Tebow most wins , most TDs best QB rating of the 2010 Draft QB class

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by CowboysFan, May 2, 2012.

1. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Its hard to argue with anything you wrote.

My top 5 all time are:

Montana
    Marino
    Elway
    Brady
    Farve( if only based on his durability which was insane)

2. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Yeah I pictured you guys in the middle of a wheat field talking to each other :)

3. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Tebow and Cam are too special. Too rare to be a trend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Vick has a slight build. Tebow and Cam are bigger and can take the hits better. If you recall, Tebow's only real injuries this year came while he was standing in the pocket. If you want, we can get into the physics of it. Just think about a person standing in one spot while 1 or 2 300+ lb linemen come barreling towards him.

Compare that to the QB running downfield and getting tackled by smaller linebackers. When you're running, you can prepare yourself for hits, or, as Tebow often does, you can be the one who actually delivers the blow.

This is not to say that he would ever get injured during a run, but rather, he stands a much greater chance of getting injured while in the pocket.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Hmm interesting.

We will see, I think a lot rides on Newton and RG III since quarterback has primarily been a non African American position in the NFL even though NFL skill positions like DB, WR, RB are primarily African American dominated. If some of the future athletes can turn into superb athletes like Adrian Peterson, Cromartie, Desean Jackson, etc and at a young age decided to pick up QB play because of RG III/ Newton we could see an influx of highly athletic QB's.

The next part is if a QB that runs as frequently Tebow, Newton , Vick, etc can keep up that play consistently and effectively. The rules right now protect the passers in the pocket, but once they take off they are free to be hit within the rules unless they slide. That will be a key area to watch.

6. Demosthenes9

Another thing to consider would be the strategic impact IF more NFL teams start going with the Spread Option AND you have a large pool of Spread Option QBs coming out of college. Instead of these guys going undrafted, or drafted and then converted into pocket passers, they can come in and run systems that they do well in.

With such a large pool, you wouldn't need to pay QBs $20 mil per year, and you could afford to have a number of good QBs on your roster, so injuries would be less of a concern.

7. Agamemnon

Agamemnon New Member

Brett Favre
    Peyton Manning
    Eli Manning
    Ron Jaworski
    Tom Brady

This is a list of the top 5 longest starting streaks for qbs
    notice they are all pocket passers
    They stay healthy because they get rid of the football, they dont take devastating shots because the the ball is out before the defenders get there
    The idea that a qb is more likely to get hurt in the pocket is just flat out wrong

Tim's ability to stay healthy going forward is going to have less to do with how much he bench presses or how strong he is, and more to do with his ability to read a defense and get the ball out of his hand quickly and on time

8. Demosthenes9

Funny thing is of that list, Favre was the one who ran the most. He was always extending plays, scrambling, heading off down field, yada, yada, yada.

9. Agamemnon

Agamemnon New Member

Brett Favre's highest rushing total for a season was 216, and I think he only eclipsed 200 once before

Brett Favre was an athletic pocket passer, but still a pocket passer

Having 100-200 rushing yards from the qb position is not "scrambling", even Brady has gotten over a 100 yards before

10. Bannon

Bannon New Member

What would have counted as "not pocket passer" when you were compiling the list?

11. Remarker

Remarker Banned

You guys are making many valid and excellant points. Regardless, I am soo pumped to see how it plays out and I expect the Sanchez/Tebow tandem to play out to the Jets benefit.

I am more anxious for football season to get here than I have ever been.

12. NewEnglandJet

NewEnglandJet Banned

The shear quanity of pocket passers to scrambilings qbs will always side toward pocket passers. I agree that the Tebow needs to get rid of the ball faster or he will continue to get injured in the pocket. That being said, I also agree that Tebow is less likely to get injured scrambling and with designed run plays. When using option plays Tebow rarely keeps the ball if there isnt an open lane with free yards.

Hopefully we won't have to watch to many games with Sanchez. Ive never seen such a soft and fragile minded quarterback. Its hilarious to read posters continue to worry about Sanchez's feelings, and it was a sad day when last year I found myself more excited to watch Broncos games than Jets.

#72 NewEnglandJet, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  13. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Tebow may rarely keep the ball on a option play but he still gets hit running it. Sorry to disappoint u but you will see Sanchez as the Jets starter all year.

14. displacedfan

How were you more excited to watch another team over your team (assuming your a jets fan?).

