Texans @ Jets: Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RevisIsland18, Dec 10, 2023.

1. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

thanks! added this to the opening post

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Pretty wild that Hackett put the game on Zach's shoulders after all the hub bub of the previous weeks.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it was the only thing we haven't tried on offense. we benched zach, we benched some other players under performing, released carter, but were still playing "not to lose"
    we expected the D to win us games and the O to get some FGs off good field positioning. stay in it late in the game then throw if you have to and hope to get bailed out. it never works. I've been saying for months to just let zach rip it and live or die by it. whats the worst that can happen? your already losing. they finally let him do it and we win a blowout 30-7 game.

burf, ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

just saw hilites and every time zach was running for his life was cos the big turnstile did his thing

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It was nice to see the O take over and the D (and our team MVP candidate punter and kicker) dominate leading to a complete game and a comfortable victory. How many double digit victories where this team puts a game away early have we seen with this regime? I can think of like 2 in 3 years. Loved seeing a convincing, complementary win.

NY Jets68 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Followed by another ticket sale!

ouchy likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

that was a complete game. the offense put up 30 (all in the 2nd half) the D held them to only 7. morestead was great in the 1st half. greg was great in the 2nd half.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... Zach made some really nice throws... and some clunkers.
    That throw on 3rd & 12 where he got flushed left and threw right (across his body) a 25 yd.strike to GW was something...
    Those are throws that few QB's can make... he followed that up with a perfect touch pass to Cobb in stride for a touchdown.

Zach said to DJ Reed before the game that he's got nothing to lose... "what are they gonna do... bench me?"

Here's a question...
    Let's say Zach balls out next week and beats Miami. Does Saleh let Aaron start against the Commanders if he's cleared?

NY Jets68 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson EVERY THROW - Week 14 - Huston Texans vs New York Jets

10. GasedAndConfused

lol thats pretty funny and mature of zach to make light of the situation.
    but thats what it seems he needed. the lack of pressure. he looked loose and like he was having fun. where other games he looked nervous to not turn it over. I really think the CS kinda fucked him by being too conservative.
    as far as rodgers goes, if he wants to play and is healthy and cleared I don't see a reason not to play him.

11. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I've been busy with work, & overall turned off by the CS, so haven't paid much attention other than watching games... I couldn't have said it any better. They finally just let him play, if he made mistakes, so be it.
    It really was a change in mentality of the CS (& Zach), rather than the playcalling (more on that later).

As for studs, I'd like to add to Sauce... my one problem with Sauce has always been his tackling. Always arm-tackling, rarely using his whole body. The past few weeks I've noticed a change, & yesterday he was all-in.
    His tackling has improved immensely, & I give him a stud+ for yesterday.

On Zach, the pass that impressed me the most, was one few mention.
    There was a pass to GW on Zach's left. He threw it before GW cut & turned. The ball was there as soon as GW turned. It's that anticipation I haven't seen before.
    Who knows if he'll ever be a consistent NFL QB, but it's in there, & hopefully, the CS won't revert & tighten the reigns again. The Jets D is strong enough to compensate for aggressive O mistakes.

Lastly, back to the playcalling yesterday, I didn't see anything much different, just that there was a more aggressive mentality, like in the 3rd qtr of the Chiefs game. It's like Saleh finally had an 'oh, fuck it' moment, let's just let the offense play, & see what happens, without being scared of making mistakes.
    On that, Nania on jetsxfactor had a similar take... an interesting read...

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/12/11/ny-jets-play-calling-texans-offense/

12. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Oh, boy. You just struck my biggest pet peeve nerve. "True fan". I HATE that kind of comment. It's almost always uttered by someone who ridicules diehard fans as "fake" or "fairweather" fans because they don't agree with their positive sunny rainbows and sunshine outlook. Guys who have stuck with this team through all the misery, over multiiple decades - the actual epitome of a true fan. You seem like a more grounded guy, so I'm surprised to see it coming from you.

Being negative about something that constantly gives you reason to be negative doesn't make someone a fake or "true" (quotes used in the context I'm taking yours to be) fan - in fact, it's the opposite.

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. The_Darksider

A-fucking-men.

14. The_Darksider

Everyone is entitled to "enjoy" a win, a loss, a tie, a game canceled because of lightning - whatever way they want. You, me, no one has any right to tell people how, when, or why they should or shouldn't enjoy a game.

15. GasedAndConfused

good to see you around. i understand needing a mental break with the way this season has gone.

I did have sauce in my studs list already. I agree his tackling has been much better the past few weeks. he probably got a lot of shit from the LBers on the team during film review.

as far as the playcalling went. in the 2nd half it was a full shift. we've been trying to run to set up the pass, which wasn't working and leaving us in 3rd and long all the time which limits the possible calls and makes it really hard for a QB with a weak o-line and weak WR group. this time in the 2nd half we were passing to set up the run. it opened up a little more room too and allowed the end around from gipson to work. we had 1 drive that was all passes that went for a TD. zach was smart and methodical and in rhythm. IIRC it was the opening drive after the half. Going for it on 4th down was aggressive too and it was a good play call faking it up the middle and handing it to GW. the timing was great with double motion too. it's plays like that we haven't seen on offense this season. and it helps the QB out a lot.

I know it sounds funny with a backup QB and out other issues but we need to be a pass 1st team. which will open up room in the run game and allow zach to get into rhythm. what we've been doing is running on early downs too much leaving us in 3rd and long so zach is throwing once a drive in the worst situations possible. it's much easier to throw on 1st and 2nd down

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

so I seen the whole quote and the 1st part was "i'm playing for you guys"
    with the report that he's going to be traded , it really sounds like when he was benched and made inactive he was told we would trade him in the offseason and give him a fresh start. which lines up with the whole worried about getting injured (you can't trade an injured player) if this is all true it's really piss poor management.

Acad23 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Uh, I've been a Jets fan since they were the NY Titans, so I know what long term misery and disappointment is. The thing is that most of those who are openly and continuously rooting against Zach seem to have their priorities screwed up. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, but if you really are a true Jets fan you can set aside your dislike of Zach and be happy for him the team after a win they deservedly won.

18. The_Darksider

If you have been a fan since the Titans days, then you know the misery. You know that the other shoe is always expected to drop. No one is "rooting against" Zach Wilson. No one "hates" Zach Wilson. They just expect the worst to happen.

And if you happen to be that one in 1 million Jets fan that hasn't succumbed to that expectation after 40 or 50, or God bless you, 60 years in your case, then good for you. But don't get on others for feeling it. And certainly please don't mistake frustration, anger, disappointment, and hurt for lack of being a fan or hatred. That is not it at all.

HomeoftheJets and Ralebird like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

IDK man, sure seems like people hate him and have been pretty unreasonable in discussing him. so much so that any time you try to make a reasonable post about him you are labeled a "zach truther" those people sure have been quiet the past 2 days though.

ColoradoContrails and burf like this.
  20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

bravo