Straight up choice, Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 19, 2019.

1. regan62072

regan62072 Well-Known Member

If you don’t see the Jets passing on a need they’ve had for a decade & then allowing Giants to take him as a bad thing then I can’t help you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He definitely needs to learn a counter move or two and a couple more pass rushing moves, but imo there's no reason to think he won't, unless he said something in interviews to indicate that he thought he was a finished product or has a reputation for being lazy. If he thought he was a finished product or lazy, he wouldn't have kept working to improve the last 2-3 years in college, and would have entered the NFL draft last year, not gone back to college to improve. I just can't imagine G. Williams not salivating over the thoughts of being able to teach and develop Allen into one of, if not THE best pass rusher in the NFL. This is even more true when you think that the edge rusher that they signed in FA was Anthony Barr, and Allen has similar, if not better coverage skills and better pass rushing talent.

regan62072 likes this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I certainly don’t need you to help me. I don’t give one flying fuck about what the Giants do, not even one. I only care about the Jets and I certainly don’t think they should take an edge rusher because they need an edge rusher and they’re scared if they don’t the Giants will.

That line of thinking leads to teams taking Vic Beasley over Leonard Williams which I’m sure you advocated for and would’ve turned out bad, real bad.

4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Ignoring the Giants thing , but can you explain how not drafting Leonard would have been real bad ? I doubt teams are losing sleep over passing on leonard Williams. Just an average player.

Vic Beasley college stats don’t really hold a candle to Josh Allen’s anyway. Beasley had a very low amount of tackles. He basically just got sacks. Also was decent at forcing turnovers but not as good as Allen.

We desperately need an edge, a good versatile edge is on the board.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Josh Allen. Set an SEC CONFERENCE RECORD for most sacks during a single season. On a less than talented Kentucky defense over matched against elite comp he was KY's best player and could not be stopped. Can rush the passer ala SEC Conference Record and drop back into coverage and is super athletic the more i think about it the more i want Josh Allen more than Bosa off a season ending injury.

regan62072 likes this.
  6. regan62072

regan62072 Well-Known Member

I stopped reading after “They shouldn’t take an edge rusher because they NEED an edge rusher”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Attackett

I want the Jets to draft Allen if Bosa is gone and they are forced to pick at 3. I just would understand picking Q over Allen because I do think Q is the better talent.

I just don’t think drafting Allen because we need an edge is the right move. You draft Allen because you think he can be a great player in this D for a long time not because you have the need at the position and you’re scared if you don’t the Giants will.

I have my concerns whether or not Allen can be a great pass rusher at the next level. My first choice is a trade down no matter who is available.

As far as Leo goes, he was the far better pick than Vic Beasley would’ve been.

8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

No it's not allowed. Regardless of who is selected, there will be people bitching. It's really the only thing that you can count on.

9. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Yes it’s happening. My defeat and depression post is already in the works since I will be wasted when the pick is made and don’t want to offend anyone.

One thing I will never do is try to personally insult another poster for having a different opinion. Disagree is fine. But let’s keep personal insults out of it. We all are jet fans, we all are cursed, we all suck.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

I'll drink to that!

11. TonyFtLaud

My personal choice is Bosa. Im fine with either Q Williams or Allen. I believe both have the potential to be impact players.
    But, I'll bitch and moan due to peer pressure. Lol

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. There is one x factor to all of this and that is the notion of impact positions.Those are QB/OT/WR/Edge/Corner

So just as QB’s stock inflates on a board due to impact shouldnt edge be treated in a similar manner? In the jets case itprobably should.

Look at all the highly regarded interior DL they have brought in to this defense whove played well but never consistently making impact plays which has simultaneously been a team wide issue.

Perhaps even one legit edge to go along w all that talent inside wouldve been all the difference in past years.But it just feels like time the Jets solve this riddle & quit trying to make this interior pressure thing work.Forget Shady Brady.

NCJetsfan and Attackett like this.
  13. Attackett

I agree with this which is why I would prefer drafting Allen even though I think Q is a better talent and have concern about Allen being a great pass rusher. I think Allen is close enough to draft him, although I’d rather trade down over either of them.

Keep in mind, there are many that believe interior DLine is now an impact position with all the read option going on throughout the league. I’m not sure I agree with that but I wouldn’t dismiss it entirely.

Also we gotta remember before Mo Willk got paid and became a lazy bastard he was making impact plays. If only we had any semblance of an offense back then.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think Allen is going to be very good in this league--he would be my choice.

I know some of you won't be happy with a DT no matter what, and some of you won't be happy with a DT unless he puts up Warren Sapp's sack numbers-- I don't necessarily see it that way. I'd be happy with a DT who can consistently create pressure and consistently demand double-teams. It will be awfully hard to double team Leo and a DT every play...

Also, I have a lot of faith in Greg Williams, and if he thinks Oliver or Q. Williams will make this defense go, then I'm all for it.
    DTs don't have to get sack numbers to have a serious impact rushing the passer --Kris Jenkins only had 24 sacks in his career (only 3.5 in his Jets' career) but he could win against double and triple teams up the middle and destroy the pocket. I remember watching a Panthers' game where he shoved the center into the QB and HB during the hand off, and all three of them were in a pile with no defender touching them--somebody else touched them down and got credited a tackle for a loss, but Jenkins did all the work. I haven't seen that kind of potential from any of these prospects, but the point is that a DT can change the complexion of a defense just as much as an edge rusher can.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

So who do you think will be more haunting... Allen to the Jets or Darnold to the Giants

16. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

got to say i'll be dissaappointed if we draft Q. We've been dying for an edge guy since abraham. It's rare for DT's to dominant. Leo was supposed to be that guy, so was Sheldon. We already have Leo, those guys from last year, McL and Henry. For fucks sake, please DO NOT DRAFT ANOTHER DT! Allen/Bosa or Trade.

regan62072 likes this.