Tebow draft day bait?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Jetfan76, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

They already have. That's why they signed Henne.

2. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Mark Sanchez is an easier target than Blaine Gabbert. A fourth year veteran QB who sucks is a lot easier to dislodge from the starting job than a 2nd year top ten draft pick QB who sucks. There are a lot more people who will think the 2nd year QB still has "upside" than will think that about the fourth year vet.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If this happens then Tebow will have had a better Jets career than Drew Stanton.

4. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Must give Jaguar fans a ton of confidence knowing Chad Henne's their "Plan B."

5. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Must say I'm quite excited to see if Mark can get back on improving, and also what Sparano comes up with Tebow in the mix... so, just for my own amusement - I'd be pretty happy to see how Circus Jets turns out this season.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I'm not even sure this can happen, he turned down a trade to Jacksonville to come to the Jets. Even Tannenshit wouldn't brave the absolute shit storm the media would create if he now traded him to them.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He didn't turn down a trade anywhere.

8. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

If we ended up with more draft value than when we started, this move would be genius.

9. Don

#29 Don, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

They asked Tebow what his preference was. He never said he wouldn't go somewhere. He had no say anyway, the Broncos asked his preference as a favor to him.

11. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

Great thought, but i think its a bit unrealistic.

12. Don

That's why I said use whatever words you want. He had a chance to go home and he preferred to go to the Jets. Elway says Jacksonville offered more. To me that is turning it down.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm sorry, there's a clear distinction between turning something down and choosing one option over another. If someone offers you the choice between an apple and a banana and you go apple, it doesn't mean you turned down the banana.

14. Don

Sure it does..there is a clear distinction between refusing one over the other and turning down one over the other. I never said he refused it, I said he turned it down and since that was a chance to return to his hometown I think it was worded exactly as it should have been.

15. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Saying, "I prefer 'X' over 'Y'," is not the same thing as "turning down 'Y'."

If Elway had chosen to trade him to Jacksonville, then he'd be a Jaguar. To Elway's credit he apparently considered Tebow's preference, but Tebow never had the power to turn down Jacksonville, unless he was willing to refuse to play in the NFL and there is no account whatsoever that was the case.

16. catsigater

catsigater New Member

That distinction is only in your own mind. The common and widespread understanding of "turn something down" is:

turn something down

1. to bend or fold something down.

2. to decrease the volume of something.

3. to reject something; to deny someone's request.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/turn+down

"To turn down" is exactly synonymous with refusing or rejecting and not equivalent to "preferring not" to do something.

17. Don

Yeah..right..he rejected the opportunity to go home. Let me give you another example..if two girls ask you to the dance and you say yes to one and no to the other ask the one you said no to whether you turned her down or not. That (according to Elway) was exactly the choice he had..in fact ask the Jacksonville owner if he turned them down or not.

#37 Don, Apr 20, 2012
  18. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Not saying they will trade Tebow during the draft but he doesn't get a say so if they do or not.

19. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Nope, that wasn't the choice.

Your example is erroneous because the Jets and Jaguars didn't ask Tebow. They informed the Broncos of their interest, and Elway graciously allowed Tebow some say.

So the scenario would be, "If two guys came and asked someone's father if they could take their daughter to the dance, and the father then asked the daughter what her preference was, all the while everyone knowing the father had the final say as to who she would go with," then the girl hasn't "turned anyone down," because she didn't have the power to do so.

She merely was allowed to express her preference. It's the father who "turned someone down," just as it was Elway who turned down the Jaguars.

If Elway had told Tebow he was a Jaguar, he'd be a Jaguar, regardless of what his preference was.

Allowing someone to express their preference isn't the same as giving them veto power, unless you've already told them that whatever their preference is will be your decision.

No one's stated Elway ceded his authority to Tebow on this.

#39 catsigater, Apr 20, 2012
  20. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Kind of yes and kind of no. When you have two options and you pick one of them, you are choosing that one over the other, and you are indeed turning down the second in favor of the first.

If I am given the choice of chocolate or vanilla ice cream and I choose chocolate, then yes, I have turned down vanilla in this case, otherwise, I would have chosen it instead.

That said, this is not to say that I would always turn down vanilla ice cream, especially if it's the only thing offered to me.