Teams Interested In Richardson?!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 25, 2017.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I do think Richardson is the better player even though I think the Jets made the right choice.

I also think that if the Jets kept Richardson instead of Mo, they still wouldn't know how to use him correctly.

The best thing that can happen to Sheldon is he is traded to a team that runs a 4-3 cover 2 and he's inserted into the 3T.

He'd be Sapp 3.0

I think Warren Sapp realized that and it's why he kept trashing SR early in his career. He saw the guy that could make his legacy an afterthought.

Interesting thing, though. He's also Sapp 3.0 when it comes to being a fucking idiot off the field.

2. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Just trying to understand your point. If he has a great 2017, how will him drawing more interest as a FA benefit the Jets?

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Guess he plans to franchise him and pay him around $13-14 million to play out of position again.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If they're going to do that they better play him at DT this season. If they split him between DT and OLB he's going to claim they need to franchise him under that number and that's $14.45M this year.

If they play him at DE he's going to cost $17M+.

Trade Mo. Figure out Richardson at the end of the year. That's what the Jets should have done last year. It's what they should have done after 2014. It's not too late to figure it out.

Get a 2nd round pick for Mo and be done with it. Then if the BPA at 6 is really a DL by a mile and that's probably what the case is going to be you have Leo and that guy for 5 seasons anchoring the line. If Richardson has a great season this year, well then you franchise him and trade him cheaper than you'd like too next year but you get better than a comp 3 back for him also.

Damage control.

And if Jerry Jones comes calling for Leo Williams with a 1,2,3 and a 1st next year you give him Leo and you take the DT on the 6 and let things sort themselves out. Herschel Walker built the Cowboys.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

People waiting for Richardson to have a big season will end up being skeletons staring at the TV. He had 2 years to prove he could be a great player and all he did was smoke weed and drove 130 mph in a car.

Mo coming off a broken leg, still had more sacks and I am sure Sheldon had plenty of chances to get to the qb despite playing OLB at times.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Richardson missed 4 games to the suspension and then got played out of position a lot. He was in the doghouse most of the year.

Anybody can see that he has more motor than 99% of the players out there, including Mo, when he is on his game. His off the field deficits have been crippling to the Jets and so he probably has to go. It's a shame. He was a superstar in the making and Grade A Idiot got in the way of that.

The Jets rarely figure out the kind of conundrum that Mo-Richardson-Leo-the 6 pose and get the best value out of the deal. It takes true vision and tremendous fortitude to get things right when you are blessed with an overwhelming surplus in one area and need to rationalize it across the field.

There's no solution that they can pick that won't get torn to shreds by the piranha pack in the media. The Jets might see that as a problem but I'd see it as a solution instead. If anything you do will be shredded you might as well do the thing that you truly believe will make for the best team in 2019 and just ignore the piranha when they start biting. If you're right the fans will retire those guys in short order. If not, well you were going to get shredded no matter what you did anyway.

NCJetsfan and MoWilkBeast like this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

They tried to trade Mo and couldn't get a second before his injury, his shit season and before his poor attitude became known to the entire league. His value didn't go up after last season !
    If they can't trade Sheldon this off season, they could very well sign him long term and send Mo out the door. As far as your last statement...
    Why take so little from the Cowboys for Williams. I'm sure he would give us Dak , Dez , Zeke , Tyron Smith , Frederick and Zack Martin plus his 1 St, second and third round picks this year and next..........
    Getting rid of Walker built the Cowboys. Not obtaining him .....

8. TonyFtLaud

The Jets had the plan in place, unfortunately Mo got hurt and his value diminished , Sheldon got suspended and his value dropped as well.
    Injuries happen , suspension happen. Time to get rid of Richardson , take the 2 picks, bank the $8 million and move on

9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

What I'm trying to point out is that if SR stays for 2017 and Bowles somehow miraculously uses him correctly, he has a very good year (assuming), and Jets franchise him. I think this is very possible. Let this play out instead of trying to get blood out of a rock.

