Studs and Duds. Week 5 NYJ vs Den

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Oct 9, 2023.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I wonder if the QB effect gradually has him "checking out". Not that it's excusable, but when he's wide open early in the game and doesn't get the ball I think he goes downhill

SackRecord99 and IDFjet like this.
  2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think once the offense went hurry up at the end of the first half, things started to come together for both ZW and Hackett. ZW wasn't great, but he certainly wasn't bad.

My issue in the red zone was less on ZW but on the play-calling (and also penalties). You got to get creative in that area of the field because it's so condensed and packed with all 22 guys. Very limited creativity. Where's the QB draw? The shovel passes? The jet sweeps? Plus, you have 4 big targets that can win 1v1 on fades.

ColoradoContrails and IDFjet like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk. Garrett Wilson was wide open down the sideline deep on one occasion, it would've been a huge play to break the game apart and Zach Wilson threw 10 feet over his head and behind him

Do I wish he ran routes like Diggs? Yes of course but that's a guy with "10,000 hours" of experience. Garrett Wilson is still developing and he's still getting open anyway.

teamgreen, Lon Chaney and stinkyB like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lol so now it only worked because a top 5 Qb was "ass" keep moving goalposts man. your point is way far gone

5. GasedAndConfused

there is 1 rookie in there. thats it. the other 2 rookie starters look better then zach
    mac jones has led his team to a total of 3 points in the last 2 games. he's in year 3 like zach
    wilson and tannheill are like 10 year vets who have started their whole careers
    ridder and pickeett are in year 2
    daniel jones is in year 5 and just got 40 mil a year contract
    love sat 3 years behind rodgers. he's in year 4 and had no pressure to do anything but learn for 3 years behind a HOF QB.
    carr hasn't been able to move his team to points at all. he finally had a bounce back game this past week but has been awful all season and he's loaded on offense with weapons.

there is just not enough good QBs in the NFL right now. we had the 7th most points out of 28 teams this past week. the point was with zach playing how he is, we can win games. and other teams QBs have been pretty bad.

LAJet likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

thats becuase people think if a QB doens't go 25-40 400 yards and 4 TDs and 0 INTs they suck. people have unrealistic expectations. we also know zach isn't very good. he's playing above his norm which is all we need to get wins here and there. he's been the worst starting QB in the NFL the past 2 seasons. now he's outplaying 10-12 other QBs, he outplayed allen head to head, he out played mahomes head to head, he's giving us a chance to win, where the past 2 years he cost us chances to win.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yardage aside... I'd love to see Zach throw a touchdown pass once in a while.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Not that I'm a fan of Mac Jones, but he's got no offensive talent around him. Wasn't that the excuse for Zach a couple of years ago? Now that Zach is playing debatably better than Jones the last couple of weeks, the fact that Wilson has all kinds of talent around him isn't a factor?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  9. The_Darksider

There's two rookies, but regardless, you have a journeyman in there (Dobbs), a second year player who has 1/3 of the games Zach has under his belt (Pickett) and a guy who has been in the league for a few years but sat behind Aaron Rodgers. And Love by the way has been pretty good.

So what you're saying is that a kid and his third year who is showing some slight improvement is your choice over a bunch of journeyman, unproven rookies, guys who haven't played, and a couple of other guys.

And every single one of these is debatable. Not a single one where I say okay, you're right. There's no way anybody in their right mind would take Zach Wilson over Daniel Jones even the way Daniel Jones looked last week.

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Mac Jones is like bottom of the barrel type NFL starter level and probably more ideally a good backup. And yet you'd have to really do contortions and rely on things like hope, faith and promise to argue that Wilson is a better QB solution right now and/or for the future. Jones has put up close to twice the yardage and TD's as Wilson for his career while operating on arguably a less talented team. Not to mention that he's plowed Wilson under in multiple head to head matchups. Both with stats and with the eyeball test.

For just this season I feel like the Jets would have been in a way more stable situation right now if they'd gone into the season with Jones backup up Rodgers and would likely have at least 1 more W in the win column right now.

The point is Wilson needs to keep improving a fair amount before he's even on par with the lowest tier of NFL starters. Hoping for "average" is probably not even realistic. "Average" means your hanging right in there with guys like Goff, Prescott, Cousins, Deshaun Watson and Geno Smith. Zach Wilson isn't even within hailing distance of guys like that at the moment.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If you are talking about the sideline play I'm thinking of (and it wasn't Surtain covering him on that play) then it was a catchable ball and a half a foot from being a dime.

