Tangini Got Sucker-Punched in RD 3 ~ Merged

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matty Jets, May 2, 2006.

1. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I really wonder if the Jets asked the Eagles to not take Gocong and then they did anyway, thats the only thing that irks me, we will never find out anyway because it would make the FO look stupid, I would have liked him but I am still happy with the boar hunter, would have been nice to have both though

2. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

you dont ask another team not to take a player.

3. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

No, but you do ask who they're targeting...I saw it 1st hand a few years ago with the Vikings/Phins when Miami wanted to trade up to get Vernon Carey...

Tice asked if they were sure Miami wanted him(I assume so they wouldn't pick Kenechi Udeze) and Miami said Carey...The pick was Carey and the Minnesota war-room were clapping and happy since Miami kept their word.

Now, could this be Andy Reid/Joe Banner just pulling a fast one on the young Jets FO? Maybe now Tangini won't ever deal with Philly if they said like "We're targeting Jason Spitz." and they end up picking Gocong, pretty much bullshitting the Jets...

4. MParty7441

well of course, but the only way I would trust another team would be making it part of the trade. This for this, but you dont take this player.

5. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

thats what I meant, but not quite at that degree, I was also thinking of the Vernon Carey situation

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Or, just do what Tangini did a few times throughout the weekend, trade with Parcells since you can pretty much trust him...I just think Reid took advantage of an inexperienced team, which happens and the draft still turned out good.

Reid could of made it part of the trade, we're not drafting Gocong...But he can still do it anyway, it's not like lying will cost him anything except losing a draft partner possibly down the road...

7. MParty7441

No, I mean like that if he takes the certain player, the trade is void. Since every trade needs to be signed off on, you can make that part of the trade.

8. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I doubt that'd ever happen in any sport...Once a trade happens, then it sticks, no stipulationis gonna void a trade or anything like that...

All in all, just trade with teams you can pretty much trust...

9. MParty7441

so no trading with the Eagles anymore!

10. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

:beer: Exactly. Unless they give an absolute can't pass offer.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

We got a wild boar hunter and Titties Adams out of the deal so I think it was more than a fair trade.

Besides, what good is Gocong when we have the Bryan Thomas Experiment Part 2 taking place?

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I am amazed. How are any of you in position to make comments on Gocong's ability? He played at a Division 1-AA school. Unless the people here on the Gocong bandwagon sat in the stands and saw him play at Cal-Poly, I don't see how you could possibly get upset about the Jets bypassing him.

13. ChuckkieB

ChuckkieB Member

Jets fans are funny that way. :breakdance:

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Check out Tuesday Morning Quarterback on espn.com on Page 2. Gregg Easterbrook mentions the CLE-BAL trade where Baltimore essentially asked Cleveland not to draft Ngata.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Philly also grabbed My Man Giles, at 99. :mad:

16. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

BUT, if you feel that way about 3rd rounders then the Jets should have had the 15th pick in the Abe deal instead of 29....

17. Buttle

Buttle New Member

A couple of points I didn't see brought up in thsi thread is:

1. The Jets got terrible Value for trading the pick. The Eagles took major advanatage of us in only giving us a 7th round pick for moving 5 spots from 71 to 76. We should have gotten a late 5th or early 6th round pick or a late 6th and 7th. It would be one thing to lose Gocong if we got good value for the trade. But when you get taken advanatage of in the trade and lose him it hurts even more.
    2. Not having any idea that Gocong would be taken seems to add more evidence that Jet FO had no idea when and where other players would be taken. Their lack of scouting expereince, overall experience, connections with NFL people, and lack of football people in the FO probably played a large role in not having inteligence or information as what players otehr teams were targetting and when.

18. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

I mean I do not know but, I HIGHLY DOUBT that the jets got SUCKER PUNCHED. These guys are so well organized and prepared that just does not sound like they would have let that happen. I think they liked CONG but had Shlegel and CONG the same and figure hey lets get an extra 7th and take Schlegel.

PS I have read before that Cong said he did not talk to the Jets on draft day.

19. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

I think people just look for things to be upset about. I mean I bet they look at our draft and wow this is too good to be true. People all over the place from media to other teams are saying we did good, I mean we are the JEts. Then they start too look for things to get upset about. This is a new era guys embrace it.

20. Buttle

Buttle New Member

The media generally never looks past the 2nd round of a draft and its in the 3rd round and up where the Jets failed miserably. Generally if a team has multiple high picks they always get a high grade by the media. Looking at the failings of picks no one has ever heard except die hard football geeksdoes not sell papers. Rather the media focus will always be top heavy and concentrated amost exclusively on the first round and to a lesser extent the 2nd round or any picks of QB's.