TANKATHON - Jets & Jaguars Tank Bowl (What to Root for)

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Brook!, Sep 27, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets couldn't even Suck for Sam right. They ended up with the 6th pick, traded up to #3, miraculously Sam falls to them at #3, and how to they handle this miracle they were given? RUIN his career. That is the Jets in a nutshell.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Or maybe it's looking more and more like Sam isn't a miracle worker and the Jets should've stood pat where they were with all of that draft capital and took either Darnold or Allen. Seems sort of obvious now that we were the only undisciplined team dying to move up to get him (or either of them).

That's pure hindsight though - I thought it was a good move to go up and get him and/or the remainder of Rosen/Allen/Darnold.

But I think Lawrence seems like more of a franchise changer than Sam is or could be.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fans need to get it out of their head that they are choosing between Sam or Lawrence because that is not the case. If the Jets somehow are so terrible they do get the #1 pick, Lawrence will be the pick and they will move on from Sam. That's life. I just find it highly unlikely that happens, despite the fact that the Jets are clearly horrendous. They just always find a way to win a couple games and ruin the chance at getting the top pick. Plus I do feel Sam is talented enough to win a couple games on his own. If I am wrong, then Lawrence is the no-brainer move.

BudJet likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's what I posted in the Adama Gase thread:

I don't think their plan is to draft Lawrence, even if they get the #1 pick. I think if they do they'll trade it for a mountain of picks. And I think Gase will be staying as HC. And I further think that if Darnold can't adapt to Gases' "genius offense", that he'll be out of a job - at least with the Jets.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem is that he just lost the most winnable game on the schedule at home and had the opportunity to win it at the end of the game and didn't.

Peyton was 38-10 in his first three years with Denver and threw 131 touchdowns to 32 picks on 68% completion percentage. He was phenomenal with Denver until his last year when the neck injury forced his arm to hang off his body. He was an All-Pro his first two years. I'm not really sure what you're talking about in him being a shell of his former self.

Whether Sam's a good fit for the offense or not doesn't negate the fact that he can't throw slants and refuses to throw deep ins. Those routes are apart of every offensive system since the WCO was invented.

NYJetsO12 and grkmanga31 like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

4 games in to his first draft and his first pick looks to be a straight stud. Isn’t it a bit early for this post?

7. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Darnold is too good a QB to win zero games

Even with the turdburglariest WRs in the league

They should win at least 2 games, possibly 3

Going 0-16 is a very, very, very rare thing and the Jets aren’t that crappy

Not with Darnold at the helm

Now if he misses 4-6 games with injuries, then 1-2 wins is possible

Black and white thinking isn’t a viable predictive tool

Sam has shown too much promise over his 1st 2 seasons to give up on him prematurely

Trevor might not even be available

For those looking past Darnold, Trey Lance is a very intriguing prospect to keep an eye on, too...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4383351/trey-lance

BomberJet likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You say "Black and white thinking isn't a viable predictive tool," yet that's what you're doing in saying that Darnold is too good for the team to go winless. You're looking at it in a vacuum. You fail to take into consideration how Sam is getting worse, not better. You also fail to take into consideration the Jets' schedule. Who are they going to beat? They aren't going to beat KC, NE, Buffalo, Seattle, Miami, Cleveland or the Chargers. The only games in which they have any chance are versus the Cardinals, Raiders and Rams, and all of those teams are much better, better-coached, and have superior talent. I don't think we could beat the Browns' or Patriots' backups.

#88 NCJetsfan, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

"Sam has shown too much promise over his first two seasons"

How? He's below league average in YPA, TD's, completion % and way above league average in turnovers over that time period. He's been Jameis Winston without the yardage/TD upside. He has a 5% lower career completion percentage than Mitch Trubisky and more turnovers in less games than Mitch. Sam is not good. In fact that's being too kind. He's bad.

10. NCJetsfan

You're probably correct, as that would go in line with the Jets' luck and what's normal for them. That said, SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

The Giants play Washington twice so could have at least one, if not two wins. They also have the Eagles twice and the Eagles haven't exactly been very good this year, so the Giants could conceivably even beat the Eagles. Over the next 5 weeks, the Falcons play the Panthers, Vikings, Lions, Panthers, and Broncos. They could win all 5 of those games or at least a couple of them. They also play the Raiders.

We have the best shot to go winless. If there's anything the Jets know how to do, it's play badly and lose. Of course, the one thing they do better is win when they shouldn't. Sigh

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Cardinals
    Chargers
    Bills
    Chiefs
    Patriots
    Dolphins
    Dolphins
    Raiders
    Seahawks
    Rams
    Browns
    Patriots

Which 2 or 3 of these can the Jets win?

12. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree with not wanting Lawrence. He's a generational QB prospect, he's a leader, he's big, strong, mobile and can run with the ball. With the names you cited, you just show how even the "experts" can fool themselves. I never thought Trubisky or Rosen would amount to anything. I was wrong about Jackson, but in my favor I didn't count on the Ravens designing their offense to what Jackson does best and building around him. I think if he'd have gone to a team with a lesser OL and who had a HC like Gase, he might already be seriously injured or ruined.

I believe that if the Jets get the 1st pick and take Lawrence, Douglas will build around him. He will add offensive skill position players and finish the OL rebuild, and if given his choice, he will hire a coach who will adapt his system to what Lawrence does well rather than one who tries to force a square peg into a round hole.

REVISion and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

We aren't going to drop that far because there won't be that many no win or 1-win teams. At worst we'd be picking #3 or #4.

14. NCJetsfan

I sure hope that you're wrong, but unfortunately, my experience with the Jets and my gut tell me that you're right. They'll either win a game or two, which will be enough to cost them either Lawrence, Sewell, Chase or Fields and a bevy of draft picks. Gase will still be the HC.

If that happens, they will make it easy on me to say enough is enough. I will simply cease being a Jets fan and will become a full time Packers fan.

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The Texans have a better roster than the Jets and a weaker schedule, but they are in massive disarray.
    They are the biggest threat to the top pick because they hold the strength of schedule advantage.

But their first pick belongs to Miami. With Tua in place, they likely won't go for Lawrence, but will trade for a haul. Thus securing the Jets position as division doormat for a while longer...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I could see Sam making a comeback somewhere else with a good coaching staff. Although they would have to reverse the psychological damage done from horrible coaching. I really like Darnold and I hope he has a great career, either with the Jets or with another team.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

One of these dumbass accounts is bad enough, I can't take two of them. :mad::mad::mad:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The biggest factor in the decision to choose Lawrence is the fact that he will be starting off fresh in a 5 year contract where as Sam will be in year 4. The only bad thing is Lawrence will deservingly be the highest payed QB in 4 to 5 years.:) Johnsons may have to raise the price of their baby powder to pay him.:p

#98 BudJet, Oct 6, 2020
    The Dark Knight and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Texans are behind the Jets in strength of schedule. Jets 609 Texans 648 strength of schedule. If Jets & Texans have the same record the Jets would pick first. http://www.tankathon.com/nfl is a great sight if your checking out draft stats. As of now 10/6/20, the Jets pick #3 behind Giants & Falcons.

#99 BudJet, Oct 6, 2020
  20. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The OP is correct.
    People were saying the same thing about Miami last year.
    The jets will win a couple of games, just like the other nine or ten horrible teams right now will find a way to win a couple of games.
    This isn't a video game. Players get hurt ... refs blow calls ... someone has a monster game out of nowhere ... decent teams just come out and shit the bed for whatever reason. These things happen all the time in sports.

Ever been in a knockout pool? If it was predictable, nobody would get knocked out.