GW had a number of mental lapses yesterday so I'm mentioning it, I know he's still an amazing player and he's only going to get better. But I want it NOW.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Jones hasn't had a number 1 WR with the Pats. Yet he's thrown 41 TD passes. He is a system QB that can read and deliver the goods to open receivers, but he's spent 2+ years having to force most passes into tight windows. He'll likely turn into something close to Goff his next stop, if he has the talent to throw to.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

could be a factor for sure, but I think you are underselling the talent he has around him. hunter henry and giseki are good TEs, just as good as conk or uzo if not a better duo. Elliot looks revived and stevenson is good. juju is solid but not a WR1. their o-line has performed better then ours as a whole this season.

jones has regressed alot though since his rookie year. he looked better as a rookie. I think teams "figured him out" he is a limited QB and hasn't been able to play around it once teams figured it out.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Mac Jones is awful. He is a pretty good decision-maker but he just floats ball after ball. Goff is way better than average (Another guy who gets no respect) , Geno is playing like top 10 qb and Deshaun Watson is nowhere near an average QB the last two seasons.

If Zach does not regress he will be in the 15-20 range QB rating this year.

15. GasedAndConfused

what 2 rookies on this list? it's just bryce young. who is the other?

also you are missing the point. it's not who will be better or who has been better it's who is playing better right now. we are worse if dobbs or pickett or ridder are at QB for us. thats the point. they may wind up better then zach overall, who knows, but that isn't the discussion at all. it's about our ability to win now for this season and how zach affects it and if he's doing better then other QBs

also if you think the giants wouldn't take wilson over DJ you are crazy. it's not 1 week. jones is just a bad QB, on top of that he openly called the wrong play and defied his coach and blew him off and refused to look at the film of his mistakes. zach has a positive attitude, has taken the blame for his bad play and is working to get better and listening to coaches.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well I think most of us would agree Mac Jones is not very good…and yet he’s been better than Zach

His floor has been much higher

There is an argument to be made that Zach’s ceiling is higher than Jones just based on physical talent, but until he reaches it, that’s just a nice thing to think about.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

goff is playing stupidly well. based on the 1st 5 games so far, he's a top 5 QB

cval likes this.
  18. The_Darksider

My bad, for whatever reason I brain farted on Ridder. Forgot he was drafted last year and not this year.

So you are going on recency bias. That explains why you would take Zach Wilson over Jordan Love, Danny Dimes, and a couple of other guys. While there's no way to settle this bet, I would bet you my house that if you told the Giants they could have Zach Wilson for Daniel Jones, they would laugh in your face. The only possible reason to even think about it would be because of the salary, but if you're talking about which guy is going to make a team better, there's no comparison.

Jones is not a good quarterback, he is probably average or below average, but you want to talk about not having players around you? Zach Wilson has 10 times the talent around Jones has. Jones has no receivers, and an offensive line that gave up 10 sacks last week, and this is a mobile quarterback!

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well it’s interesting though, because all those other QBs are rated higher than Zach in QB Rating. The only one who isn’t is Daniel Jones, who is right below Zach. But Pickett, Ridder, Tannehill, etc. are all higher rated.

Not sure if they rated higher in the last week, but on NFL.com for the season they are all higher.

The only way you choose Zach over them is if you believe that he will continue to improve and end up there…someone above was saying he’ll end up in the 15-20 range..that would be great for us, but he has a long way to go to get there…he’s currently in the low 70 rating range which is in the 30ish range…

SackRecord99 likes this.
  20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah the greater point here isn't squabbling over the exact names. If we're going to say Geno and Goff are more like top 10 (not that I'd totally disagree with that) then you need to bring somebody down out of there into the more average range... so then you'd be into guys like Burrow, Lawrence, Stroud... .whatever. The exact ranking of the names isn't as important as realising that Zach Wilson X 2 with a bag of a chips and a cherry on top and only judged on his best day isn't even in the same hemisphere as these guys are.

In the grand scheme of things I couldn't agree more. Mac Jones is awful. And when you analyze and realize that he's still clearly been better than Zach Wilson it not only becomes depressing, but kind of brings the whole thing into clearer focus.

I literally don't think its possible for Zach to improve enough to be average. That said though... lets keep hoping for improvement to the point where at least we can keep the nostrils above water. If he can just do that the rest of the team is good enough we might still be able to snake our way into the playoffs. And after the last 10 years I'd call that a huge success right now.

Jets79 likes this.