Studs and Duds. Week 5 NYJ vs Den

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Oct 9, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you have to remember i'm judging zach basically on his growth. i'm not expecting him to be mahomes or rodgers. if you look at the last 2 years he was awful and never got better. these past 2 weeks he actually looks like a legit starting QB. a low end one but still a legit starter you can win with. in his 1st 24 games he had 1 game of 70% completions, he's now done it back to back 2 games straight. he's being efficient and making throws here and there and taking the gimmes. his improvement is part of why we were able to win.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think a C- is a fair rating but when you go from an F on every test to a C- thats a big improvement. you have o remember i'm grading him on a curve. Based on his career, I figured we were instantly done for when rodgers went down. that we can move the offense with zach. the past 2 weeks though, he's done well enough to move the offense. he outplayed mahomes and russell wilson in back to back weeks. and he did better then probably half the starters, there were some awful performances. if zach can be anywhere from average to a little below average and pitch a "C-" every week, we can actually make the playoffs with D, special teams, and a strong run game

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wilson was bad. Fumbling the ball, idiotic decision before half time that cost points and he missed Garrett Wilson by a mile when he was wide open down the sideline

but I was called a troll for suggesting we run Breece Hall more and avoid those things. So who knows anymore

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach IS improving on all the things we were all complaining about...

He's not going to turn into Joe Montana overnight.

Big pass yardage numbers are nice but that's not how this offense is designed.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Everybody was saying to run Breece more... lol.

NY Jets68 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Zach to me looks alot like Mark Sanchez during the regular seasons of 2009-11. Mark had a much better OL but fewer weapons....and today's Defense is much better.

So yeah...if Zach can win 1-2 games this year by himself......even if he just avoids screwing up in the others....and we can slide into the playoffs with 9 or 10 wins.....who's to say he can't get hot or the rest of the team doesn't rise up in the playoffs ?

You look at Mark Sanchez's stats in 2009 and 2010....show me how that points to a 4-2 record in the playoffs....all on the road....all as underdogs...beating Manning, Brady on the road....and having a pretty high QB rating and QBR. o_O

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with pretty much everything you said except the bold. They put the ball in his hands - for a change - and he made a pretty good pass under extreme pressure, both from the pass rush and the pressure of the moment, and it was catchable. Not only that, it should've be PI - and would've been if a Jets defender did that to a receiver from the other team. So it wasn't like it was a really bad play on Zach's part where Saleh and Hackett could say "I told you so!" and revert to not trusting him. In fact, it's those kinds of plays where they ought to reward him for trying to do the right thing and letting him try it again when the opportunity arrives. Yes, he might've made a better throw but I've seen great QBs make throws similar to what Zach threw and when it was caught it gushed over as "perfectly placed". I won't go that far, but it was a shame it turned into an INT because it shouldn't have.

And again, I completely agree about the play at the end of the half. While there were other contributing factors - Saleh's poor clock mgt., not everyone hustling back to the LOS - Zach just should never have thrown that for a completion. He showed no situational awareness, like he did against Dallas and that dump off pass on 4th down well sort of the sticks. Hopefully he learns from these, but I have to say they're really annoying and are inexcusable, even from a staunch defender like me.

8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, fair enough. I agree his improvement has been "studly", but yesterday's game was not a studly performance by normal measures..

Jets79 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

I thought so too but not anymore!

he just needed to run for 170+ haha

they want to "cut Wilson loose" now

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

How about those guys that wanted to get rid of Nick Bawden?

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I can't agree with Zach being a stud. He was thoroughly mediocre at best. The Jets in no way, shape, or form won that game because of him.

Ralebird and teamgreen like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

what about em

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

umm... they're short sighted?

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'd give some probs to Gipson for getting downfield on Hall's long TD run. That's how its done.

NY Jets68 and abyzmul like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

Maybe yeah. From a special teams standpoint anyway. He gets like 5 offensive snaps a game so not a huge impact. Not sure why you brought him up though it seems a little random

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Oh yeah--that reminds me--Irvin Charles stud!

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Agree 100% on ZW! And the fact that they trusted him to make that play, speaks volumes!

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

AVT gets a STUD rating for staying on the field and playing thru a torn Achillies....albeit for just one more play (a sack!). But hey, it's never been done before.

Maybe put Hackett in there too? Not sure why, but really nice to see him beat Payton.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

What did we hear a MILLION TIMES leading up to the 2021 draft....that Zach can move...moves out of the pocket...rolls right....rolls left.....moves.

I didn't see a SINGLE report that said "classic drop-back pocket passere that reminds us of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady." :D

He's best when he MOVES....and not only that.....it's HARDER for the DL to get him 10-15 yards away than 4- yards away.

ColoradoContrails likes this.