TANKATHON - Jets & Jaguars Tank Bowl (What to Root for)

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Brook!, Sep 27, 2020.

1. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

I totally agree with your logic... makes perfect sense.. here’s the fly in the ointment do you think the Johnson brothers would hire the right coach? Because nothing they’ve done leads me to believe that they would.. I truly hope you’re right I’d like to see them win before I die

2. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The 'Football Team' and Giants have the misfortune of playing in a dumpster fire of a division so it's not unlikely they can split wins along the way in the same way the ex-skins are already off the mark after their week 1 against the Eagles.

I can see our only chances coming against the wounded Bronco's, Herbert possibly showing rookie traits and maybe a Fitztragic or two. Everything else looks like a blow out in waiting.

3. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but a big deal for the Jets moving forward will be the strength of schedule. The NFC Least is so bad, they are sure to have any tiebreaker as far as draft position goes. If Jets want the #1, they need to lose them all.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

#dontfiregaseuntilnumberonepicklockedup

grkmanga31 and Rockinz like this.
  5. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

General consensus seems to be yes. But remember, Darnold was ranked highly too. I think the important lesson here is that one man can’t do it alone. Wether we roll w/TL or Sammy D, significant and IMMEDIATE help is needed.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

About 1 out of every 4 highly rated college QBs pan out into genuine franchise leaders. The one factor that has increased a rookie QBs success the last decade is mobility and the ability to run for yards. In other words - speed. Even during the Darnold draft the only two QBs that have distinguished themselves are the two could also run the ball.

My point is the chance of picking up a FQB with the top pick is much less then with a later pick. Too much pressure comes with top QB picks and usually effects their development. If everyone in the draft is focused on one guy - I don't want him. Just look at the last 20 years.

Trubisky was taken before Watson and Mahomes.
    Mayfield, Rosen, and Darnold were taken before Jackson.
    Alex Smith was taken before Aaron Rodgers.
    Everyone was taken before Tom Brady.

I'd rather have a balanced team to put a decent QB into then ruin a top pick with the mess we have now. If we take the top rated college QB in next years draft the odds of him busting with us seems pretty dang high. Unless he is a good runner.

That my two cents.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Come on Brook. Can't even spell Tankathon.

Brook! likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Redskins front 4 alone will get them a couple more wins. They also have a decent offensive line and a couple good skill players. That should be a 5 win team especially with the way Rivera coaches.

9. NYJalltheway

It's sad it's even come to this.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like running QBs or at least QBs with the ability to run and pick up 1st downs with their feet, so my disagreement isn't with that. My disagreement is your automatically assuming that Douglas would ruin Lawrence. That's absurd. Douglas has already shown that he's going to fix the OL. He's not going to be stupid enough to not put quality weapons around Lawrence and cause him to fail. Also, Lawrence isn't Sam or Sanchez. Neither of the latter two were generational QB prospects. Neither were strong leaders and as charasmatic as Lawrence is. I believe Lawrence is thicker and mentally tougher than Sam. Sam is too California laid back. He'd undoubtedly have been much better off playing for a team on the left coast or anywhere outside of the NE, and where there was more stability in the organization, a better OL, better weapons, and better coaching.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  11. NYJalltheway

I can't like this post enough. I love Sam, but I'm rooting for Trevor to get here.

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Lose for Lawrence?

If the Jets could Suck for Sam, they can Lose for Lawrence!

#73 dmw, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Strength of schedule (SOS) is going to screw the Jets tank. Those rooting for it are going to get the worst of both worlds: watching the Jets lose and watching them get the #5 pick again.

15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Giants will win a few vs Eagles, Skins, etc. That division stinks.

Texans play Jags and a few other winnable games too.

No Fly Zone and grkmanga31 like this.
  16. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for a while as well. If we win 1 game, we could drop all the way to the 12 pick!!!! Can you imagine picking in the middle of the first round with this team???

