Texans Cut Hoyer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HomeoftheJets, Apr 17, 2016.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Don't think so. Why would we need him? He really sucks. As a backup to an established starter sure why not but that's Geno's role on our team (and say what you will about him but he only costs 0.5mill this year).

Red Menace likes this.
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Hoyer this year is in the same position as Fitz last year (except he will not cost us draft picks).

Geno Smith this year is in the same position as Geno last year (still sucks except broken jaw incident is further proof that he can not be trusted to start).

FlaJet, ajax, rammagen and 5 others like this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I think Hoyer might be Plan Z for Mac, but no more than that. He's another Fitz-style steady hand QB but I don't think he'd be anywhere near as effective in covering up some of our deficiencies (e.g. O-Line)

5. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

If he comes on a 2 year $8 mill deal and we can draft a young guy or groom Petty I think its worth a call to Fitz to tell him either you take a 2 year $18 mill deal or we're moving on.

june19 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

At this point I would rather just use Petty, or Geno than sign Hoyer.

PabloJa, NoodleArm and Red Menace like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hoyer is not that different than Fitzpatrick. They have similar strengths and weaknesses.

Jetsfansince95 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hoyer provides Mac with much needed leverage vs Fitz. Watch him and his agent get on that phone pronto or face retirement

BH not a franchise answer but serviceable till we get someone in the draft

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Of course, I'd prefer Fitzpatrick to Hoyer.

But if Fitzpatrick doesn't come down to about $10mil per year from his reported ~$15miland Hoyer can be had for about $3-4mil, then it becomes a tougher call. As others have said, the two have similarities and one being each had some success with the Texans before hitting the market. Granted, Fitzpatrick had more success in his career than Hoyer, but not a ton more. An Fitz has been in more favorable situations than Hoyer such as playing with Chan Gailey's system in Buffalo. I think Hoyer could perform similarly to Fitz with this team and would bring a sense of leadership too.

If nothing is resolved before the draft and the Jets end up with Paxton Lynch, for example, it might be easier to go with Hoyer knowing that the either QB is really a stopgap.

At the least, I'm hoping this gives the Jets leverage and gets Fitz to come down to a more reasonable number

FlaJet, LAJet and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  10. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Fitz atleast showed flashes of being a good QB before coming here. Hoyer has never shown that.

To compare them is totally unfair to Fitz.

I wouldn't want Hoyer as a starter even if he came cheaper than what Geno is being paid.

Wanna win 5 games next year? Then sign Hoyer

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

Hoyer has at least made the playoffs in his career. I'm not sure I say definitively that fitz has had the better career

NYJetsO12 and harts24 like this.
  12. irishwhip03

Problem with that scenario is Lynch will most likely need to be traded up for. Thats not guaranteed but its a longshot that he lasts until 20.

And trading up means in all likelihood trading Mo , plus our 1st rounder and probably next years 3rd or 4th. Is that worth 5 or so spots? I dont think so.

So choose from either Plan A that has us resigning Fitz , possibly working something out with Mo longterm and also selecting either one of the top olineman or LB's with our 1st pick , or Plan B that has us losing both Fitz and Mo to draft a wildcard in Lynch.

No contest in my opinion.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Fitz is much better prior to the snap, Hoyer at times you really question his decision making at every aspect.

14. irishwhip03

Thats as pointless as a statement as |Trent Dilfer has more rings than Dan Marino , so he's better.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  15. JetFanInPA

It's definitely debatable, especially if you consider the different teams each guy had around them. Hoyer got to the playoffs (but put together one of the worst performances ever), but Fitz has more starting experience and better numbers I believe. I could imagine Hoyer playing similarly on this team

cval likes this.
  16. JetFanInPA

There's a chance Lynch goes earlier, but I was imagining a scenario in which he's available at 20. Trading up for him, which I wouldn't do, changes that

17. irishwhip03

Hoyer got the playoffs in a horrible division. And was part of 4 different QB's getting that team there. A team which also has a top 5 WR and what probably is the most dominant defensive player in the league on it.

Im not saying Fitz is great , but how its debatable is beyond me

18. BrowningNagle

No the situations aren't at all comparable

19. irishwhip03

Yeah if the draft is here and nothing is resolved on the Fitz front , Mac will have a hard time at 20 if Lynch is sitting there. I just cant see it considering its almost certain that two QB's go in the first 2 picks. Some team is going to jump in there and select another.

If he's there at 20 it could stir up some decent drama. Or also could be another bargaining chip to knock Fitz' price down too.

20. BrowningNagle

Sometimes you have to question fitz's decision making too but I'll say that's a fair statement. He probably makes better decisions overall than hoyer. They both get the ball out quickly though