10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised if Richardson has a good year as it will in effect be a contract year, I'm more hopeful that we trade him for a 3rd of 4th round pick because there's no shot we get a first or second for him.

Our d line is crowded and given that Wilkerson was signed to an extension and Williams is a stud, Richardson just does not have a spot on this team.

Get what you can for him and address the other glaring holes on this roster.

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  11. BomberJet

I think it's worth the gamble, based on what we know what he's capable of, to see how he performs in 2017. If he rebounds, Jets can franchise him. Tossing out a player after 1 bad year that we can easily blame on Bowles's mis-coaching him, really sux.

But on that note, a conditional draft in 2018 wouldn't be a bad deal either.

12. BomberJet

not quite. lol, you missed the 2nd part
    "Sheldon got caught a lot so nobody should "chalk it off" as an unfortunate incident."

This implies to me that that even though fines and games were imposed on him, NFL and teams should continue to punish
    him. That's my issue with this - ok he made some mistakes and he got caught - he paid his dues and had to answer for it.

If he didn't have a bad year, would we even argue this point? He never dogged one game despite Bowles lousy coaching tactics.
    It wouldn't gnaw me to see him stay for 1 more season......rid of him for just a 4th rounder? Can't see that occurring..

JetLifeLo likes this.
  13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Why are people talking about this man as if he's garbage? He's a special talent and if used correctly could be a HOF caliber lineman. Lets not act like the jets dysfunction and lack of coaching isn't effecting players the players play on the field. Sheldon has a very high motor and at times looks like he's the only one trying even when shit hits the fan. You can only respect that as a fan...

People saying "all he's done is drive a car and smoke weed" is just nitpicking... the NFL has moved on from it, he hasn't been in trouble since.. why you holding on to that? Keep it football.. he was young and made a mistake like many players have done.. no need to act like he's a terrible player because of it.

BomberJet likes this.
  14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Hell no... I'm with you 100%... a 4th?!?!? How is it not more beneficial to just keep him around?

15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think its because of the off the field problems that people have soured on him. His production last season was pretty average but I'm not sure if thats because of him, Bowles usage of him, or both. I think its probably both....Had we not signed Wilkerson to an extension I would be more inclined to lock Richardson to an extension and let Wilkerson walk because I think Richardson is a special talent....he just needs to get his head right and focus on football. He has the talent to be really really good.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  16. BomberJet

LOL, yeah well......if they franchised him = he had a great year = they played him correctly ! Well, I'd take that over just a 4th rounder any day.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Past performance is a prediction (or as you like to put it, "implication") of future actions.
    Yes, he was punished, but in the eyes of any future employee he is likely to repeat the offense.

This implies he will be suspended in the future, meaning he is worth less than he would otherwise.
    Same goes for a bad year, btw.

You want it to be
    "Past indiscretions are paid off, so we can't count them", but also "He played well in the past so we must pay him high $$ (or picks)"
    You can't have it both ways: you either basing your opinion on the past, or you don't.

His value floor is ~4th-rounder because he is a phenomental player - as implied by past performance.
    His value ceiling is ~ 3rd-rounder because he is a suspension risk - as implied by past incidents.

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

wouldn't we better off finding a way to better utilize Richardson. Getting rid of him, reminds me of Jonathan Vilma situation.

We talk ourself out of a talent and then watch him flourish elsewhere

19. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Vilma didn't have the off the field issues and i agree we should not have let him go. If the team can't get value for Richardson, let him play out his contract and "IF" he shows himself to be maturing then attempt to extend him later in the season.

20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

it makes no sense to keep richardson. i dont see how he helps us in any way next season. yes, he makes the team better. but we arent going to compete so that actually hurts our draft position.

trading him nets us $8 mill and can get us two additional picks in a draft loaded with defensive backs and tight ends. those just happen to be two of the weaker positions on this team.

at this point, four years from a 4th and 5th/6th is more valuable to the future of the team than one year from richardson

and to those of you making the point that we will receive a comp pick for richardson, that is only the case if we dont sign any UFA next year. and the pick wont be until 2019

TonyFtLaud likes this.