Studs and Duds 2022-2023 NFL season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 8, 2023.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Disagree here. First of all I don't accept the rookie coach or 2nd year coach excuse. He was hired to win, not learn on the job. He was given a talented roster this year and failed to capitalize. Much of that can be traced to QB Wilson, but even here, Wilson was his choice for QB, so he bears much of the responsibility for the Wilson debacle. I'll give him some credit for improving the defense but I give more credit to JD for making some good draft picks and FA signings. The offense looks rudderless despite having some talent to work with. I don't agree he changed the culture. Two high draft picks, Mims and Moore wanted out. The team looked listless playing important games. Seems like SOJ to me.

Agree with the rest of your list though.

Since1969 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

a "talented roster" means little if you have nothing at QB - this is like Rex in 09/10 except these QBs are even worse than Sanchez - if he'd had a decent QB on the roster then we could talk about firing if he'd missed the playoffs - he didn't do a great job, certainly not a stud - but I don't think he's in the firing category

BacktoQueens and westiedog1 like this.
  3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Like some have already mentioned Saleh is not a stud. 6 game losing streak after being 7-4 is not acceptable.

tomdeb, IDFjet, papapump and 7 others like this.
  4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

JD huge dud
    1. Sauce fell to him since Texans got DS
    2. Wilson fell to him since Falcons got London
    3. Wiffed on Zac Wilson. In fairness, those other QBs aren’t great. Mac Jones is OK.
    4. FA signings underperform. DJ reed has been the only good one. Guess he didn’t sign a Trumaine Johnson but still.

he will go early next year imo. Saleh will have a chance to coach them through unless they totally botch it.

Jets69 likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Good Job G&C. This has been a tough year with all the injuries and bad QB play. Tough season to navigate but you've done a really nice job.

Flacco's early season comeback against the Brownies was so awesome. Down 2 TD with under a minute and win the game. LOL!!! And we DID go into Green Bay and take down the Packers...seeing Sauce with that cheese hat was priceless! And the Jets were one of the few teams to take down Josh Allen and the Bills. And we played 'meaningful' games the entire month of December! SOOOO much promise looking ahead.

Everyone saying 'we need to invest in the Oline' forgets our line has been decimated with injuries all season. Fant was forced to the Right side after playin so well on the left side. Losing Becton really messed things up. Then losing Max Mitchell, AVT, Fant again, Brown again, was just crazy. All those injuries DID get Max some valuable play time and brought us Herbig as well. I think 2023 our Oline can be top 10 even if we don't draft a single lineman.

Cannot wait for a healthy team! Can't wait for Bryce Hall to return to his dominant form. Garrett Wilson is amazing, as is Sauce Garnder. Some of our young Dlineman will start getting more playtime as the old guys fade away....Huff, Clemens, Jermain. Yes, we could use another interior D-tackle to play with JFM and Q.

Again, thanks for writing these up. I always look forward to reading them.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Never said he should be fired. Just meant to say he hasn't been impressive as an HC.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Suck up! :p

I do enjoy the Studs & Duds write-up.

@GasedAndConfused gets a thumbs up.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, he "changed the culture"...he enabled a "culture" that encouraged the locker room openly shitting on the (then) starting QB and wearing t-shirts promoting the backup. Even if they were right in their assessment, you can't allow that sort of division to occur. If their assessment was correct, then as the HC you should've done something about it; if it wasn't correct, you should've shut that stuff down. And that's on top of how he handled the complaints from Moore and Mims.

The culture now seems to be one of the "inmates running the asylum".

Since1969 and westiedog1 like this.
  9. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The guy wasn’t just bad but he was one of the worst guards in the league bad. Jets need to cut their losses post June 1st with this overpaid scrub.

coloradojet, IDFjet, Jojo and 2 others like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you had Covid, hope you're feeling better. Having said that I only got to your first rating before I gave up because I cannot agree with anything you said about Saleh. You started off by saying you were going to rate on the whole season but the only good thing you said was by comparison to last year. This year stands on its own and it was lousy - there's no getting around that. It certainly was worse than the final record indicates, which was still a losing record.

