap and Sam said he didn't. I think Winters was the one, checking on the signal.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

He's also 29, pushing 30 years old and came into the league back in 2013. Not old quite yet, but he's on the verge of exiting his prime/golden years and once CB's break down they break down over night. No thanks to begin with.

Br4d likes this.
  20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

He's a taller Ted Ginn. Ginn signed a 3 yr / $11mm contract. No way is Robby worth $13mm or so per year.