TGG; A bit too early but what's your dream off-season looking like as of right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I know this is insane but being a Jets fan will do that to you:

The Jets must never ever ever ever, ever-ever, never-ever?, never ever, ever draft a TE in the first round. Or second round. Never.

No more Johnny Mitchells, Kyle "Not Warren Sapp?" Bradys, Anthony Bechts, or Dustin Kellers.

Could we use a solid TE? Sure. Are the guys you and NC talking about probably going to be great in the NFL? Sure. But not if we draft them.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well Trevor Lawrence would absolutely love Kyle Pitts.

And Kyle Pitts is becoming the greatest Gators TE of All Time and even more productive Aaron Hermandez was for them.

Johnny Mitchell played for Nebraska.
    Kyle Brady played for Penn State.
    Anthony Becht played for WV.
    Dustin Keller played for PURDUE!

WTF do any of those jags have to do with KYLE PITTS who is absolutely DOMINATING THE SEC?!??!? Absolutely NOTHINGNESS!

Aaron Hernandez was a murderer off the field but was greatness on it and Kyle Pitts is on the verge of shattering every Gators TE record all time that's ever been set.

If we draft Trevor Lawrence?!? And Kyle Pitts is on the board with our Seattle pick? He's a NO BRAINIER because he's an absolute monster within the SEC.

#62 DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  3. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Just having a little fun with you, DWC. I agree on balance that we need to draft Lawrence and surround him with weapons including at TE.

To be fair though, I'm not sure how long you've been following the team but the Jets really do have weirdly and historically bad luck with TEs. Regardless of ownership, the front office, the coach. Well the coach played a role in Brady being picked instead of Sapp.

We were almost on to something with Johnny Mitchell, though- he was an athletic TE kind of ahead of his time. Although I guess the Giants had Bavaro, and that was a decade earlier.

Anyway. It's the Jets. Don't think rationally. Do that for too long and you'll go insane. Look at poor Champ :mad::mad::mad: !!!

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

1) Fire Gase and let JD hire his guy as HC.
    2) Sign 1 of Godwin, Golladay, ARob, or Juju (that order is my preference FYI) and sign 1 other OL piece (Scherff/Thuney).
    3) Pick Lawrence with #1.
    4) Trade Sam for a mid-late 1st (Pitt/SF/Indy/etc.).
    5) Pick Waddle, Smith, Moore, or Bateman with the Sam pick.
    6) Pick one of Etienne, Harris, Freiermuth, Smith, Meyers with the Seattle pick.
    7) Pick any of the guys previously mentioned with 1st pick in the 2nd.
    8) Pick best available WR/IOL/RB with both 3rd round picks and the 4th. Any combo of Amon-Ra St. Brown, Chris Olave, Sage Surratt, Tylan Wallace, Seth Williams, Justyn Ross, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Zion Johnon, Deonte Brown, Kenneth Gainwell, and Journey Brown is just fine by me.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We will get Mosley back assuming we dont trade him...That will be a huge plus.But we still need that player that other teams have to gameplan for that can disrupt the game on the Dline either a linebacker or edgerusher.I really wish we kept Jamal and Robby and just added to the team.Its gonna be a massive task to reload this roster...

LAJet likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

1st overall: Trevor Lawrence. QB. Clemson.

1st Rd (Seattle): Kyle Pitts. TE. Florida.

First pick of the 2nd Round: Najee Harris. RB. Alabama.

From there? I would seriously trade both of our 3rd round picks in order to immediately trade up back into the 2nd round and draft Trevor Lawrence more protection.

2nd Round (for our two 3rd's) Jalen Mayfield. OT. Michigan (Trevor is now protected by Becton/Mayfield @ both Tackle position(s).

QB: Trevor Lawrence.
    TE: Kyle Pitts.
    RB: Najee Harris.
    OT: Jalen Mayfield.

To leave the 2nd round? With 4 impact and immediate day 1 NFL offensive starters? I'd finally celebrate the offensive side of the ball as a Jets fan with the likes of Becton, Crowder and Mims already in place.

We'd still have one 4th, two 5th's, one 6th and one 7th in order to try and find sleeper picks.

And if we're able to trade away Sam Darnold for an early 2nd to a QB desperate team? I'd use that pick for Sam on a Center/LG/TE (imagine leaving the draft with both Pitts and Freiermuth).

TE: Kyle Pitts.
    OT: Jalen Mayfield.
    TE: Pat Freiermuth.

WR1: Allen Robinson.
    WR2: Denzel Mims.
    Slot: Jamison Crowder.
    TE1: Kyle Pitts.
    TE2: Pat Freiemuth.
    LT: Mekhi Becton.
    RT: Jalen Mayfield.

We'd still need to shore up our interior offensive line but omg not only would Trevor Lawrence have play making weapons everywhere on offense (RB/WR/TEx2) but he'd also have OT protection X2.

So when I say I dream of an offensive 2021 off-season? This is what I dream of.

