The 2012 Yankees -- General Discussion

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Cappy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]qBu5zdbInjA[/YOUTUBE]

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This team needs a fresh makeover and some youth...obviousness

3. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't overreact, if I were Cashman.

"Getting younger" is a good thing, but it has more to do with not signing long-term deals for players on the wrong side of 30. I don't mind when they take a one-year flyer on older guys like Chavez, Ibanez, Pettitte, Ichiro or Kuroda. The Yankees were the oldest team in baseball, but that had a lot to do with the age of their bench players or guys on one-year deals. As for the aging starters, right now, the issues isn't that A-Rod is too old. The issue is that he's old enough that he's far more likely to decline than improve, and he is on the roster for several more years. As is Teixeira. As is CC.

Watching CC's fastball come in at 91mph yesterday was not heartening for what we'll likely be seeing in 2016. But we knew that going into the contract. The Yankees can afford to overpay for production on the front end, knowing they'll have to eat some on the back end.

The A-Rod contract is clearly the worst of the bunch, though. Good lord, I'm so glad Hank was told to keep his hands off baseball ops after that monstrosity.

Looking forward, the Yanks have a fair amount of (relative) youth already with the big league club. Cano, Martin, Granderson, Gardner, Martin, Hughes, Pineda, Nunez, Nova, Robertson, Phelps, etc. Granderson is the oldest of that bunch at 31.

If I were the Yankees, I'd let Swisher, Chavez, Jones, Garcia, Soriano (if he opts out), and (maybe) Ibanez walk.

I'd consider bringing Ichiro back if it was short term and relatively cheap.

4. jetfan1987

jetfan1987 Banned

You make it sound as if the Knicks and Jets are such terrible teams.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Before the last two years, the Knicks went on a miserable 7 year stretch where Isiah was handed keys to everything. WE have an incimpentant owener if all things are true.

The Jets have been better recently, but it's rooting for mediocrity. The best years weren't years they won the Super Bowl, or even made the Super Bowl, they were when they almost made the Super Bowl twice.

Sticking with teams that don't consistently win like the Yankees is different than sticking with the Yankees. THat's why Yankees fan overreact to getting swept in the ALCS while Jets fans celebrate losing in the AFC championship game.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Can only hope he means it.

I wouldn't mind a bit if they blow the whole thing up and start over. Get rid of Jeter, Arod, Rivera, Texiera, Sabathia, Swisher for starters. Hire a real GM and Manager.
    Of course that's not possible but it would be nice if they could.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...inbrenner-sweep-by-tigers-a-bitter-end-101912

"NEW YORK (AP)
    Calling Detroit's four-game sweep in the AL championship series ''a bitter end to our year,'' New York Yankees boss Hal Steinbrenner says the team will take necessary steps toward a World Series title in 2013.

''We may have fallen short yesterday, but we never feel sorry for ourselves and never make excuses,'' the team's managing general partner said in a statement Friday.

''Great teams - and organizations - use disappointment as a motivation for future improvements and success,'' he said. ''In the days, weeks and months ahead, we plan to do what's necessary to return this franchise to the World Series.''"

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Can only hope he doesn't mean throwing 10 year deals at 30 year old players. So sick of that.

Don, you want Jeter gone? That guy is the consummate professional. He turned it around this year.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It is because the Yankess season is all about the playoffs. The Jets won 13 games in 2010. The Yankess won 3 this season.

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Cakes, remind me again about the whole "Yankess" thing? What's the backstory there? Someone in the third grade who couldn't spell said something mean about the Mets?

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

A Yankess employer spelled the team wrong and to me it is all right. It has nothing to do with the Mets.

12. Dierking

Employer or employee?

13. Dierking

Give that kid a month with Kevin Long and he won't hit anybody.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I wonder if the teams that would be interested in Arod think they could get him back on the roids and keep him from being tested. why else would you want him?

I never understood the Yankees enamor with Arod for the amount of money they paid him, he never had that value to the team with its ability to sign anybody they wanted.

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

:lol:

because he'd be an upgrade for most teams at third. As long as you don't have to pay over $5 million a year, it's not a bad idea.

The Yankees want nothing to do with him anymore, but I'm sure at least five teams would want him. How many 3Bs can give you 20-25 homers and a .350 OBP?

Of course, he'd have to waive his no trade clause.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Darn phone.

17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I can't see im wanting to be a Yankee anymore. He has to know he is disliked by just about everyone.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

yes he knows but there have been rumors he doesn't want to waive it. Guess we'll see.

19. Dierking

You take One-A-Day, Plus Irony, Cakes?

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Why is Sabathia, Rivera, and Jeter on that list? And who would take them? And who we replace them with. This seems like a very shortsighted plan with no answers

3 in a series. That's my point.

Which also makes me wonder, is MLB the only celebrates winning each round in the playoffs with champagne? Kind of strange.

Yeah, rumors have been he wants to stay in NY because he has a lot to prove