Teams Interested In Richardson?!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 25, 2017.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

SR and the Jets will need to move on and chalk it off as an aberration. That's they way it must be addressed - he didn't have any of those issues in college so it's not like we have a player here that has repeatedly had questionable off-field issues in the past.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The knock on Richardson going all the way back to high school was his lack of maturity. Skipping class his senior year in HAS caused him to be ineligible to attend Missouri. After 2 years at JUCO he went to Missouri and was suspended for missing classes. He also tended to piss off the coaching staff with comments made to the media.
    Fast forward to 2016 , benched for missing meetings. Still running his mouth. He has not grow up yet.
    His potential is off the charts, but so is the probability that he picks up another suspension.
    That's why his value is where it's at.
    Partying is his priority. His stupid Facebook video from the locker room prior to a game showed where his head is at. Every GM has seen it, has heard his comments in the media and are aware of his arrests. Couple that with the Jets having No under contract for big $ and Williams , they know Richardson is odd man out.
    Had Sheldon not screwed up, twice, He and Williams would have been the players to keep and Mo would be gone. Unfortunately, Mo got hurt, Sheldon fucked up and the Jets lost alot of trade value as a result.

RuJFan likes this.
  3. BomberJet

Whatever the knock , he still warranted being picked in the 1st round and the accomplishments he made his 1st 2 years in the league. That can't be ignored. Maybe he's immature as many have pointed out. Whatever the case, his marketability is at the lowest it can possibly be.
    Bowles should be held partly responsible for Sheldon's idiotic doings, imo. Buy low, sell high is my motto. A 4th rounder is absurd.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

Agree he warranted the pick, performed at a high level his first 2 seasons. Then his off field issues began and only got worse.
    Bowles is responsible to a degree. He doesn't hold players accountable and has played Sheldon out of position.
    As I said, I believe that the plan was to sign Sheldon long term and trade Mo , however Sheldons off field transgressions made Mo the smart choice for a long term deal.
    The options are simple now.
    Play Sheldon out of position this season and watch him walk getting nothing in return. No compensatory pick would be likely as we will have a ton of cash and will surely sign a comparable FA next year.
    Or trade him for the reported 4th this year and 3rd that can be higher based on contract extension and playing time.
    I'd take 2 picks vs nothing.

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Do you know how many times it takes to get caught before NFL issues a sanction for substance abuse? Look it up.

It wasn't like an upstanding citizen forgot once to help a granny cross a road. Sheldon got caught a lot so nobody should "chalk it off" as an unfortunate incident.

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

So you acknowledge that perception is at a low, but then saying that low pick for him is absurd. Yeah, that makes sense.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I started to click on like for this post, as I appreciate all the information about Richardson dating back to HS, and agree with your 5th paragraph, but your last paragraph saying that you'd have kept Richardson and Williams if he hadn't screwed up twice ruined it for me.

Even if Richardson hadn't screwed up twice, I still would have kept Mo over him. Mo gets better pressure on opposing QBs, has more sacks, and has more Passes Defensed in spite of Richardson having played OLB and Mo has played DE his whole career. Mo is smarter, has better character and is a better player. Richardson can't be traded soon enough to suit me.

8. BomberJet

LOL, do you understand the concept of holding and waiting for the highest bid?

What doesn't make sense?? His marketability is at an all time low. You don't make dealings with opponents (other teams) on a commodity that's repressed. This is a perfect example of Buy Low/Sell High. Wait it out for 2017 - guaranteed that if he matches his performance the 1st 2 years he draw much more attention.

9. BomberJet

So, I get the impression that , no matter if he faced the consequences, he's black balled from his profession for his remaining career?

Fine, I see where you stand on this issue. Even a driver with a DWI charge gets a 2nd chance, whatever.

#89 BomberJet, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

1st, it's not the 2nd chance -- FAR from it.

2nd, your exaggeration is cute. Show me who says that "he's black balled from his profession for his remaining career".

The conversation is that his off-field behaviour resulted in lessening of the trade value. And so expecting a high pick in return is not realistic.
    Try to keep up.

TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. BomberJet

Ok pay attention.....
    your quote:

"It wasn't like an upstanding citizen forgot once to help a granny cross a road. Sheldon got caught a lot so nobody should "chalk it off" as an unfortunate incident."

This tells me that you think SR's issues should not be forgotten, which implies that he should be out of football. You can't have it both ways. If the Jets feel this way , then every team should follow suit..

You know that it all comes down to?

It doesn't matter what you or I think of SR, as a person or a future player in the NFL. It's what a business person like a GM would expect to do in this situation.

I seriously doubt that Mac is going to get rid of SR with just a 4th round pick. Like it or lump it.

I've been wrong, jmo.

12. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

he appears to suffer from asshole-itis.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

No reason to trade Sheldon for a 4th. He's worth more than that based on his talent alone and if he leaves in FA next year, we get a comp 4th anyways. I think the best use of a Sheldon trade would be to move up in the draft. For example, trade sheldon and our 2nd, to get an extra late first rounder or something. I just want the guy outta here because he's a problem in the locker room and lets emotion get the best of him. I'll never forget when he took it upon himself to call a timeout because he thought the offense wasn't ready and cost us that game tying TD against the Packers.

14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

So in your book
    "wasn't like an upstanding citizen" = "issues should not be forgotten" = "should be out of football"

Makes perfect sense.. NOT

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Dude, you're ignorant. After the 2017 season, SR will be a FA and the Jets will only get a bottom of the 3rd round comp pick if they don't sign any high profile FAs. The chances are, they'd wind up losing SR for nothing. They need cap space NOW. They need players NOW. He is another screwup waiting to happen. He isn't just immature, he's stupid! He doesn't learn from his mistakes. There is NO reason for the Jets to keep him this season. They'll be better off without him.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Yes there is. He may be worth more than a 4th in talent alone, but unfortunately talent isn't the only consideration. When a player is one screw up away from being suspended for a season, that greatly lowers his value. Bowles playing him out of position lowered his value. It is what it is.

I seriously doubt that he is in the Jets' long-range plans. He's just too unstable and unreliable. He's gonna demand big $ in his next contract. The Jets already have enough $s and cap space tied up in their DL. Other teams know that.

The Jets need the $8 million cap space they can get by trading him NOW.

You yourself admit that SR is not the kind of player you want on a young developing team. He is a negative and a distraction the team doesn't need.

I don't think the Jets have any business trading up in this draft. Using Sheldon instead of another draft pick would be ok, but I would rather just trade him flat out and get what we can get. The idea of a 4th this season and a conditional pick next season that could be higher than a 4th if that team is able to sign him long term sounds like a win-win to me.

Sam Hammer and TonyFtLaud like this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

I understand your disliked of Richardson and share that sentiment.
    As far as the comparison between Mo and Sheldon, yes Mo has better stats, but he is playing his natural position.
    Compare Sheldon and Mo's first 2 seasons and Sheldon actually has better stats. After that Sheldon was moved out of position and his stats dropped off.
    Richardson's character sucks no question, that's why he needs to go and why his value is so low. Wilkerson's character is not that much better. Let's remember his reckless driving that could easily have killed him, his passengers and the occupants of the Truck he hit. Couple that with his constantly being late , (was a sticking point to signing him long term)lack of leadership and lack of accountability (showing up completely out of shape and blaming the training staff in week 16).

18. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Might as well just keep him. If he has a good first half of the season trade him, if not let him walk. Will probably getting a 3rd compensatory pick.

19. TonyFtLaud

I understand your view. Richardson is more valuable than a 4th round pick. I agree but in order to get him to the level of play from his first 2 seasons we have to sacrifice Williams development by moving him. Mo would just refuse to move and then what? Try to move him prior to the trade deadline? Slim chance of trading him and if we can't move him he walks and we get nothing in return.
    We will not receive a compensatory pick for him because we are going to have plenty of cap space next year and are going to sign more than 1qualifing FA.
    Sometimes you take a loss , better to get a 4th rounder and 3rd next year than nothing.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

There will be no pick if he walks. We have alot of UFAs next season but will have money to sign off setting FAs for Sheldon and possibly Pryor if he is released and qualifies for a compensatory pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.