Tampering Charges vs. Woody Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

And here it comes:

@AdamSchefter
    Tampering charges against Jets have been filed for comments team owner Woody Johnson made last month about Patriots CB Darrelle Revis, and NFL is looking into the matter, per an NFL official. The league is trying to determine whether there was a violation and if there was, how severe of a fine should be levied against Johnson and the Jets. At a press conference to discuss the firing of Rex Ryan and John Idzik, Johnson openly praised Revis and added, “I’d love for Darrelle to come back.” The NFL’s tampering policy says, “Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of the Anti-Tampering Policy.” Revis’ contract has an option for 2015 valued at $20 million, which the Patriots are likely to decline, which would make him an unrestricted free agent, when the Jets would be allowed to speak to and of him, legally.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

What an idiot of an owner we have,I really hope we don't lose a draft pick because of this.To make matters worse the Jets n Woody are the reason Revis is playing for the Patriots....

mwojet, Royal Tee, Jake and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

Hopefully this is a fine at most against Woodless. A loss of a top pick would be such a slap in the face to our new GM and Coach. Our owner is truly a horses ass.

VaBchJet and alleycat9 like this.
  4. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Snake bitten with incompetence. You can't even make this shit up anymore...

mezzavo and alleycat9 like this.
  5. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Those comments are nowhere near severe enough for a loss of a draft pick, maybe a fine at worst.

babyknight, Royal Tee, TNJet and 4 others like this.
  6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Can't imagine this is going to cost anything but a small fine, certainly not a draft pick.

_

DMSMaven likes this.
  7. JStokes

This.

_

8. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

I agree, but the inconsistencies of the NFL top brass recently in doling out punishment leaves one with question marks.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Its amazing to me that the Pats have the balls to file a complaint after things like spygate

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Just filed this in the who gives a fuck department.

JetBlue and Jets69 like this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They were public comments that it's easy to see were not intended to actually tamper with Revis. The Patriots have control of Revis and his contract at this point. There were no overtures that we know of that were made privately at any point to Revis or to one of his representatives once he signed the contract with the Pats.

I don't think this is going to bear much fruit. It's possible Woody gets slapped with a small fine ($50K or so) to highlight the fact that representatives of a team can't discuss interest of any sort in players under contract to other teams.

The question from the media was: Would you have liked (past tense) to bring Revis back when he was on the open market? Woody answered that question. The person asking the question likely set Woody up. It would make good sense to be very guarded in dealing with that person moving forward.

12. JStokes

Yeah, it is kind of weird. Had there been evidence that Woody reached out to his agent or that back room talks were going on, then I could see a stiffer punishment.

An off the cuff remark, stupid as it was, doesn't rise to that level I wouldn't think.

_

13. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

I would agree had he not been given a verbal warning less than a year ago for the DJax situation.

Johnson is truly an incompetent idiot.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the press conference, nor do I want to.

Out of curiosity - did our incompetent owner just all of sudden just go off on a Revis tangent or did one of our fucking dickwad beat reporters ask a question that sent him there?

Not that it really makes a difference only to the tune of what degree of an idiot Woody is.

15. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

No he was asked a question about whether he wanted to sign Revis last off-season or not, doesn't excuse his answer since we all know you can't discuss a player under contract with another team but it really wasn't a big deal.

16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I am sure it would not be a top pick. But we need ALL our picks. Probably money, just to show the league's due diligence.

mwojet likes this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Question was asked. Asked if he would want Revis back on the Jets

18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

it is why owners should not do press conferences without someone holding their hand

19. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

we can talk about it all we want, the bottom line is that our owner is a complete fucking moron. but that shouldnt be news to anyone who has been around since he has been here.

rohirrim665 likes this.