Maybe I went a little extreme with 2 TE's but I remember Gronk/Hernabdez were physically and mentally unstoppable for DC's to defend with Tom Brady spreading the football.

7. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

Move to Mars? Hey, it's a dream.. hahaha

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Look at my user name.

I absolutely loved players like Mo Lewis. Marvin Jones. Aaron Glenn. John Abraham. Shaun Ellis. David Harris. Darrelle Revis. Jamal Adams etc. Real difference makers and real impactful players.

Marcus Maye? Lol he can easily be replaced by 4th round FS's and this crap defense wouldn't miss a beat.

Marcus Maye? Sorry. Not sorry. But I'm not absolutely in love with him at all and never wanted him a Jet to begin with because Dalvin Cook should be the one helping poor Sam Darnold in green and white right now... Not MARCUS MAYE!

If Maye was an impact player? Our Defense wouldn't have fallen off a cliff after trading away #33 and Maye would have stepped up to the plate and became a Pro Bowl and All Pro impact Safety here in 2020 but unfortunately, he's done none of the above...

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right, my bad. I had forgotten that the OP asked for a dream scenario.

10. NCJetsfan

It's a new day. We have a GM who knows talent. Hopefully, he is able to hire a quality HC who will know how to utilize and develop that talent. If so, I would have no qualms with taking a TE with Seattle's pick.

11. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't hate a Pitts pick, but he is basically only a WR. He isn't much of a blocker. Freiermuth can catch and block and he's a matchup nightmare for opposing DBs.

12. NCJetsfan

Yes, but the point is if Lawrence is a generational QB, then he will be on the same level as Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, and Peyton Manning, so his impact will be much greater than 3-4 1st round draft picks.

Minnesota trading all those picks and players for Walker was crazy, as was Mike Ditka's trading his entire draft for some player.

Injuries happen. Brady missed a year. Manning missed time. I'd still take that generational QB. The thing is, with all those high draft picks, there's no way in hell you'd be able to pay them all when their rookie contracts were up, and you might not even be able to pay them all their 4th or 5th year without cutting other players. This isn't Madden. They would have your team so good that you'd never have a chance to draft a topnotch QB prospect without making an equally big trade to move up in the draft. Then when all their contracts come due, you're going to wind up losing a number of them, have no decent replacements, or draft picks with which to replace them, and you have no QB, and you're looking at dropping back to mediocre or worse. Very good teams can win one SB with a so-so QB if everything breaks right for them one year, but sooner rather than later, those teams break up. When you have a great QB, you can change other parts and know that you're still going to be very competitive, and have a chance to win multiple SBs.

Adding the final piece is NOT how rebuilding is done right. I totally disagree, and Mahomes wasn't the final piece. If you're going to claim an approach is the only right way to do something, then you need to have your facts right. You don't.

#72 NCJetsfan, Oct 29, 2020
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Don't get me wrong NC, I'd love Pat too but I couldn't take him over Pitts.

Kyle Pitts: 6'6/240lbs.
    19 games:
    74 receptions.
    996 receiving yards.
    13 TDs.

Patt Freiermuth: 6'5/258lbs.
    26 games.
    76 receptions.
    935 receiving yards.
    16 TDs.

Both are great prospects but I couldn't imagine the numbers Kyle Pitts would put up while playing within the Big 10 Conference instead of the SEC (best defensive conference in Football).

It takes a lot for me as an FSU fan to love a Gator offensive prospect but omg Kyle Pitts is dangerous. I wouldn't be able to pass on this kid if he's available with our Seattle pick. I just wouldn't be able to. I believe Trevor Lawrence would make an NFL star out of this kid especially if surrounded by WR/RB talent he'd become unstoppable over the middle of the field.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

You're 100% right NC.

Trevor is the type of prospect that you trade up for as a Franchise. Not the type you trade away for "more picks" and run away from.

Sam Darnold we ended up trading up for and it took our 1st + 3 additional 2nd rounders.

That wouldn't be the case with Trevor Lawrence. We wouldn't have to trade any picks away for him; we'd only need to simply draft him #1 overall.

If Sam Darnold wasn't in his 3rd year and currently ranked 32nd and lead last amongst all NFL starting QB's? Maybe the topic of discussion would be different and we could entertain the idea of building around him with a 1st pick haul but unfortunately this isn't the case.

Darnold wasn't winning 40+ games without a loss in HS (he was actually a converted LB to QB in HS) and Darnold wasn't 35-1 in college @ USC with 2-3 NCAA Championship Game experiences under his belt. Darnold as a QB prospect isn't even within the same stratosphere as TL in terms of QB prospect coming out. Not. Even. Close.

Trevor Lawrence's parents had their son a professional QB coach in MIDDLE SCHOOL. Crazy.

The Jets haven't won a SB dating back to 1968-1969 season. We haven't featured a generational Franchise QB since Joe Namath; my grandfather would literally roll over in his grave if we EVER traded out of the #1 pick for "more picks" while literally running away from Trevor Lawrence (like a bunch of football COWARDS).

