Tankhaton 2019 - Where will Jets Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Dec 2, 2019.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Im not sold on Gase that much I agree with. BUT, After many, many years a Jets fan and NFL fan, I think the bold might be the overstatement of the year. Oh, how quickly we forget our own past and look no further than "never change the game plan" Bowles.
    This year this team will be remembered for doing a lot more with a hell of a lot less, so save your ammunition for when you can actually see the target..
    Bottom line. Mac ignoring the OL, WRs, and pass rusher during his entire tenure, yet taking a flier on a malcontent hugely over rated pass rusher with a third was the last nail in a dismal draft record. Gase gets a pass for the season and a big medal for getting rid of the useless GM.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Basically in order for us to become a true title contender and sustain it into the future we need our offensive guru to learn to make half-time adjustments. And we need a wr to pair with Anderson and Crowder. And we need an o line. And we need at leasy a CB1 (Austin may or may not be a CB2). We also need depth everywhere and our injured (Mosley, Herndon, Griffin, etc) and inconsistent players (Bell, Maye, etc) to step up or be replaced.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s just as much a pipe dream as filling all those holes at once. It isn’t happening, holes will open and close every year. A qb and a strong o line is the only way to be a consistent contender. The rest of the pieces have to be prioritize based on availability.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  4. J-Raw24

You can contend with one or two holes yes.. patriots haven't always had good players in a few of them but it can be covered up with coaching. Same goes for Pittsburgh and Seattle and every other team that has been able to contend regularly. Problem is we have more than a few holes that don't have at least decent players and questionable coaching.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sigh, why the strawman argument? No one said anything about filling all the holes at once except you. It isn't as black and white as you seem to see it. If someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean that they think the polar opposite, or the worst possible thing.

Yes, holes open and close every year, as they should. You don't want to have to replace or re-sign every player at one time. You want it staggered, and even if you don't, that's how it works out. The thing is once a team has their basic team and depth in place, then it's replacing or upgrading players and positions. It never stops. The Patriots are a prime example, but to an extreme. They've had Brady and Belichick, perhaps the greatest QB of all time, and one of, if not the best HC of all time. The only HC that I would put above Belichick is Lombardi. OL pieces have come and gone. Parcells might be close. With the Pats, WRs and TEs have come and gone, defenders have come and gone, yet they still win. They have had some players that were there for years and kept them at the top like Welker, Amendola, Edelman, Gostkowski, and Gronk, so it wasn't just Brady and Belichick.

Most teams don't have the luxury however of having an all-time great QB and HC at the same time. They can compete for a playoff spot, and on any given Sunday can beat any other team, but on any given Sunday, they can be beat as well. If they want to be top team and sustain that, they have to have more complete teams, stability and longevity of their best players.

Yes, in today's NFL the QB and strong OL will keep a team consistent contender. No one's arguing against that either, but most QBs can't do it all on their own. They have to have quality receiving targets and/or a strong rushing attack to help them.

BomberJet likes this.
  6. FJF

Most of our holes are on offense. The defense played at a playoff caliber level this year. An o line fixed most of that. Example

Even below average receivers get open if the line holds up.

7. FJF

The original post I quoted literally listed all the positions he felt we needed and how far away we were from contending

#47 FJF, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  8. NCJetsfan

I'm not so sure that it's such a big overstatement. Check out how few points we've scored in the 3rd Qtr. this year. You can watch about any national sports show or read any web site that talks about the Jets, and they're talking about how Gase is inflexible, makes almost no (or no) in-game adjustments, how he hasn't adapted his system to the players he has on hand, etc., and how many blowout losses he has had.

Now he's saying he doesn't give a shit about the fans because he's rich as fuck.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Yes but in the response where you spoke about all the holes, you quoted me. He obviously meant being a serious contender for the Lombardi Trophy, not just a playoff contender.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  10. FJF

I took it as playoff contender. Once you’re in anything can happen, see us 2009-2010.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  11. J-Raw24

So an o line will fix the fact that with Gases game plan we have score in the top half the league in the first half of games but in the bottom 5 in the last half. It will fix that aside from our strong safety we have generated pressure and sacked the qb in the bottom 10... it will fix that our corner group is in the bottom 10 in the league. It will fix that our kicker has games where he is lights out like the steelers game and game he's trash like well almost every other game. It will fix that we cab only count on our tight ends in most red zone situations because the other receivers aren't great at 50/50 balls. No. We need o line. I agree. But it won't make us a consistent lombardi contender.

