Tell me about Bourbon and Scotch (Wanna stop drinking beer)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Lol. Will change the title :)

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Too late. The MLL has been merged into the PLL.

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Go with this right in your beer, easy to dose how much you want so you don't overdo it.
    I don't like smoking much so I go mostly with tinctures, drops etc., Florida is also getting edibles soon.
    The drops come in unflavored also, the lime I just use in water.
    [​IMG]

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Why no one mentioned HOW to drink it is beyond me. Can you drink it neat? Sure. On the rocks? I guess.

Seriously, though, try just adding some water. Make sure it's clean, filtered water. It'll cut down the harshness of the alcohol and let you experience the other flavors that you DO want to taste. Cause if you just want to taste alcohol, you might as well just do shots of vodka. Add a little, see how it is. Add some more water if you want, test again. You'd be surprised how much water you can add to whiskey and it'll still taste like whiskey. Just won't be as harsh.

Acad23 and Brook! like this.
  5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I started drinking bourbon when I was in my 20's. I started drinking it on the rocks and by my 30's I was drinking it neat. I used to drink Marker's Mark, Buillet, Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden's, etc. I never liked scotch because the only time I had it was when I was a teen and I would steal a bottle of White Label from my parents and chug it with my friends.

In my mid 30's I decided I wanted to like scotch. I had some friends that were into it and it seemed like the "adult" spirit of choice. The thing about scotch is that they can taste radically different from one another depending on what region of Scotland it comes from. So I needed to experiment to find the right one for me. The first scotch that I truly enjoyed (and is still my "go to" today) is Glenlivet 12 year old. I find it to be the perfect beginner scotch as it's very mild with a well balanced flavor that isn't overbearing. It's also not that expensive and can be had for around $45 a bottle. What I love about scotch is that there are so many different varieties. I'll drink a heavy peat flavored scotch in the winter (Lagavulin 16 yo) and lighter scotches in the summer. It's almost like all the different types of beer you can drink, from porters to pale ales.

Once I developed a taste for scotch, I really couldn't go back to drinking bourbon neat. It tastes like gasoline to me now. I find it overly sweet and very hot compared to scotch. For a change of pace I will drink Irish whiskey (which I used to hate). If I do drink american whiskey it is usually rye whiskey that I mix into either a Manhattan or a proper Old Fashioned. I feel rye stands up better to the vermouth and bitters. If you've never had a good Manhattan (made with good, well preserved and refrigerated sweet vermouth) you should give it a try. It's one of my favorite classic cocktails.

Good luck with your search!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Brook! and donkey like this.
  6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

$60 bottles that never disappoint:

Old Scout
    Noah's Mill
    Knob Creek Single Barrel
    1792 Bottled-in-Bond
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Old Forrester 1920
    George Dickle 11-year Bottled-in-Bond

Cheapies that get overlooked:
    Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Old Granddad 114

Brook! likes this.
  7. Brook!

Professor bicketybam. You are invited to Madison, NJ to guide me at our liquor store. Awesome post. Thanks.

bicketybam and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Bickety Bam’s sentiments about Scotch is exactly why I made the transition from Scotch to aged (Anejo) tequila.

Frankly, the flavor profile offers a similar complexity as Scotch but at a fraction of the price on the top shelf.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

This is all the shit I got this past holiday season.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Do you live in a liquor store?

matt robinson 17 and Brook! like this.
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I should have put a sleeping bag in some of these places visiting the amount of times I had to, to score them.

I had a lot of saved time off at the end of the year so I would go on scavenger hunts.

I’m pretty much out of the bourbon buying game for a long long time (unless I can get my hands on a Pappy 15)

Brook! likes this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Same thing applies to that fucking Pepsi Rolex.

That took an absurd amount of legwork to score one from an authorized dealer.

Brook! likes this.
  13. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Noticed the Colonel Taylor. A few years ago I was fortunate enough to get his Small Batch. Very nice indeed. I did check which side he was on in the Civil War. Didn't want any damn sessesh whisky. :p

GQMartin and Brook! like this.
  14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

You survived 2020, and you want to reward yourself by not drinking beer??????????

15. Brook!

Beer makes me fat :) But since I started this thread, I tried scotch and bourbon but not my thing. Gave up.

Beer for me. Occasional wine too.

JackBower and matt robinson 17 like this.
  16. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Espresso Martinis?
    Espresso or Cinnamon vodka?

Could try those.

Brook! likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You definitely have to make a commitment to liking whisky. Not many people taste either for the first time and love it. Most people start by mixing spirits with something (soda, juice, etc.) but that defeats the purpose of what you are looking to accomplish (eliminate calories).

Back in college I used to drink Jack Daniel's and coke. When I got into early 20's I made the transition from that to Jack on the rocks. It was pretty easy since I was used to the taste of JD. From there I just graduated to better whiskeys on the rocks and then straight up. I did the same thing with gin. I started with gin and tonic and eventually moved to martinis.

I guess my point is that it is going to be pretty tough to go straight to a spirit served neat, straight up or on the rocks if you are not used to drinking hard liquor. If you want to give it another shot try mixing bourbon with a low sugar or sugar free cola or ginger ale. If you like that, then start making them stronger and eventually eliminate the mixer if you want.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Brook! likes this.
  18. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Nice haul! I can never find Blanton's by me.

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Same, beer/wine fan but never much into spirits.

Beer has also made me fat. Im definitely rocking the covid-19

Brook! likes this.
  20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

What are you, a fucking injun?

abyzmul likes this.