TGG; A bit too early but what's your dream off-season looking like as of right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 28, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

More than likely, all the top WR prospects will be gone by Seattle's pick unless they lose some more games. One of the top 3 TE prospects could still be available, and would be just as good as taking a WR. Freiermuth of Penn St. has been compared with Gronkowski. He's a complete player and has great size and pretty good speed for his size. Pitts has a lot of potential, but I may agree with you about taking an OL over Pitts. That pick should definitely be used on an offensive player.

IDFjet likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I disagree. You don't pass on a generational QB prospect unless you have a proven FQB already. It doesn't matter how many 1st round picks you'd get in return. They wouldn't add up to a generational-type FQB.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I disagree.

4. NCJetsfan

Edge rusher should definitely be a consideration at that point if there are any that Douglas likes a lot, but I think the first 3 picks should all go to the offense. I understand where you're coming from, and it's a valid perspective, but think Etienne or Harris would help the team (and Lawrence) more than an Edge, and AFAIK at this point, after Harris, there's a big drop off in the quality/level of RBs in the draft. WR, RB, TE, OL, and Edge should all be in consideration at the first pick of the 2nd round. The only way I go a defensive player there however, is if an Edge or CB that is considered a true stud falls to that point and the Jets have him rated a level or two above any of the offensive players that are available at that point. Even then, they should seriously entertain any trade down offers, and quite possibly trade down a little and then take the best offensive player available. Douglas has to do all he can to ensure that Lawrence or Fields succeeds.

5. NCJetsfan

I don't think Moore or Smith will be available anywhere near our 2nd pick. Chuba Hubbard is a HR threat and a great runner, but the scouting reports I've read said that he is not a good receiver and fights the ball. No way I'm drafting a RB that high that isn't a good receiver, even if he is a HR threat, and I've wanted one at RB since before Curtis Martin.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

-FIRE Adam Gase
    -Hire a new Head Coach, we will say Eric Bieniemy and a new staff.
    -Sam Darnold returns as Starting QB
    -Re-Sign Marcus Maye
    -Sign a solid few key Free Agents. Maybe a Pass rusher, O-lineman, any spot on defense.
    -#5 overall, The Jets get Sam his true #1 WR in LSU's JaMarr Chase
    -Seattle's pick gets Sam his true #1 RB in Clemson's Travis Etienne
    -Start the 2nd Round with a CB maybe Samuel or Horn

The Jets can go from one of the worst teams to instant playoff contenders if Joe Douglas handles the off-season right and I think he will.

7. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but that's only 3 picks. We have to trade our #1 pick to get their two picks, so Seattle's pick plus their two picks is three picks, not four.

8. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree. This team isn't one offseason away from Super Bowl contention. So if you draft Lawrence, your number 1, 1A and 1B goal is to surround him with as much young offensive talent as possible to grow with him for the next 2-3 years and basically defense be damned. You can loosely look to incrementally improve the defense this offseason, but I'd worry about that later. You can't continue to make the same mistakes this organization has made over the past several regimes to have a young potential franchise QB with zero weapons. It's crazy thinking. Sink as many resources you have into develop[ing your number 1 asset and worry about the rest later. Use the first 4 picks on Lawrence and other offensive players and sign a top FA veteran WR to go with that group, along with an interior OL and lets go.

With 2 first rounders in 2022, you are armed to move up and draft a stud pass rusher or shut down corner and use the next offseason to work on the defense. But you would have already had a jump start going into year 2 with your franchise QB building rapport with his coach and new young weapons.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

IMO you need to forget about Sam. He's not a leader. He's too laid back. He turns the ball over too much. He locks onto receivers, doesn't throw the ball away, and has serious issues reading defenses. There's no way the Jets should try to build around him. That would be a colossal mistake imo.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No way! I'm not letting a pandemic, terrible roster, and terrible Head Coach cloud my view on Darnold. He still has a lot of potential. If the Jets win a couple games, like I think they will, then you have to look at other positions besides QB as I think they will be gone by the time the Jets pick at #5 overall. If Sam flops all the way to the end of the season and the Jets have the #1 pick, then yeah, go with Lawrence.

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Sam was a 1-yr wonder at USC. The NYJ always have hardons for these types--Jace Amaro immediately comes to mind--there's been others. 1-yr wonder or lack of college performance (Stephen Hill, Hackenburg) are somehow highly valued by NYJ. So are raw prospects like Ducasse who the NYJ can never develop.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'd add a wrinkle here. If we were able to make this trade with the number 2 pick it would still basically be the number 1 pick minus TL. Plus if you could get their 2nd and 3rd rounds picks we'd have the first two picks of those rounds. It would be stellar.

Either way no prospect is worth 4 number 1's. Any team turning their back on that isn't serious about rebuilding.

