Tangini Got Sucker-Punched in RD 3 ~ Merged

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matty Jets, May 2, 2006.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Yeah this is unfortunate. I had a feeling this is the guy they wanted and tried to get cute and get an extra pick. Not worth a 7th round pick to risk losing the guy you want. I think they could have gotten schlagel with the later 3rd round pick as well.

2. Youth Is Served

Youth Is Served New Member

Im glad to read this post out before I went and wrote it out myself. I feel the same exact way here Jabba. We were having a brillant first day with Brick, Mangold and getting the guy we wanted in round 2 (Clemens) while gettin another 2nd rounder for next year. This is where you are right and Tangini did get too cute thinking they could just snag an extra 7th rounder while letting their guy drop right into their hands.

Then the panic button was hit. It is exaplined perfectly by the fact of why we only added a 7th rounder into the trade and why Schmegel and Smith were picked way ahead of projection. They were rebound picks. They tried making the first round perfect and it backfired. Im actually angry about trading down 5 spots for just a 7th rounder while letting the guy you want and need pass us by.

They did recoever nicely on Day 2. But as said before I think this is the perfect reasoing to what happened in Round 3. We should have had Gocong on this team and being a huge steal in the draft. I only wish we were contacting the Eagles about him still. And making up for our little draft blunder.

Youth?

3. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Warrior, Gil Brandt {architect of doomsday} ranked Gocong ahead of the Giants 1st RD Pick, Mathias Kiwanuka

And here's what the Eagles VP of Player Personnel had to say about Gocong

"He was still on the board and was by far the highest-rated guy there. We're going to play him at linebacker, but we thought we may have a need at 'Sam' (strong-side) linebacker and also with someone to help us as a pass rusher.

He was so highly rated that we thought we had to go up and get up and try to get him. We did not think he was going to be there at our pick, so we said, 'We'd hate to sit there and lose him,' because he was sticking out like a sore thumb on our board."

So they traded up from 76 to 71 with the Jets :sad:

#43 Jabba the Jet, May 2, 2006
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  4. Anarcho Fukayama

Anarcho Fukayama New Member

If Gocong was the guy they were targetting, and they lost out on him for whatever reason, then I'm slightly disappointed. I don't mind if they "got too cute" or if Philly just pulled one over on them. That makes no difference to me. The thing that does upset me is the fact that if you go over to the Eagles' message boards, most of them hate the pick and absolutely ripped the guy apart, even going so far as to insult him personally (calling him Cockgone). They don't even appreciate the guy that apparently a lot of people on this board were dying to get.

But if it makes you feel any better, according to the stuff I've read (and seen) on some of the message boards, Gocong has stated that he has NEVER dropped into coverage. Don't know how much of a problem that could pose for an OLB, but hey. Also, if you watch some highlight videos of him, while he does look like a great player (great vision, good speed, nose for the ball), most of the sacks he gets are because absolutely no one blocks him, or he stunts. So don't be fooled by just the numbers. If Bryan Thomas went unblocked to a QB or untouched up the middle on a stunt, especially against lower quality competition, he'd probably have 40 something sacks in 20 some odd games too.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hahahahaha, "Cockgone", hahahahahaha!

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

HAW HAW HAW! Where did he go, Bangkok? And, how did he go? Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?!

7. Azrael

Azrael New Member

Jets | Team might have traded away Gocong

Jets | Team might have traded away Gocong
    Tue, 2 May 2006 11:55:16 -0700

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets might have committed a gaffe when they traded their No. 71 overall draft selection to the Philadelphia Eagles for their No. 76 selection and a seventh-rounder. The Eagles picked DL Chris Gocong with the selection, after showing no pre-draft interest in him. The Jets had visited with the swift defensive end and might have been considering picking him. Gocong said, "I was talking to my agent and we actually expected the Jets to draft us with the 71st pick, but we didn't really know if it was going to happen."

http://kffl.com/player/13603/nfl

How was this allowed to happen?