I also disagree about Sanchez being fragile minded and soft. Do you have examples why you believe this? The kid took a beating in the pocket all year and didn't miss a single series. Got up every single, even after multiple illegal hits, and kept on playing.Don't see a soft QB there. I also don't think he is fragile minded. He just doesn't show emotion either way anymore because the CS told him to tone down his enthusiasm and his frustrated looks, thats why you get get the "dont care" face which is really "not going to visisbly show emotions"

15. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

burn this section of the forum to the ground and piss on the remains

16. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

:rofl2: "Very good"??? :lol: Elway is one place that Tim Tebow won't ever be unless he buys a ticket like all the other fans: HOF.

The demise of the pocket passer has been predicted for about three decades now, going back to the days of Randall Cunningham. Every time some team takes a chance on one of these run-first QBs, all the fanboys come out of the woodwork predicting that RBs who can throw will soon eclipse pocket passing QBs. What gets eclipsed is the throwing RBs as opponents figure them out.

Michael Vick's initial success was because of his running not his QB skills which were pretty poor -- and they were still better than Tebow's. Vick's -- and Atlanta's --stock fell as teams figured out how to defense him. His imprisonment on dog fighting charges probably saved Vick's career because he wouldn't have changed his playing style without time off to reflect on his previously stupid actions and to realize how much he wanted to play the game.

Vick's having success now because he's learned to be a pocket passer who can run not a RB who can throw.

#76 Catt_County, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  17. Remarker

Remarker Banned

As a 3/12er newb to these boards and the Jets, one of my first impressions was that many vet. posters seemed to think Sanchez was a wash while only a few vet. posters were pro-Sanchez. Most pro-Sanchez vets. seemed to think Jets' loses were everyone's fault but Sanchez's. Even after reviewing some Sanchez highlights (understandably skewed to the positive) and some of his after game press apearances (bland), my jury was 'out' until one of my fellow 3/12ers posted a stat comparison between between Sanchez and other 3 year starters. Comparitively, Sanchez has really good stats regardless of Jets' loses or whether he is "fragile minded and soft" or not.

My jury will stay 'out' until the Jets get a few games under their belts this season, but my take on the prospects of the Jets' being successful requires Sanchez continues to put up really good stats. Based on what I hear and read, I'm encouraged.

#77 Remarker, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  18. NewEnglandJet

NewEnglandJet Banned

Perhaps my problem with the Sanchise is more influenced by the media interpretation then what I actually know. I know this was discussed at length months ago but quotes like this frustrated me this year.

"We have to bring in another quarterback that will make him work at practice," said one player. "He’s lazy and content because he knows he’s not going to be benched."

"They don’t want to be truthful with him," one prominent player said of the way that the organization has handled Sanchez. "They treat him like a baby instead of a man. He goes in a hole when someone tells him the truth."

A Jets spokesman declined to make Sanchez available for this story. A source close to the team pointed out that Sanchez’s inability to handle mounting criticism prompted him to unfollow every Jets beat writer on Twitter earlier this season.

"So that should tell you everything," the source said. "He just doesn’t have the mental toughness to be great... especially in New York."

It was pretty embarassing having to read all the shit we were given last year. Lin and Tebow were those movie-like stories and quite entertaining. Hopefully he can prove me wrong and grab the team by the balls and become a vocal leader.

19. displacedfan

Yeah Sanchez needs to improve, I think everyone agrees on that. The discussion from him comes from what his potential and peak is. I think he could become a Eli/Big Ben skill and talent wise best case scenario. Can make the big plays, make them late in the game, but makes some mistakes that have you throwing things at your tv. Others think Sanchez has peaked and he won't improve anymore. We will see, but I personally think Schotty leaving was a great thing for Sanchez, the Jets, and Schotty. Everyone needed a fresh start.

Yeah you are basing that all on anonymous sources, I wouldn't put much stock into it especially when multiple current and ex-Jets came out and said that Sanchez is the first one in and the last one out of the facilities, that he is not lazy. A few ex players, including Damien Woody, said that every QB is coddled in the league, and that what Sanchez was getting might be a little more but no different than other QBs.

I put much more stock in all the teammates coming out to defend him than anonymous sources. If you are basing all of your thinking of Sanchez on one anonymous article at the end of the season instead of 3 years of it, IMO that's not the best strategy.

20. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

You're right. The NFL is trendy enough to ditch old trends and go for new ones in a second (the current trends being pass pass pass, big ass TEs, and dual-threat QBs).