The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wonder if there's any consideration to kicking Fant inside? He's not the most nimble offensive lineman but he's powerful for sure. The signing is fine. He's an NFL starter. That's what we need.

PFF ratings isn't the encyclopedia for player production.

TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My feeling exactly. Nor is Goff, who has steadily gone down inversely proportional to all the talent that was added to the Rams.
    i see Buffalo and Miami as overpaying and mortgaging the future of the team, meantime NE without all the BS high profiles moves will plug an play a Brady replacement and make life miserable for all of us. We need to take care of business from the ground up through the draft and steer away from the glamour moves. OL is our Achilles heal.
    Cleveland and Dallas and Miami are traditionally heavy on all the high visibility moves that don't really amount to a winning season. Buffalo is not too far behind and will be in shit trouble when they wake up and figure out Allen might not be the answer after all.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

My sentiments going into FA.

The Jets need to be acquiring mid-tier and depth players.

We cannot be the team setting record markets for players.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

I think that's the issue. The Bills had been building it the right way without all the big flashy moves. And they just went and made the flashy moves and mortgaged their draft this year for a receiver that could very easily crash the culture there. We'll see what happens with them and the Diggs situation.

Diggs was a malcontent with the Vikings last year with a MUCH more accurate quarterback slinging him the ball. We'll see how happy he is when he finishes with 62 catches for 840 yards and 3 touchdowns while Allen runs for 800.

5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

100%...what are we going to do with Stefon Diggs? He and Sam will still have a split second to throw and catch before Sam is pummeled.

Big area we can reach in FA if possible is Edge Rusher and Quality CB. Overall, just need depth,

6. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

But Buffalo will know what they have when it comes time to make a decision on whether to pay him or not.

Are we putting ourselves in the position of not being able to properly evaluate Sam because we didn't have enough talent around him?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Agreed. That would lead to an offensively charged draft and the Jets have needed one of those for a long long time.....stock up on OL and WR.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Of course. After two years we're already in that position. That's why this years draft is critical. It's also crucial that he stays healthy so we can get a good look at him. He's flashed but he hasn't been consistently good yet. He still has tons of talent though and is very young.

If we had to make a decision right this second it'd be tough to justify giving him $28-$30 million.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Need Chris Harris to sign ASAP so the marker for slot corners is set. Poole is better than Harris, but Harris will set the market. He's an essential piece that we need to bring back especially considering we already needed two corners to begin with. I'm assuming that Robby is learning the hard way that he's nowhere near as good a WR as he thinks. He probably wants Cooper money but is closer to Cobb. I think the Cobb signing helped us out.

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He played college basketball, was a TE in college, transitioned over to OL. I think he is nimble and highly athletic. Those are some of the plus attributes I'm reading on him, watching some of his film that several people have posted, he has really good feet and is extremely agile, with good base and power. I wish I could see more on him than I have at my disposal, but he certainly looks more athletic than powerful to me. My opinion of course.

Pepsiguy5, chandler, SOJAZ and 5 others like this.
  11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I disagree. Robby way better than Cobb at this point, and somehow the Houston O'Briens gave him 9 million a year after trading away their best player.

I would be shocked if we get him back for under 10.

12. BroadwayAaron

Cobb had more receptions and more yards in 1 less game and way less "starts". He's the more useful NFL receiver if he can stay healthy, not even a doubt in my mind. But I get it, Robby makes the sexy plays so people are going to value him more. I don't think we can get him for 10 or under. I think it will be 12 if he's back with us. Any more than that and Douglas will very smartly pass.

13. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Dallas was the #2 passing offense last year. We were 29th.

They passed for roughly 1600 more yards than we did.

Comparing their receptions and yards is not an apples to apples comparison.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Is he though? Cobb has way better hands, is a much better route runner, and produces a better return from a statistical stand point as well..

How is Robby "WAY" better?

15. BroadwayAaron

That was just using stats. I mean it's inarguable to me that Cobb is a better route runner, has a more expansive route tree and has better hands.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Belichick going QB shopping, looking for that sweet 10-6 AFC East title while everyone else crashes and burns.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

True enough. Maybe I'm thinking of Ifedi and am a bit skewed by seeing Fant and Ifedi get beaten like a drum by Bosa. But so do most tackles.

Fant is a fine player. Offensive lineman don't need to be superstars. Some good offensive lines have zero all pros. They need to work together and be quality players. We got one on a good contract.

NCJetsfan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you really have watched this guy play JV?

19. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I guess you don't watch Packers games.
    He used to be really good. He's washed up now.

20. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

do we have a chance at jadaveon clowney?