TE Ben Utecht Visits Jets Thread - MERGED 3x

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AMJets, Mar 3, 2008.

1. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Ben Utecht visiting.....

Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News has learned that the Jets will be bringing in Colts tight end Ben Utecht for a visit. He is a restricted free agent.

The Colts tendered the lowest possible one-year contracts to Utecht, meaning if the Jets were to make him an offer and sign him, the Jets would not have to give up any picks in return for compensation because Utecht went undrafted.

Utecht was picked up by the Colts after going undrafted out of Minnesota in 2005. Over the past three seasons, Utecht played in 41 games, catching 71 passes for 800 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Could be a nice cheap pickup....... :grin: :up:

2. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

i?d really like that signing. He would be a good upgrade over Kowalewski. Solid Blocker and much more dangerous reciever.

3. GeorgeCoztanza

GeorgeCoztanza New Member

Yes, there's no bigger indictment of Pennington than Oakland accepting New England's offer of a fourth round pick for Randy Moss.:breakdance:

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I AGREE, I LOVE BAKER. HAS GREAT HANDS.DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY HE IS'NT USED MORE

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Utecht is an excellent blocking TE, the Colts used him a lot in goal line situations with success. I believe the questions about him are with his hands, although from what I have read he has made some excellent plays when he could hold onto the ball.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Colt TE Ben Utecht is visiting today

Colts TE Ben Utecht is making a stop to see Eric and Mike today. He looked good as a Colt, i wonder where he'd fit here seeing we have a talented pass catching TE... Can he block?

7. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Most likely in the same h-back spot as he was with the Colts. Don't forget that he is a restricted free agent, I highly doubt that we would give any more picks up (at least I hope so).

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He wasn't offered enough by the Colts...so we wouldn't have to give up any picks for him.

9. Carpetbagger

He wasn't not given any offer sheet at all? I was not aware of that.

10. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

having two TE's that can catch is a good thing to have...especially in the redzone...i would like to see 2 TE sets where the other guy can actually catch
    ...considering we kept 3 TE's (not counting dearth) last year i wouldn't be surprised if we tried to add him and a blocking TE...the best available is Brady, but he was injured at the end of last year and would miss the majority of the offseason...not sure who else is available

11. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

he was tendered, but as an undrafted FA...therefore they could match to keep him, but no compensation for not matching

12. Carpetbagger

Thank you for the clarification.

13. abyzmul

From what I have read about Utecht, he doesn't have very good hands.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the guy has stone hands....i would take a pass on him. Just pay Baker his money, he's a better receiver anyways.

15. abyzmul

We do have Baker and I don't think he's going anywhere, he's the first guy that Mangini praises most of the time. I think if we are looking at Utecht it is for goal line situations. And we certainly needs as much help as we can get there.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I understand your reasoning...believe me i do....but Utecht's hands are made of brick. I don't think I can handle watching all those potential TD's being dropped this season...it was tough enough watching JMac make a career of dropping TD's.

17. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

They might be bringing him in as a blocking TE, like Brady or Sean Ryan (who we lost to Dallas). And since they just signed Richardson to improve the run game, that wouldn't surprise me.

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

if Utecht is being brought in to block...then that would suffice...hopefully, the CS doesn't get any brave ideas, like throwing to this guy when the game is on the line.

19. lobacz87

lobacz87 New Member

whoa, first of all, he catches td passes from Peyton Manning, his hands are ok but thats not why he would be here...the Jets want ablocking TE, and he would do just that

20. ganggreen51

ganggreen51 New Member

i would love the singing...anything more to help the run game is always welcome...it definitly looks what the jets are aiming to do...good one two punch run game, play action passing and defense....i love it