Syracuse's Fine is sex abuse scandle

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by kbgreen, Nov 18, 2011.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I heard the ESPN reporter explain this when the story first broke.

They sat on the story/tape because they did what has been reported. They contacted the people Davis named as those who were also victims and not one of them corroborated his story, not even his step brother.

Also, how could they know that's fine's wife on the tape? How do they know the tape isn't edited? At the time with no other accusers ESPN didn't think it was a story.

The same as the university, the same as the police, etc.

But I agree that tape is bad for Fine.

This may explain why he was so involved in fraternity life. As his wife says in the call...he needs that male attention.

2. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

OK that makes some sense anyway. Not that he doesn't deserve it but Bernie is already tried and convicted in the media.

Heck so is Jimmy B with CBS calling for him to get fired already. I only think that should be considered if it is proved that he knew about the abuse. He said the accuser lied which was reinforced by the 3 earlier investigations and that he was out for money which it looks like he also already did when he got 5K from Bernie in 1998. I don't see how they can be out for Jimmy B. when he says he did not know anything but in this trial by media world anything is possible.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I listened to the Sports Editor from the Syracuse Post Standard on Mike Francesa a little bit ago.

They had the tape of the phone call in 2002 also and they didn't run the story either for the exact reason ESPN didn't. The phone call could not act as the second accuser.

They needed more.

Also, the Editor believes Boeheim is genuine when saying he had no knowledge because after covering him for 25 years, he knew Boeheim to separate himself from the team and coaches on game trips, etc. So it's reasonable to believe he had no knowledge.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

When does Boeheim get castrated like Joe Paterno?

5. kbgreen

Nancy Cantor gave him a vote of confidence today. So he will probably be canned soon!:breakdance: Just Kidding!

I am a huge SU fan so I am biased, but I do not think he should be fired over what we know so far. If he knew something absolutely, but from what I have seen there's no reason to go after Boeheim. The things he said about the guy lying and looking for money, are things we are hearing the guy did in the past. He said people could back up his story and none did so it looked like he lied and according to the radio he got 5K from Bernie in 1998. Seems reasonable to say those things about him.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

He knew that little ball boy kids went with the team, he should have been responsible for these kids as they are under his watch.

I'd fire him

7. kbgreen

I just read that SU is under fire for it's investigation not going far enough in 2005. What process should the school have followed for one lone person making an acusation?

Am I crazy to think that there is a difference between just one person making an acusation or two or three? In both 2002 and 2005 as far as the post standard, ESPN and SU knew this was one lone acuser that could not be confirmed. All three tried get confirmation and could not. SU put Fine on administrative leave as soon as there was a second acuser and fired him when they heard the tape. I think they acted properly am i lost on this.

Now that more accusers have come forward I think it is easy to say they should have done more. But it is a big decision to ruin a persons career just for one accusation that cannot be verified or proven. I know I am biased here but I just can't seem to get around the idea of SU being ripped apart by the media when it appears they tried to do what they could with the info they had at the time.

8. kbgreen

I don't agree, The kids in question did not travel with the school as part of the team (ball boys) but like "friends and Family" of staff going to a game would. Putting them in the responibility of the people they came with. The only ball boys that have traveled with the team were Boehiem's own kids. Or at least that is what he said in the press conference.

9. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

i think its ridiculous to say that you need 2 accusers to run a story. Did OJ need two abuses? Did John Wilkes Boohe need a around guy to murder for it to be real. To sit on that tape is irresponsible. They had the same ability then to run the voice recognition thing that they did now back in 2002.

10. kbgreen

I am not defending the Media I think that tape should have come out years ago. It would have brought this story out and ended Fine's career which it has done now.

But your examples suck, there was either evidence or eye witnesses for your examples. We have only the tape which was not given to SU (just the media had it) and this one guys word prior to last month.

The inherent evil of the charge would ruin anyones career and probably their life. To do that based on one acuser should not be taken lightly. Especially when you know the case will not be proven in court.

11. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

My point being they sat on evidence that could have prevented more children from being molested. Wasn't this the reason why Joe Paterno was fired?

12. mystikol

mystikol New Member

They can go to police/other gov't officials without releasing the info to the public immediately, at least.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

It's not the journalist's job to be the evidence-gatherer for the police. The two need to be separate.

14. kbgreen

Who do you mean by they? ESPN and the post standard? They had the word of the one accuser and the tape. They should have done more, I agree but you cannot hold the school to blame for them can you? The school only knew of the one accuser and they could not verify his claims. I think the ammount of info they had makes a big difference here. Joe PA was told by an eye witness as to what was happening in the shower, here we know of no such information (at least so far anyway).

Do you agree that it is a tough thing to do to ruin a guys career over the unconfirmable accusations of one person? I would hope it would take more than that if It was anyone I knew.

#34 kbgreen, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  15. kbgreen

OK I get that, but it is hard to blame others if the media can stand by and let it happen when thay have more info than anyone else. Don't they have a responsibility to protect the kids too?