The defense deserves credit for a good season but I don't know how much of the accolades belong to Saleh.

The biggest problem I have though is that you believe that the December collapse was worth praise - the only thing memorable about December's games is that they took a 7 - 4 record and turned it into a 7 - 8 record (which then continued downhill in January). I do not believe that a total collapse is what anyone was expecting to view as memorable. Having a playoff shot and losing it is bad, not good, when you are judging a season. Losing six in a row to finish out a season that started with promise is not a reason to praise the head coach. Failing to score a touchdown in three games is abject failure.

Culture change? Seriously? Did you notice the discontent in the receiver corps? Having players go public with wanting out is not the kind of culture change that should be viewed in a good light and rumblings of discontent emerged too often for them to be discounted. I'll take the players' own words about this being a place they want to be at face value, even if it's only a few - most won't speak out loud about such things.

How well the quarterback situation was handled speaks for itself - I find no reason for accolades there. Whoever on the staff failed so miserably, they all work for Saleh and the buck stops with him, he owns it.

BrooklynJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I really get a lot of you are down on saleh because we were 7-4 and then lost 6 straight. and rightfully so. but injuries piled up, bad QB play and the deck was stacked against us. He is ultimately responsible for this teams success but even prior to the season everyone here said they'd be happy with 7 wins and progress and we got just that so he met his "goal" of what the fans expected and wanted despite some tough situations and he flipped the D around. now for next year expectations go up and we should expect 9 wins and a playoff berth IMO and he has to fix the offense 1 way or another. (JD will be instrumental in that as QB is a big issue) but he had a goal, made promises, and delivered on all and met fan expectation of what we expected before the season started. that is what IMO makes him a stud

Jojo likes this.
  12. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

How can you label a guy who lost 6 straight games and the team didn't even show up the last 3 games a stud? Or someone who goes home with a timeout when the team is down? I don't get why fans are obsessed with a a guy who is 11-23

13. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

We won a string of games against horrible back up qbs, we did beat Rodgers while they were a mess and the Bills once .JDS previous bad drafts and free agent signings are coming home to Roost. We have spent the advantage we held in draft capitial and have a small amount of money against the cap. Q who was not drafted by JD is the best player and heart of our defense. He will command at least 25 million per we must retain him

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

totally disagree on Sauce and GW “falling to us…those were ballsy picks as many expected us to go OL or DE at 4…all three tackles were there as was Kayvon. It was a gutsy pick that turned out to be a star from day 1. Same goes for GW. Only one receiver had gone…there were several good ones, and again that pick could have been an OL. Of course one can make a good case that one of those two picks SHOULD have been an OL, but despite that, both players hit the ground running and look like instant stars…and especially with GW when you consider the shit we had at QB his season is even more impressive.

I for one wanted a tackle with one of those two picks but shit I am NOT complaining about either player…we drafted two absolute studs.

but to me, the talk track that JD got lucky that players “dropped” is total bullshit and an awful take.

he had hard choices…he had many options and directions to go with…he chose CB and WR, and then he chose damn good ones.

I’ll give him credit where it’s due…

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Michael Carter 2 should be with the studs.

IDFjet and GasedAndConfused like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the team didn't show, more like the offense didn't. D allowed an average of 16.8PPG in those losses and 17 or less in half of them.
    You don't change expectations midway. a stud is someone who meets or exceeds reasonable expectations. saleh did just that based on what was expected prior to the season

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Even Joe Douglas said "expectations changed".

You don't go 6-3... more than halfway through the season... without expecting better.
    And you don't go 7-10 with 6 straight losses to close out the season without reasonable questions needing to be asked.

18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Agree. Some might have seen it coming, but not me. I was excited to see how he'd improve on his rookie year. That clearly didn't happen.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No wonder there have been so many disagreements with your calls - somebody who meets reasonable expectations is the definition of mediocre. You don't get to be a stud by wallowing in mediocrity, you exceed average performance to do that.

20. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

It’s hard to judge guys in the offense with the poor QB okay. Garett Wilson must be a superstar to have played this well.

IDFjet likes this.