13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

That's very sensible, LA. But here's how I'm starting to see it: If we don't sell out to give at least one of our two dreadful units a chance at real success, then there's a good chance that what we've witnessed this year will keep happening. That is, the multiple shitty elements on each unit will drag down the performance of the competent pieces, wreaking psychological havoc on the whole damn operation.

You need the QB, the receivers and the OL at the same time. If one of these things sucks, there's a decent chance none of them produce, and pretty soon they're all miserable, ineffective wrecks. That's what we're seeing now. THAT'S why I'm committed to full investment on one side of the ball, preferably on offense, especially if we're about to score the serious blue-chip QB.

NCJetsfan and 88toon like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree with the bolded. No way 4 position players, two of which are taken towards the bottom of the 1st round are going to equal the importance of a great QB. Do you think the Chiefs would take 4 first round picks for Mahomes? Would the Pats have taken 4 first round picks for Brady? Would the Packers have taken 4 first round picks for Rodgers? No freaking way.

Jets79 and 88toon like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Your mentioning guys after they have already came into the league and had success - not when they were prospects.

The Chiefs weren't rebuilding, they were adding the final piece, which is how it is done when rebuilding is done right. However I do think they would have taken that trade. Any smart GM would.

The Patriots would have traded Brady for a single 1st as he was a late round pick.

The Packers, like the Chiefs, weren't rebuilding, and they still had Farve. Yep they would have still taken it.

Yes all 4 teams would have still traded for 4 #1 picks. But this guy is the best prospect since Luck - right. The Colts would have traded 4 #1s for Luck, who was a top QB, but also never even got to a Championship game, moreless a SB. And the Colts had nowhere near as many holes as the Jets do.

Even trades for proven top players have not panned out. Hershall Walker was the entire Cowboys offense and arguably the best player in the league. I think they did better parting with him for the picks don't you?

If we have the unheard of chance to have 8 first round picks and even some high second rounders in the next two drafts you don't pass that up for one player. This is how dynasties are built. TL is one play, one hit, away from losing all that.

#55 ouchy, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Ah shit, your right. Sorry about that....

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

No way NC.

Every year fans hype up TEs as the next Gronk because of massive size. But Pitts not only plays within the SEC but he's about to shatter Aaron Hernandez career numbers; he's the greatest Florida Gator TE of All Time imo and truly a CAN'T MISS. As an FSU fan, I can honestly say that I love this kid man.

If we draft Trevor Lawrence? Omg. I want this SEC TE so bad. Herndon has had an awful season but a TE duo of Pitts/Herndon could become special.

Kyle Pitts has Vernon Davis type talent I love him.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I agree that the primary emphasis will be offense both on the draft and free agency. But I’m sure that if the top pass rusher is there he will not ass him up, and may be even a CB. Having said that, I’m fully expect Lenny of new weapons on offense to add to Mims, our slot receivers plus much needed help at the offensive guard position.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm a fool who wanted Joe Thuney to a big contract @ LG. Thnx God it didn't happen because he's played like absolute dog crap for NE this year. It's true, Brady literally makes everyone around him so much better and even his O-Lineman have fell off a cliff since his departure.

Ronnie Stanley is truly the OT I'd want to see JD spend big time money on he's only 26 years of age as a former 1st round pick and now a 1st Team All-Pro. Move him over to RT where he could absolutely feast.

QB; Trevor Lawrence (#1 overall).
    LT: Mekhi Becton.
    RB: Najee Harris (1st pick of 2nd round).
    WR1: Allen Robinson (FA).
    Slot: Jamison Crowder.
    WR2: Denzel Mims.
    TE1: Kyle Pitts (Seattle/Jamal pick).
    TE2: Chris Herndon.
    RT: Ronnie Stanley (FA).

Splash on Free Agency with two offensive GAME CHANGERS in Allen Robinson @ WR and Ronnie Stanley @ OT and attack our first 3 picks on offense during the 1st two rounds on Trevor Lawrence (Clemson), Kyle Pitts (Florida) and and Najee Harris (Alabama) and I believe we'll have then have one of the NFL's most talented offenses full of nothing but young fire power moving forward.

Enough with spending our cap space and draft capital on Defense. Our offense has been neglected since Rex Ryan and the 2021 off-season must be about offense and nothing else.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Realistically I agree, but OP asked for a dream scenario. On the other hand, this is (and had been for some time) a sport that privileges offense. Maybe the draft should be entirely focused on the O, so you can build and develop a young core. Use a good chunk of the FA money to shore up the D. It's not like we have that may needs on D. Just the pass rusher we haven't had since John Abraham. A rotational DT. An OLB. An ILB. Two CBs. A S. Fuck. This stupidly managed stupid fucking team.

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.