The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Douglas HAS to hit on those picks then. I’m talking 4-5 starters this and next draft if he’s going to completely pass on anyone good in free agency. I’m just completely skeptical at this point because I know how this stuff usually goes for us.

FJF likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Using logic and other reports I've read on Twitter from actual reporters. They were one of the teams who were interested in taking Lamb or Jeudy. They drafted 3 WRs last year, resigned Fitz, and just traded a 2nd for Hopkins. Why would they go after a WR at 8 when they have a glaring need at OL? Wirfs is a perfect fit for them. He is terrific in space and is great in the screen game. It's a perfect fit.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We are having a laughably bad day. Yikes Joe D... yikes.

fdcnyc likes this.
  4. dawinner127

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets could completely sit out free agency and it would be a success compared to the previous regime's approach.

Tier-2 guys that flesh out the roster is the way to go in Joe Douglas' first season managing the roster.

6. BroadwayAaron

So two guys we were after ended up going to the division rival Dolphins to play for the guy they replaced Gase with. You’re out of your mind if you don’t think Gase being here is hurting us.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

What a surprise. They whiff on Van Noy

8. Br4d

When average RT's are worth $14M a year it's a good deal. Conklin only looks really good compared to the trash the Jets usually run out at RT these days. You go find players of his stature in the draft or tier-2 FA not as primetime pickups.

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  9. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

starting to believe that

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Don't lose sight of the overall goal: building a sustainably good, playoff-caliber roster. That means the players needs to be compatible along with the CS and offensive/defensive schemes. I'm as impatient as anyone, but chasing after "marquee players" isn't the way to achieve this. If Douglas has a "blueprint" and he executes it, I'll be happy.

11. dawinner127

These beat reporters have no fucking idea what they are talking about. How are the Jets linked to 30 guys and don't get any? They whiffed on about 5 or 6 guys they've been linked too.

FJF likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hey, I understand your skepticism. If you've been a Jets fan longer than a minute, then you've been disappointed and frustrated before. I think this is a new day. I don't recall our ever having hired such a highly-regarded GM candidate before and one who worked under a sure-fire HOF GM. He worked for Newsome for 15 years and with the Eagles. He learned a lot and is a disciple of Newsome. Rome wasn't built in a day. We're going to have to be patient. I knew this wasn't going to be a quick fix. Expecting him to get 4-5 starters out of this draft just isn't realistic.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  13. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I just didn't think they would take a receiver anyway. They've put quite a bit of stock into it.

14. BroadwayAaron

Blaming the beat guys is the wrong play. No one trusts the system we have, and rightfully so. Unless you’re getting massively overpaid there’s no reason to come play for Gase.

15. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I'll keep the faith for now but if we wind up trading up in the 1st to get one of the tackles I'll start to lose it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I didnt know he was getting that big of a bag, would've passed.

17. Br4d

Part of the social engineering in the team/fan link is that teams draw in older fans based on how they operate. A significant part of the Jet's current fan base are go-for-broke types addicted to the rush of a big free agent signing and the promise that it creates and unable to handle the premise of waiting for a build to work. That this approach is a sure failure doesn't register with that group any more than what pushing all your chips into the middle does for an amateur gambler. The gambler's ruin is where the Jets are right now and free agency is the chance to buy more chips at no cost for the people rooting for huge free agent signings.

18. NCJetsfan

Van Noy is good, but not worth that kind of money. Good move, Joe letting him sign with the Dolphins.

19. Br4d

2020 is a 16 game schedule. The new playoff format will be live but 17 games is sometime between 2021 and 2024. Not clear when they will cycle to that but 2021 is my guess.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I think that's partially true. I also think that Douglas probably put a lot of rumors out there so other teams wouldn't know what we were doing and who we were really after. I'm also sure that Douglas was interested in some of those players, but only if he could get them at what he wanted to pay. He wasn't going to give them a ridiculously big contract to get them.