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The Falcons are much better than their record too. Why did they try to establish the run inside the 10 yd line last night a number of times when they have arguably 2 of the top 10 receivers in the league and a top TE? The play-calling doesn't match their talent. At some point their OC will take his head out of his ass and see the light and they'll win 5-6 games.

imho....

In the AFC it's only Denver to be concerned with, Hou and Cinn will win there share of games.

In the NFC it's only the Giants to be concerned with, possibly Wash. Other than games against Wash I don't see a winnable game. Wash already has 1 win and likely could split with the Giants so that gives them 2 wins, maybe a 3rd against the Lions but that's it. Ideally the Giants beat Wash 2x and Wash beats Det giving both 2 wins. Now the Jets just need to lose 1 against the fish and they could be right there getting the #1 pick...

But it would be so Jets to wind up with 2 wins and tie the Giants and Wash and wind up with the 3rd overall pick.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Tie breaker will kill us...we have a tough strength of schedule...it’s a valid concern

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

predicting QBs is hard....very few can’t miss prospects because football is such a team game

I think something else is who picks you...teams picking at the top are there for a reason...they suck, and in many cases they suck consistently, and over a long period of time, despite having the top picks year in and year out. The draft is set up to generate parity, but it doesn’t impact ownership and coaching, which is so important as a determinant of success or failure, and is why the bad teams continue to suck year in and year out and continue to pick at the top of the draft...picking at the top doesn’t help them (like us) because it doesn’t address the fundamental problem...bad ownership making horrendous decisions on GMs, coaches, scouting, etc.

So far, Jackson has been the most successful QB from that class...but he went to literally the perfect team...a great well run organization with an outstanding coach who understands how to utilize the talents of his players. I don’t think there’s ANYBODY who would think he would be having the same success had we drafted him. We consistently hire shit coaches who do the exact opposite of tailoring their schemes to fit the players. We would have ruined Jackson just like we are ruining Darnold. Maybe he’d do a bit better than Darnold because he’s better suited to run for his life behind one of the worst OLs in the league, but he’d be nowhere near what he is today.

I don’t know enough about Lawrence to say if he is generational or not, like a can’t miss Manning or Luck...after all, he does play at a powerhouse school that is loaded at most every position...but if we do get the top pick, I don’t see how you can pass on him. We have to keep drafting QBs (And keep hiring HCs) until we hit that sweet spot of the right QB with the right coach.

For me, I still have hope for Darnold, but Gase is a waste...he should never have been hired in the first place and he’s done absolutely nothing to prove otherwise. But if Darnold keeps playing the way he’s been, missing open guys, stumbling in the pocket, then I can’t see passing on Lawrence either. Shit, even if he plays well, I’d STILL draft Lawrence...having two good QBs is a nice problem to have and can be turned into more picks.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head with "The draft is set up to generate parity, but it doesn’t impact ownership and coaching, which is so important as a determinant of success or failure". If the NFL really wanted parity, and had balls, it would adopt a rule that any team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 10 years, or to the SB in 20, must be sold to new ownership. Ownership should entail some responsibility to the loyal fans who support the team. After all, the owners are making money hand over fist directly because of the fans, and yet, like the Jets, these owners don't give a shit, nor do they have to. But if they had to deliver a winning team occasionally or forfeit their keys to the money making machine, they'd at least try.

Short of that delusional pipe dream, the Johnsons need to hire a legitimate Pres. of Football Ops (or whatever title you want to adopt) to run the team and keep their ignorant hands off of it. Maybe Douglas can be that guy as the GM, it's too soon to say, but they need somebody from a long-winning organization to come in and create that same culture of winning for the Jets. And it has to be someone who knows every facet of team building. I'd look at the Steelers, Ravens, Packers as three teams with long, historical success.

In reality though, I expect nothing to change, and I'll have to make a decision myself on whether to continue the delusion of hoping this team can ever be successful.