The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

For which he got half-paid by a half-team.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

did I miss the numbers on the McGovern deal?

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He got crushed in the election pretty badly

jonnyd likes this.
  4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

3 year $27 million, $18 gtd

jonnyd likes this.
  5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

we'll see how it plays out. IIRC COnklin's best year was when he first came in. Has he grown as a player? Is he consistent? Will he continue to get better during this contract or go sideways?

the key to success is a player has to outperform his contract. Will he do that?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I felt like he was a good player. A better run blocker than pass blocker but an absolute tank of a run blocker.

I think we (including me) on this board must've overrated him as a player though. The Titans didn't pickup his fifth year option before the season. And he signed an offer lower with less years than we all thought he'd get.

For a 25 year old tackle he got an awfully friendly deal. I don't think that's much of a mistake. He might be trying to move over to the left side in Cleveland so he can REALLY cash in on contract #3.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right. The Jets suck. If I were you, I'd find another team to root for.

SOJAZ and MaximusD163 like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I agree with this all except the last line. IMO there's nothing risky about taking either Jeudy or Lamb at #11, and either would help make Sam and the Jets' offense a LOT better and more dangerous.

almbleamal likes this.
  9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Not only do I think they're crazy I think what they're doing when they're doing it is disgusting.

For me what is happening in the real world finally hit home today as I was informed not to come to work for the next couple of weeks. That's the best case scenario luckily I have vacation days to use up so I'll get paid but many others weren't as fortunate.

Again two weeks is the best case scenario who knows?

Businesses are closing, people are going unemployed, people are DYING because of this thing oh well at least 0.5 sack Leo got his franchise tag, not even top 10 qb Prescott got his exclusive franchise tag, Tannehill got his $29 million per year.

Exactly who are these bat____ crazy billionaires bidding against? I've never seen so many mediocre at best players break the bank like this as if they're superstars. Who advised them that this is the right time to do this?

I've seen Diggs play he's not a very impressive physical speciman. Smallish, not freakishly fast.

Robby Anderson is a freakishly fast player AND he's 6'3.

Robby spoke about playing with Brady if that happens Robby will be the best deep threat Brady has played with since Moss in 2007.

10. chandler

i don't see the move happening. From what I understand his strength is run blocking not pass protection. I want my LT's strength to be pass protecting (assuming QB is right handed but you know what I mean)

The Titans situation is weird. Why didn't they extend him? COuld be because he was injured at the time. But then he played reasonably well last year and I've seen press clips where he said he would be happy to remain with them. Keep in mind Tennessee has ultimate insider knowledge about him, how he plays, practices, locker room etc. So even if they blew it by not extending last year why didn't they sign him up now?

Anyway, time will tell. I'm not crying over that guy

11. NCJetsfan

How can Ruggs help cover Allen's inaccuracy? He's short and has short arms. I don't agree with that at all. The Bills need a tall WR with a big catch radius to help cover Allen's inaccuracy.

12. NCJetsfan

McGovern is a good signing. If they don't get a C in the draft, he can stay at C. If they do, he can slide to OG. If the plan is to keep Winters, however, I would think that the plan is for McGovern to play C, and the two OGs will be Lewis and Winters.

J-Raw24 and LAJet like this.
  13. chandler

from what i've seen they look like great players, but i've seen that before too. Sammy Watkins comes to mind. DId he ever play up to his draft status?
    plenty of examples. Reasonable minds can differ

And to be clear if JD likes a WR at 11 I will fully support that pick and any others. I am excited that it seems like we have grown up in the FO

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wasn’t that the premise with Bell last year? We can’t trade anymore draft picks away IMO, we need to give JD every chance to a successful draft.

15. J-Raw24

Because Allen is good and throwing the ball 30-50 yards down field. Ruggs is good at getting 30-50 yards down field and tracking the balls. I don't think anything can help how bad Allen is at short-intermediate passes.

chandler likes this.
  16. chandler

i'm kind of in this camp. Best situation for Bills is a bunch of fast wide receivers who can run under big throws. they will stretch the field. and Allen and the RBs can take advantage of that. Think of Allen as a version of Cam Newton and not Drew Brees

J-Raw24 likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Buffalo should pursue Anderson then

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

No prospect is guaranteed ,especially WR.
    I'm not a fan of Allen,but he did make major strides last year. Especially in his accuracy. His deep ball accuracy still needs work the 40 yard plus passes are a mess.

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Overall I'm happy with the Jets relative inactivity so far in this free agency.

They got burned big time in 2019 I can't blame 'em for being much more cautious this time around.

I'm still hoping they can bring back Robby but at this point I'm preparing myself for the worst while hoping for the best.

Clowney at a bargain price would be nice but I'm not losing any sleep about him coming or not coming here.

I am disappointed that Douglas didn't cross all his Ts and dot all his Is as the saying goes in the Leo trade. Brilliant trade overall but that the Giants were able to bring him back while avoiding having to give the Jets the higher pick is a glaring oversight.

For now I'll chalk it up to learning on the job, a rookie mistake. Still bitterly disappointing nonetheless.

20. J-Raw24

58.8 comp %. Up from 52.8. Most of which were either short dump passes or long passes. His incompletions spike on the intermediate passes badly. His "strides" went from total garbage to slightly less garbage.