Suck For Sam...more like Sam Sucks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BudJet, Oct 2, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If the jets aren't bad enough to have a shot at Rosen, we surely won't be bad enough to draft Darnold in 2019. Jets will spend 60+ mil in cap space and will probably be much improved in 2018.

Jonathan_Vilma and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're probably right, I was just trying to give those who love Darnold as a Jet some hope.

3. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I still want Sam, if he's the right prospect and is worth the draft selection, but honestly its never been my thing to "pay" for a QB weve just never have had a decent one since my fandom started. Id rather go OT #1 or an EDGE/CB and then a get a QB in the bottom 1st or 2nd round, is what I'm hoping for. QBs always seem to be pushed up just because, give me the BPA.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We haven't had a decent QB precisely because the Jets are always trying to find one lower down in the draft or on the FA JAG trash heap. They've only drafted something like 3-4 QBs in the 1st round in their history. Yes, some of the ones who go early bust, but in the draft, one pays one's money and takes one's chances. Like in life, you get what you pay for, i.e., you try to find a QB cheap and you wind up with a "cheap" QB. If the Jets want a great QB, then they have to "pay up" or take bigger risks.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

You know, I'm beginning to suspect that those who want to take a QB later, or even trade down, are simply risk-averse - they HATE the possibility of being wrong or making a mistake, and the bigger the risk the bigger mistake. This mentality often leads to mediocrity, if not failure, and what have the Jets experienced for decades?

After all these years of mediocrity/failure, isn't that enough to prompt them to finally start taking some chances? I don't mean being reckless, but at least reaching beyond their normal grasp? Look at the Chiefs this year - they had an above-average QB, they didn't NEED to trade up to take a QB, and yet they did. The fact is, they really don't have much to lose, except their long "tradition" of losing. They need to take the training wheels off and start going for it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post! I think you've hit the nail on the head. Whether Jets fans have been beaten down through all the losing and mistakes over the years (battered wife syndrome) or are just that way naturally, I think that's the way a number of our posters are. It's sad. They can't see that through the actions they advocate the team would continue be mediocre or worse and they'll never win consistently, or even get to, much less win a SB.

Daring to be great takes a lot of risk. It isn't the "safe" way, but the alternatives aren't acceptable imo. I'd rather fail trying to be great, than imitate a turtle, pull my head in, avoid any risk, and wind up failing anyway. The thing is that if you fail daring to be great, you go a lot further and are a lot better than you would have been otherwise.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

As that famous football coach, Thoreau, once said:

"In the long run, you hit only what you aim at: Therefore aim high."

Cman68 and ajax like this.
  8. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

That's a great line

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

He most likely won't declare. He needs the work.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping the whole BPA thing gets tossed out the window and hit by a tractor trailer.

It needs to be a blend of best player available as well as need. We've proved how stupid that whole mantra is by taking 4 defensive lineman in five years in the first round. I'm shocked people still buy into that nonsensical strategy.

11. ColoradoContrails

This ^ 1000%

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Falk's a Fraud. Banged-up USC "lost by 3" at a ranked oppenent. WSU "only scored 3" against an unranked opponent. Big difference..
    (in before "USC's much more talented...poor Josh, er, Luke has no help....etc.") [​IMG]:)

As for USC, trap game tonight: ND next week, Utes (who were ranked) good defense generating turnovers (Darnold's current problem).

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Darnold and USC just impersonated Mcown and jets with pass to flat behind receiver and hit him in face mask for a fumble recovery by Utah.

I don't think Darnold sucks, but he looks sloppy.

Didn't expect that play to be repeated for a while by anyone.

Cal is a very competitive team, they play hard, not too much talent but well coached. Inexperience has also hurt them this year.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Behind receiver" ...or.... "hit him in face mask" ?

I'd ask you which is it, but no need - I get the drift of your spin. The RB should've put his hands out and caught it....and not followed it up by standing there like a stiff looking at the ball (forget the dope's sheepish smile jogging off the field).

For all Darnold's ball security screwups, I also see a QB who responds moving his team on the following series. As for the 2nd half: we'll see..

Red Menace likes this.
  15. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Darnold looks like crap again..I keep watching week after week and don't see the next Andrew Luck..I have a feeling this dude is gonna stay in school.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Darnold plays like he playing in the street or in the sandlot. He plays without any mind to fundamentals, and doesn't seem to care about being careful with the ball, like he can just be reckless because he thinks he can make up for it by winging the ball around. And he seems a bit lumbering to me, a little slow. The team that takes him will need to begin him on basic fundamentals to start. In the NFL that would be fundamental :) for him to succeed.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  17. Red Menace

That formula won't work in the NFl unless he turns out to be the next Brett Favre, those mistakes will come back to hurt the team and put them down by 20 points.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Darnold is going back to school. There's a lot of talent around him and will be next year and the team is winning with him so no fear he will be replaced. He's not NFL ready yet and he seems to be pretty well grounded. He's going to aim at #1 pick in the 2019 draft is my guess.

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You look at Darnold as glass-half-empty and that "mistakes" with him are the norm.

I was looking at what a gamer he is, that even if he steps on his dick he doesn't sulk or shrivel up but sticks with it and finds a way.

Like a pitcher who can win when he doesn't have his 'A' stuff (winning ugly if need be...but winning nevertheless). This kid's intangibles have been ignored here for the most part. Yes he missed on a number of throws last night. He also threw some darts as well as made plays when he has to. As much as I like the sexy, "ball-comes-out-of-his-hand-nice" Rosen, give me the QB who's a leader and who has the "X" factor.

20. Red Menace

Putting your team in a hole and then expecting your team to constantly overcome his mistakes is not a winning formula, I can see that he has good arm strength and has a competitive spirit but he is not polished by any means.

That's just my opinion.