Super bowl LIII Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by SOXXX2, Jan 21, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The analytics nerds love the Patriots in this game. All of the advanced statistics are pointing heavily in favor of the Patriots. So they must be doing something right in that realm

I usually trust the advanced stats btw, I think the Patriots will win easily. If football was just football
    ——

Now for some old school mafioso stats though. Whenever betters go heavily in one direction (a lot more than 50/50) the game always strangely ends in favor of the team that the bookies are rooting for, the team no one is betting on. I’m just sayin. I’m just sayin.

Watch how much that line moved from Rams -1 to Patriots -2.5 in one week!! That means everyone has been betting on the Patriots. The bookies aren’t gonna want to take that hit!

But the bookies don’t have anything to do with the game on the field. Or do they???? Cheers!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Stats nerd, non mafioso explanation for the phenomenon. The bookies generally have it right to begin with and the public are sheeple. So the expectation for the game should be the original line. Plus when there's an "upset" (which often is the case because the swing shouldn't have ever happened), the result is more memorable. So you notice this phenomenon and it becomes a thing.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That’s bullshit. Come on down to the old neighborhood with things like common sense and facts and well see how that works out for you :)

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I have enough common sense not to do that. ;)

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

No defensive coordinator in his right mind would make his top priority to stop the Patriots rushing attack. That's why they have so much success.

This is another reason why I can't stand the media sometimes. Overly simplified mumbo jumbo to make this Patriots rushing attack out to be a Ground N Pound style rushing attack. The Jets Ground N Pound was the last true great power rushing attack the NFL has seen JMO.

Everything the Patriots do starts and ends with Tom Brady. Even their running game.

#106 WarriorRB28, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    sackexchange likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

It looks as if the Patriots are expecting to see lotsa Gurley in this game.

The Rams have to impose their will in this game.

8. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Whoever wins this game, it will be in the trenches.

The Patriots Oline is the real reason for their success. If they can prevent the Ram's DLine getting to Brady, then Brady has a good game.

I think this will be a very competitive game and I will need to take some more blood pressure pills!

Brook! likes this.
  9. WarriorRB28

Brady makes that o-line look better than it is with his quick release.

The Rams coverage will be the key I think. Can they make Brady hold onto the ball a bit longer so that their pass rushers can get to him? The Chargers couldn't do it. The Chiefs couldn't do it.

The Rams have the horses up front to wreck the game no doubt about it IF they have enough time to get to him before he gets rid of the ball..

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Approximately 37.5 hours until the chunks begin their fateful ascent. Please note that the chunks will be rising even though I won't be watching.

11. WarriorRB28

If the Rams win the coin toss they should receive the football.

With many people predicting a Pats blowout it's critical that they set the tone for the game early.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which one should I punch first?

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The Jets won the only SB they ever appeared in as huge underdogs. If that isn't proof positive I don't know what is.

14. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I’ve been picking the Rams in all my beating with a conservative score because everyone else has been pretty much picking the Pats so I just wanted to be different. :p If i’m being honest I think the Pats will win easy. I’ll be rooting hard against them though.

15. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Goff and McVay have an opportunity of a lifetime. Goff would be one of the youngest Super Bowl winning QBs ever and McVay would be the youngest head coach ever. They would both be able to silence critiques forever...

With that said:

Patriots 30
    Rams 17

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Guys. I got this. Have no fear, your friendly mod Brook! is here.

When the clock hit 7:15 pm last night I started cursing at the Pats and Brady while watching Superbowl news on TV. It really was an epic rant. I told my wife I really cannot stomach another Pats win.

She said bet on Pats. You always lose. But bet good money this time. I listened to her. $500 on Pats winning the game. No points. Nothing.

So, Pats are guaranteed to lose tonight. You can thanks me later.

johnny and NY Jets68 like this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

As Jim Nantz puts on his knee pads in preparation for the Brady/Bellicheak sloberfest on CBS, I'm preparing for SB Sunday by laying out the scotch, vodka, fentanyl patches, lines of coke and drawing a warm bath and setting an electric appliance on the ledge right next to the razor blades in case a tag team sloberfest between Nantz and Romo breaks out in the third quarter.

I'm praying the rams make a game out of it so Nantz doesn't tear up before the half time show because it's been such a privilege to cover Tom and Bil for all these years. As if their greatness has rubbed off on his tear ducts.

Today's gratefulness practice from the great Yogi of the Himalayas. "At least Phill Sims isn't in the booth with Nantz."

#117 Biggs, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Brook! likes this.
  18. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

The Patriots are just such a SMART team. They never beat themselves and they always take advantage of the other team's flaws and miscues. Yes, Brady is an all-time great but I'm not convinced that if you put him on an ordinary team with an ordinary coach he would still be the living legend that he turned out to be.

I think that the Pats will somehow devise a plan to neutralize Donald and the Rams pass rush. I can't see them losing this game. Not looking forward to seeing all these goons at work tomorrow in their Brady replica jerseys.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Belichick has been coaching for longer than McVay has been alive, and he's the best in the business by far.
    He's going to run circles around him in terms of game planning and adjustments.

But all the credit of course will go to the QB, even if he's on the sidelines when they win as usual.

I'm not interested in listening to the verbal fellatio Nantz is about to bestow on Br*dy and Kraft...

The Saints were robbed their chance.
    Really this game does not interest me in the least.
    I'm not even going to watch. If the Pats blow it, I'll check out the replay instead.

dogg likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If Br*dy was drafted by the Browns, he'd have been out of the league fast.
    He needed the right spot, the right coach, and the right system to pan out in the NFL.
    He's the ultimate system QB that landed in the absolutely perfect spot.

sackexchange likes this.