Tank? How Does that Work?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Jun 6, 2017.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

In bad weather Wyoming that is Joe Montana range lol. We could take Rosen from UCLA too. The Jets will have their choice of all 5. But if they pass on Darnold they will hear for decades. Just as they heard when they took Kyle Brady instead of Warren Sapp.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Oh by the way Hackenberg last year completion percentage at Penn States was 53.5%.

3. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I have no real idea on what the final results will be. From 0-16 to 16-0. Anything can happen. I will still watch every game and try to get handle on the abilities of ALL the players. That's one thing that keeps me from becoming a full time darksider. I'll be watching the QB play, the OL and all the defensive players. Also the play calling of Morton, the flubs and flashes (if any) from our HC. If nothing else, it will be interesting.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes it was.

But let's not forget to bring up the types of situations in which Hackenberg were Quarterbacking under (while mentioning his completion percentage).

PSU (as you should already know) was being sanctioned & punished by the NCAA; meaning that Hack was playing under some less than ideal (shitty) situations.

Hackenberg was also left without a true #1 WR once Allen Robinson left after Hack's Freshman year. But when Hack did have a true #1 WR, they both flourished together ala Allen Robinson putting up 97 receptions, 1,432 receiving yards and 6 TD receptions with a Freshman in Hackenberg as his QB (i would love to see a 6'3 Allen Robinson leave the Jaguars and become a 2018 FA in order to reunite with his PSU QB in Hack as a Jet).

Anyone who knows anything about college football not only knows but also understands that PSU's offensive line was one of (if not) the very worst within all of Division 1 football. Poor kid got beat the fk up behind his lackluster O-Line.

I'm sorry but no college kid QB would have been able to impress with "completion percentage" & "accuracy" behind an awful PSU O-Line in which could not hold their own within pass protection.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

It doesn't. And it shouldn't.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I think I have figured this one out. Tanking is what happens when you go to see your friend's cover band expecting it to be bad.... and then this happens.

#46 pdxdrew, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Pags2112 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think I saw that band when I was in Thailand. Sounds just like them.

8. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Very well put Tony! IMO, you are on a freakin role!!!

But hey watch it .. your stepping on my toes as I thought I was a shoe in for "The Gang Greens' 2017 Mr. Optimistic"

Tanny might not be the GM, but it smells like Tanny, not fish down there!

Anyway .. the process has now officially started with the parting of Harris and soon Decker as well. As you mentioned, in the past we didn't see out the rebuilding process and what a slap in the face it would be if we did it again! I have faith that it will not happen this time. I think this was in the making from the day Maccagnan was hired as he comes from a scouting background but Woody just HAD to try the competitive rebuild one last time ... and to no avail. I believe someone finally passed him the dictionary with a bookmark in it. The bookmark lead to a highlighted word --> insanity!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Wow was that weird :: are they Finnish? Reminds me of bands like -- HIM, Nightwish, Amorphis .. dunno why.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Which games do you believe the Browns could have won but chose not to?

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Do you actually believe that the NFL no longer cares about what has long been called "The Integrity of the Game?"

12. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

No team is going to trade for Sheldon Richardson and pay him eight million dollars for a one year rental . I wonder if at some point the Jets come to the that conclusion , and offer to restructure his contract.( Richardson isn't taken one penny less)

Let's say they give him two million up front in signing bonus , and 6 million plus is his salary on the books.( the amount a trading team has to pay). So if the Jets trade him they get charged 2 million ( signing bonus) while get 6 plus million in cap savings. ( means the Jets can roll over 6.plus million to 2018 cap. ( 90 plus million salary cap space for 2018.

The Jets aren't getting any compensatory pick if they let Sheldon Richardson walk after this year.( going to spend too much in Fa to qualify ). This way they can get a 4 or fifth round pick, more cap space, and get a cancer out of the locker room

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just because you think your thought is original doesn't mean it needs it's own thread. There are numerous "tank" threads, at least 4 on the 1st page, and numerous Richardson threads.

The board is getting hard enough to read already without having a new thread every time someone thinks they have an original thought when it is in fact something that has been posted about numerous times but numerous people.

14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I'm starting a best memories of Sheldon Richardson thread.

K'OB and FJF like this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yea but the bold text changes everything

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, no team will trade for Richardson for a one-year rental, but they can renegotiate a long-term contract. As you point out, the Jets could do that too, to try to help increase the chances that Richardson is traded (and that's a good point), but I don't think that's the only way that a Richardson trade could get done.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It'll be a very short thread.

18. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

This is more a Sheldon Richardson post, than a tank thread post. All about trying to get rid of a player the Jets don't want around. They just made mistake of guaranteeing his contract that pays 8 million , thinking they were going to be able to trade him.( See how effective that worked with Muhammad Wilkerson).

My idea is instead of eating 8 million ( by keep a guy they don't want around) they recoup 6 million cap savings. ( by making his salary more condusive to a team looking to make a deal.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

The plan should be play him at his original position full time and reap the benefits of it, hoping he earns a long term contract in NYJ to continue to be one of the best DE's in football.

20. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I have advocated this approach multiple times. In essence, you are buying a draft pick or a better draft pick by paying some of the money in a bonus before trading the player. Teams like Dallas are very tight on the cap and might give more if they pay less. The same could be done for Decker, who has no guaranteed money on the remaining two years of his deal. Give him some in bonus, drop the acquiring teams cap charge, get a better pick or a pick. For Sheldon, with one year remaining, you may have to bonus 6 million.