We traded out of the #1 pick before. And passed on Orlando Pace. Sorry. But Pace wasn't a QB who led his teams to 2-3 National Championship Games. Trading away Trevor for more picks and sticking with the 32nd rated QB in Sam Darnold (yet another USC bust) would become disgusting.

Dabo molded and developed D. Watson as he's currently molding and developing T. Lawrence for the NFL. He's a can't miss NFL prospect.

#74 DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 29, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

Don't be so quick to write off an NFL GM such as JD going all offense (at least with our first 5 picks throughout the first 3 rounds at least) .

Carolina Panthers 2020 draft. They just used each and every draft pick on their Defensive side of the ball. And rightfully so too.

1st Rd: Derrick Brown. DT. Auburn.
    2nd Rd: Yetur Gross-Matos. DE. PSU.
    2nd Rd: Jeremy Chinn. Safety. Southern Ill.
    4th Rd: Troy Pride. CB. Norte Dame.
    5th Rd: Kenny Robinson. Safety. WV.
    6th Rd: Bravvion Roy. DT. Baylor.
    7th Rd: Stanley Thomas-Oliver. CB. FIU

Carolina's GM just used all 7 of his picks on defense and why would he do such a thing? Because in 2019 last year his Defense ranked 23rd in yards allowed and 31st in points allowed.

And here in 2020 there's already been a strong improvement on Carolinas D now ranked 13th in yards allowed per game and 13th in points allowed per game and trending upwards into a soon to be too 10 NFL Defense (instead of 2019's laughing stock).

So with our first 5 picks throughout the first 3 rounds?

1st = Trevor. QB.
    1st = Pitts. TE.
    2nd= Najee. RB.
    3rd = WR.
    3rd = O-Lineman.

You're damn right JD would have EVERY RIGHT to do what the Panthers did for their defense but on OFFENSE for Trevor Lawrence.

That wouldn't be considered as "insanely dumb" but rather an offensive stroke of genius and ABOUT DAMN TIME!

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

1) Secure #1 pick.
    2) Draft Lawrence or Fields.
    3) Hire a proven HC like Jim Harbaugh or offer tons of money to Steelers owners for Mike Tomlin or Ravens owner for John Harbaugh.
    4) Sign an elite WR and draft a WR in the first 2 rounds.
    5) Draft Interior OL within first two rounds.
    6) Sign the best pass rusher available.
    7) Sign a shut down corner.

17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

18. NCJetsfan

My preliminary ideal offseason would begin with seeing Adam Gase kicked to the curb within an hour after the season ends. It would follow with JD being put in charge of the football operation and the Johnsons stepping back and only rubber stamping JD's moves. It would continue with seeing JD hiring one of (in no particular order) Arthur Smith, Brian Daboll, Eric Bieniemy, Greg Roman, Wink Martindale, Joe Brady, Matt Campbell, and Todd Monken as our new HC. It would continue in FA with JD signing a quality starting-caliber WR such as Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Will Fuller, Josh Reynolds, or Kenny Golladay, a quality starting caliber OG who is hopefully in the 26-28 age range, and a quality CB (maybe Mike Hilton, Ronald Darby, or Troy Hill).

In the draft, it would be something like the following:

1a. Trevor Lawrence, QB
    1b. WR, TE or RB
    2. WR, TE, or RB
    3a. WR, TE or RB
    3b. OT, C, or OG
    4. OT, C or OG
    5a. OT, C,or OG
    5b. ILB
    6a. CB, FS, or SS
    6b. CB, FS, or SS
    6c.CB, FS, or SS

I'd love to see the Jets add one of Pat Freiermuth, Kyle Pitts, or Brevin Howard at TE. I'd love to see the Jets add one of Travis Etienne, Najee Harris, or Chuba Hubbard at RB. At WR, I'd love to see the Jets add two of JaMarr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Terrace Marshall, Chris Olave, Rondale Moore, Rashod Bateman, Seth Williams, and Nico Collins.

The bottom line is that I want to see the IOL fixed and Lawrence surrounded with weapons/HR threats on offense. I want to see him set up for success like Mahomes is in KC with a dynamic WR corps, TE and RB. I had hoped that Herndon could be the TE, but that's not looking possible at the moment.

While it isn't realistic, I also would love it if the whole draft or at least the first 4 1/2 rounds were all spent on offense. If JD wants to try to improve pass coverage and the secondary and STs by loading up on ILB, CB, and S in the last 3 1/2 rounds, that would be fine with me. I would also like to see a dynamic PR/KR added in this draft, I don't care if he plays RB, WR, or CB.

#78 NCJetsfan, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Stanley just extended by the Ravens, so he’s no longer an option

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

Damn. Just today too. October 30th. Just because the highest paid offensive lineman within the league. five years, worth $112,866,000 (22M-23M per year).

He was a FA pipe dream for me but it's true, he was just too elite and too important for the likes of Lamar Jackson to be allowed to enter Free Agency (I believe JD would've thrown the kitchen sink @ him too).