8. Bomber

Bomber New Member

We've had this post before.....if it was a gaffe, it happens. The draft is not controllable in the way you seem to be inferring it is by saying: "how was this allowed to happen?" The draft is a bit like the stock market.....you can't predict beforehand what will happen, but if you do your research you should get a hit 7 times out of 10. If Gocong was on the radar for the Jets, I assume that is exactly what happened: he was a miss because noone has a crystal ball. If the Jets f'ed up it was completely unintentional.....they proved their research and mettle elsewhere in the draft.

In other words, stop whinging and nitpicking and celebrate a fantastic draft for us.

9. Azrael

Azrael New Member

I think it was a good draft for the Jets, I think they could have done with a replacement for Abraham and Gocong would have been a step towards that. That said they managed to plug some pretty huge holes in the the O line which should help prevent Pennington for going for a third sugrery. But the Abraham question remains......who is going to plug the gap left by his exit?

10. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Don't know who we should sign as the FA market in DEs is not that deep , possibly look to converting an OLB. I would like to think that Bryan Thomas could fill that role , but I have never seen him play in a 34.

11. Azrael

Azrael New Member

Actually i think that you will find that most of the Eagles fans have done a little research (the Eagles put some video footage on their website) and most are raving about him. And they are also gloating in their one-up-manship over the Jets. So far they are 2-0 over the Jets this offseason what with the Runyan resigning (after he decided against going to the Jets, mainly because of the distance) and now the Gocong signing. At least the Jets play them in the now annual pre-season game, an oppurtunity of some payback, although I suspect it will all be forgotten by then.

12. Azrael

Azrael New Member

By the way. must make an apology for starting a new thread on this matter. I was unaware that the other thread pertained to this issue.

13. Bomber

Bomber New Member

Fair enough....didn't mean to jump down your throat but there have been several posters whose allegiances seem to lie elsewhere who have brought up this matter, as well as a few other percieved mistakes we made in the draft.

We had a great draft all things considering.

14. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

That's loser talk. You don't trade a pick to grab a 7th rounder when the player you want is there. STUPID mistake, not a rookie mistake. We came out of this draft without one pass rusher because of it.

15. Bomber

Bomber New Member

Great, and according to your previous posts we would have walked away with a less than premier O line if you were GM....plus a flakey Hollywood style QB who has trouble tossing salad in a slight zephyr let alone a footy into the howling gale that he'd get if he were playing in the Meadowlands in the depths of Winter.

Yes, we are going to struggle against the pass this year: take Abraham out of the equation and that is what will happen. I think defensively, to be honest, we are going to struggle full stop; but that is the cost of having to totally refit the offense and in particular the offensive line.

We may not have plugged that particular hole, but we plugged a couple of other yawning gaps in our roster. True, there will be negligble pressure on opposition QB's from us this season....that is the cost of having to not only refit your offensive front line, but also of having to wait until the late rounds to pick up the dregs from what was a defensive oriented outlook draftwise from the other franchises.

We have no pass rush, or more to the point any pass rush that will affect our opposition in any material way....but without this draft we would be without a lot of things. Count our blessings, not what is lacking.

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i find it hard to believe the jets didnt know who the eagles where trading up to land.

17. section134

section134 Active Member

Jets got better than Gocong

According to ESPN -Draft Issue ----Gocong DE has a rating of 41--on the pick Jets drafted Schlegel ILB with a higher rating of 42 and with the 7th round pick in the trade took Titus Adams DT with a higher rating of 69 ----and signed UDFA Darrell Adams DE with a rating of 40 --one point less than Gocong

THEREFOR THE TRADE WAS G-R-E-A-T ---we got better value on our pick plus another pick also with a higher value

18. The Dude

The Dude New Member

Guys you need to realize that if we wanted Gocong THAT badly we would have picked him there and not risked it, maybe even traded UP to pick him. Why would we risk not getting a player we really wanted for a 7th rd pick instead? THINK!

19. parafly

parafly New Member

Gocong was rising up the boards rapidly in the week prior to the draft. Surely our FO knew this, and if they really had their eyes set on him, I find it very hard to believe they would pass him up for a 7th rounder. Our FO knew what they were doing and the risk they were taking. It's pretty clear that the FO did not value him as much as other fans or the writer of the article.

20. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i agree. people are overeacting