12. FJF

Fix the game plan? Yes. Because the runs would work, Sam would have time, the offense would function efficiently. Too many people out to much emphasis on the play design, execution, to me is much more important. The best offense I’ve seen from the jets was when everyone in the stadium knew Curtis Martin was coming on the toss sweep and there was nothing they could do about it.
    The o line will fix most of the offensive woes, nothing is ever going to fix them all, not in a cap league. And the d can play at a playoff level. If your waiting for the 84 9ers or the 90s cowboy teams to say we can compete you are going to be a while. Those days are gone. You want to be a consistent contender it starts with being a playoff contender and that starts with an o line. From there anything can happen.

13. J-Raw24

Its not just on o line. Thats the part you don't seem to get... that defense can't play at a playoff level. It can stop the run... other team can pass on us all day. We have no pass rush and no secondary. Austin might be a good number 1. Maye might step up as be a free safety.. what about the other team wr1? No one to cover them. Poole is a FA but nickel is generally easy to fill. But Maye hasn't become some kind of all star and neither has Austin.. the only place they are strong o d is vs the run... this is a pass heavy league.

And no as for the coaching being able to adjust your game plan is very important. Outside of scoring on our first drive our offense is generally atrocious. Yes that starts with the line, but it also includes game planning, adjustment, wr1, and healthy te... and Martin was good because he had chrebet, keyshawn... wide receivers that did their job. And if you watch those game they did adjustments... they didn't run the same 20 plays non stop.

#53 J-Raw24, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I agree that you can't have it all in a league with a hard cap. It comes down to having a plan on how to build the team and which positions to prioritize. The 3 most important things are to have a QB, protect the QB, and knock down the opposing QB. We hopefully have the first. The second has been criminally neglected for years. The last is something we haven't done consistently since Abraham left. It seems like Douglas is aware about the need to address the OL, so protection for Sam should be better next year. The pass rush may or may not get better depending on how it's addressed in the offseason. I want at least one FA signing or draft pick to go towards the pass rush. This is where not taking Allen hurts us. Now, because the OL needs a facelift, edge will have to take a backseat and might not be adequately addressed in the offseason.

After those 3, the next biggest priorities should be having playmakers at the skill positions and CB's who can avoid getting burnt on a consistent basis. We have a decent set of skill position players when healthy, but no one who's elite as of now. I'd like a #1 WR for Sam and there are many good WR prospects in the upcoming draft. We'll need to add a RB with Powell and Montgomery being FA's after the season. As for CB's, our depth at the position is not good beyond Poole and Austin. I'd like to sign a FA and use a middle round pick on one.

In short, my priorities for building the team are:
    1. QB
    2. OL
    3. Edge
    4. CB
    5. Skill positions

4 and 5 are interchangeable.

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I basically agree with this, but I would put skill positions at #3. We can be competitive and a playoff contender by trying to outscore everyone, and we shouldn't leave this draft without a #1 WR prospect for Sam. Ultimately we need the Edge, so it is #4, but since this is such a great draft for WRs, imo it needs to take priority over edge. If we can mostly fix the OL and offense this offseason, then next season we would be free to focus on Edge and finishing the OL. I agree that we can fix the CB position in FA with at least one signing, maybe two, depending upon who is available, cost, how many OL we sign in FA, and how much cap space we have, and if need be by drafting one in a middle round.

As you said, we will need a RB. I think someone like Dillon could fit the bill quite nicely.

16. NCJetsfan

Nickel CB easy to fill? Hardly. The Jets have failed drafting one and failed signing one in FA. Until Poole, we had not had good coverage in the slot in forever.

17. J-Raw24

Ok the jets have a hard time filling the role, most teams don't . Most team can find an average nickel. Great nickels are harder to find but still. The fact the Jets can't find anyone that isn't a penalty magnet or injury prone, or just plain horrible pretty much sums up the Jets finding people at most positions.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He Scripts the first set a plays and gets a TD or a FG..after that he sh*ts the bed with an inability to make ingame adjustments like Bellichek and a list of other better Coaches

Gates was lucky against the Steelers keeping it conservative...an improvement but I am far from sold on him to win against the Toughies in NFL

There is talent out there on the Jets and they win despite Gase..plus he has Greg Williams

Will this get better or worse when Douglas helps us Reload for next year? ..I have no idea

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. J-Raw24

He stuck to the same plan through the whole game against Pit too. He just played conservative. He never adjusts. Basically he's just an offensive Todd Bowles. Though he hasn't had as much blown time outs. Not something that will win us a Lombardi.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I have to agree on the bolded part. This is a franchise once coached by the likes of Winner, Walton, Coslet, Kotitie, Edwards, and Bowles.....all of whom had a special knack for either blowing the second half of the year or blowing huge second half leads...… especially Coslet and Kotite.

LAJet likes this.