Teams Interested In Richardson?!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 25, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Richardson is the one that wants a bigger deal, they should be trading him. If Mo doesn't perform next year he can be cut.

His 2018 base salary ($16.75 million) doesn't become fully guaranteed until the third day of the '18 league year, meaning the Jets can cut him without crushing their salary cap (a $9 million hit). I would rather see if Mo can return to form this coming season and evaluate him then. Mo at his best, still better then Richardson who never really had that breakout year. They should've resigned Mo years ago on better value and traded Sheldon as soon as possible. Maybe before he was caught smoking weed with a gun in the car driving 100+ MPH or whatever.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Mo didn't want to be signed "years ago". He wait waiting for Mario Williams and JJ Watt's numbers

3. 101GangGreen101

I don't think so. Remember when the Saints Cam Jordan got his deal? Remember the tweet Mo sent out?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/06/jets_mo_wilkerson_on_cam_jordans_deal_with_saints.html

Here was Cam Jordan's contract:

5 year, $55,000,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including a $16,000,000 signing bonus, $33,469,000 guaranteed. Jets could've signed Mo right then and there.

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Mo tweeted that he saw how it works? And based on this you think he was going to agree to the same lowball contract?

Mo always thought he is top 3 in the league. He was waiting for the numbers from the top guys.

Mo got 86M with 53.5M guaranteed

Williams: 100/50
    Watt: 100/52

He got his guaranteed value, Jets got long term discount

5. 101GangGreen101

It wasn't a lowball contract at that time. Remember Cox and other lineman seasons later redefined the market. Especially Fletcher Cox.

At that time when Jordan got the deal, it would've been a good starting point and maybe a few more guaranteed dollars and Mo takes the deal.

Only player taking Suh or Watt money was Sheldon.

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Sure, it WOULD be if Mo took it, but he didn't

You are assuming that nobody asked him.
    I'm assuming that he was asked, but chose to wait for Watt and Suh (thanks for reminding, btw. Suh got 114/60)

Neither of us know for sure, but what do you think is more likely: GM offering Cox's $$ knowing that Suh and Watt are coming up, or just not offering anything?

EDIT:
    I remember talk here on TGG at the time of Suh's new contract. Something about Fins screwing us with that ridiculous $114M, and the Mo was smart to wait.

7. 101GangGreen101

Going off pure speculation, but I feel like Idzik never negotiated with Mo or never took it seriously. Jets however let the market set itself twice with Suh and Cox. I personally would've tried to extend him a season or two earlier before. You are correct we really don't know what happened. The deal now was solid and if Mo doesn't bounce back, the Jets will have the last laugh cause he'll never see the full deal he signed on for.

8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I think Mo will bounce. How high - that's a different question.
    In any case, his contract was reasonable under the circumstances. As to Idzik... he was a shitty selector, but decent $$ manager. I'd expect that he did try to get Mo under ink. But who knows...

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

all things considered with the money we have and the lack of free agency left and the large amount of money we have in cap room next year, it might be better to keep richardson. If he plays a full year and plays well he'll gain value. we can franchise and trade him next off season or even keep him. If not we let him walk, get a comp pick that would be similar to the pick we would get now anyway (3rd or 4th rounder) and the 8 mil this season doesn't really matter much

10. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, I agree that if we're not gonna get much for him better to just keep him for the year BUT if we're playing him out of position again what does that accomplish? That's what drove his value down in the first place.
    I'm still hopeful mac is the guy but he REALLY mishandled the Richardson/Wilkerson/Harrison decision. Worse the more I think about it.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How is it better to keep him for the year? This is a rebuilding year. It's about developing the young players, not how many wins they can accumulate. What sense does it make to keep him and lose him next year for nothing? Even if it's not much, it's better to get something now, than nothing later. In addition, they would also gain $8 million in cap space for this season, which they need. He's also a negative in the locker room, and there's always the risk that he could do something stupid and get suspended for the season. As I said before, it makes zero sense imo to keep him.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

We don't need to save the $8 million this year so that's an irrelevant factor and better not drive the decision.

And we could get a 4th rounder next year at the deadline if we wanted to trade him so we are better off just holding onto him, hoping he has a great year, and trade him at the deadline to a desperate contender.

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We currently have $ 9 million in available cap space. Roughly $8.5 of that is needed for signing the draft class. That only counts the top 51 of 53 players so we have absolutely no cap space.
    Trading Richardson gains $ 8 million that we need.
    We can't trade down and add picks if we can't afford to sign them.
    Richardson would only net us a ౩ Rd round compensatory pick if we don't sign a comparable FA. next off season and that compensatory pick would come in 2019.
    If we can get a 4th this year and a higher pick next year , it makes no sense to keep him on the roster.

14. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

JB you're right we do have almost 10 mil in cap space which is enough to cover our draft selections plus as mentioned we could create lots of more space by cutting some of our guys in their final year of their contracts if we so choose ... wish we were in play for Zach Brown honestly and let David Harris go but it seems like he is headed to Miami or the Raiders.

As for Sheldon I'm indifferent if he stays or goes but come on at least play him at his best position ... maybe he could have a solid year and we could pick up a decent pick for next years draft ... though I'm not against trading him now for a 3rd rounder.

15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

How do we only have 9 million after all the people we cut ? I saw that somewhere else too.. does that money not go in affect until a certain date? Or next off-season? how does this work

16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I think Mo's first arrest disrupted the entire applecart. I think they were prepared to let Mo walk up until Sheldon went postal. Then Sheldon added insult to injury with his second offense and left Macc dangling. Bowles management of SR has been ludicrous. But Bowles is ludicrous, so....;

TonyFtLaud and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Without Wilkerson on Sunday, the Jets defense enjoyed perhaps their best game of the season. They held the Ravens to six yards rushing — a franchise record. And they picked off Joe Flacco twice. Meanwhile, Sheldon Richardson moved back to his natural position as a three-technique defensive end in Wilkerson’s absence and recorded his first solo sack of the 2016 season.

Watch this video breakdown of Richardson versus the Ravens by Bart Scott and Eric Allen. Bart Scott starts out saying, "I'm gonna make a case for Sheldon possibly being the best defensive player in the NFL."

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You make it sound like SR is 32 years old and past his prime. He's younger than Wilkerson , and in my opinion, has more upside. I think he's more than capable of returning to his old form if used correctly.

True that Bowles has to be held responsible and it is a BIG question mark whether he'll learn from the 2016 fiasco and straighten this mess out. But if they decide not to trade him they must use him the best way possible. They have to put him in a position where his talents make the most of it. If this is so and he winds up performing like he did his first 2 years, then the task to keep him or let him go makes it easier to deal with.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

It's not about Richardson's on-the-field upside. Nobody doubts he can be a top-tie player.
    It's his off-the field "issues" that are of concern. What good is his #1 performance is he's locked up for mowing a pedestrian while driving stoned?

TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We were close to 10 million over the cap to start the new season. We resigned some of our own, Ijalana ,Winters , signed Beachum, McCown, Claiborne, Josh Martin. Plus we have millions in dead money.
    There is a big difference between coming into the off season with cap space and creating cap space. Creating space creates holes that cost alot to fill.