The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The 2021 draft is supposed to have a few blue chip TE prospects. Pat Freiermuth, Kyle Pitts, and Brevin Jordan are better than any TE in this year's draft. Heck, Freiermauth is called Baby Gronk. Even if Herndon rebounds this year, I want one of those guys to give us our own Gronk and Hernandez. Without the off field baggage, of course.

Br4d likes this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

He will be 29 when the season starts. The Jets are not in a position to fork over that kind of money to an almost 30 yr old...

101GangGreen101 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Idzik didn’t chase marquee players and we werent better for it. Not saying Douglas is him but I’ve seen what “do nothing” strategy looks like as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Or maybe you don't understand how to build a team that actually wins?

It's at least a 50/50 probability this is the case. No intent to offend here, it's just that buying big name free agents, well that's a Jets thing. Now, who bought the big free agents today? The Browns, The Broncos, The Lions, The Fins, etc, etc, etc (to quote the King of Siam).

The way to look at today is the Jets carefully stepped off of the shortbus and let it roll on down the road with the usual collection of special teams aboard.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Can’t wait to whiff on him.

7. CotcheryFan

Idzik's problem wasn't his FA strategy. It was his ability(or lack thereof) to spot talent in the draft.

8. Br4d

We chased Idzik out of town after two years because he wouldn't give the adrenaline-junkies their thrill in free agency. The draft blew chunks as well but the collective tantrum by Jets fans because they couldn't get their fix in free agency was a big part of the deal.

Then in comes Macc and he spends Idzik's surplus acquiring 'great' players in free agency and two years later we were back in the gambler's ruin again.

chandler and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Just happy to see Van Noy out of New England. Guy was a Jets killer. Not worried about still playing him twice a year, they always bust in Miami hahah

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

All I can say after today is I wish the NFL would have postponed FA. Thuney getting tagged, Castonzo resigning with the Colts, conklin to the Browns and Glasgow to the Broncos leaves us without any obvious upgrades to our OL.

If I have learned anything from watching Mac try to sign big name OL it is that you cannot penny pinch. You have to be willing to overpay. Generally, I don't think overpaying in FA is a smart move but in our situation we desperately need an OL before Gase gets Darnold killed stubbornly playing 5 wide when it does not work with a poor OL.

We struck out. Now we need to hope one of the 4 tackles are there at 11, draft a center and likely a guard with our first four picks. Then hope that Gase will have learned something from last year.

I really like Sam but without an OL and with Gase calling the plays I can see him being haunted by a lot more ghosts next year.

11. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Exactly. We just have to hope Douglas is a quality drafter.

12. Br4d

So, part of the Idzik problem was that every organization that he was with prior to the Jets had good talent evaluation teams and an understanding that the consensus was where you drafted from.

The Jets had a lousy talent evaluation team and infighting throughout the organization over who had the best bad ideas.

Idzik probably would have been a very good GM in a culture that valued the team over the individual. He didn't get the opportunity to build that culture because the old culture was so dominant, so bad and so headed for the edge of the cliff when he signed on.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yeah obviously cause all those years winning the first day of FA has really worked for the Jets in the past. Sure wish we were like those proven winners who are winning day one like the Browns & Dolphins and Lions.

14. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Yeah it's really too bad he's the GM of a really good team now.

Jets69 likes this.
  15. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

Idzik iirc had either zero or very little player personnel experience prior to the Jets. He was the bottom of the barrel. Nobody wanted to come here. Before taking this job wasn't he strictly a capologist type?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Br4d

You can't penny-pinch? Where does that come from? Where have the Jets benefited from over-paying?

Seriously, I read your post and thought 'Jesus this is what watching the Jets for the last two decades does to somebody.'

We spent like drunken sailors from 2007 to 2011 - got two good years out of that run and then collapsed prostrate and have not risen since. WTF would you want to start that progression again?

Just get two vet OL in free agency for our young QB and draft a couple and then watch the team collapse again either due to age or cap problems in the OL after we sign that young QB to the deal he will command in 2022? I mean seriously?

This is what you would like us to do? Because it has worked so well in the past?

17. Br4d

2 years as Jets GM will kill anybody's ability to get another GM job. Joe Douglas best move so far was getting a 6 year deal that the Jets can't get out of without paying through the nose.

18. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

There is a middle ground.

Signing Conklin or Glasgow would have been a huge improvement to our OL.

The list of whos left is incredibly underwhelming.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Noam likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

Pretty sure Idzik's expertise was managing the cap, not evaluating players. Remember Woody only Tanny, but not Rex after the 2012 season despite both being tied at the hip. A few GM candidates refused to interview with the Jets. I bet that having to keep Rex turned them away. A search firm recommended Idzik, who no other team was after AFAIK.

20. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

Bart Scott was a good signing. Pace was a good signing. Kevin Mawae was a good one. Damien Woody was a good one, Fanecas was a good one. You can do well in free agency...and you can bomb out too. But it's mot like all the signings have been putrid.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.