Straight up choice, Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 19, 2019.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Quinnen over Allen

It's close though

I'd rather trade out and solve the center situation in round two

2. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, if all the reports are true, it seems like Mac has absolutely no intention whatsoever of picking up an edge rusher this year. Once again, it's going to be about getting big 3-4 D-line guys.

6-10 once again likes this.
  3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

He had interest in Clark...but we can't afford to give away our 1st for him in a package. KC could

He had interest in Mack

But he's never sealed the deal with this

4. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Been reading the 49'er beat guys, opinion guys, and blogs for months now hoping that there might be a movement to pass on Bosa and let the Jets get him.....more pro-Quineen stuff last month or so such that if they passed on Bosa that Lynch/Shanny would not get ripped.

But overall, they think Bosa is the best player for them. 3 months ago it was 90% pro-Bosa and 10%-other. Now it's probably 65%-Bosa.

X-Factor: injury bug. Lynch doesn't like guys habitually injured.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. JetsKickAss

You trust MM to pick in the teens and 2nd round over a 3rd overall pick ??????????

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  6. JetsKickAss

I can live with QW but not Oliver. That is a reach and I remember someone months ago saying he could be the next Aaron Donald or the next Top 5 Bust.

Too risky for me.

This class isn't as strong in QB's as last year which is why MM can't find a trade partner. Last year, we knew there would be 3 QB's taken in Top 10 for sure. 4 went in Top 10.

This year, only 1 definite in Top 10 (Murray).

Footballgod214 likes this.
  7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I just can’t understand why the Jets aren’t all over Josh Allen

What’s not to like? He checks all the boxes in our biggest position need for like a decade

Seems like a smokescreen unless the “Jets know something the fans don’t” (Passing on Marino infamous clip)

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hopefully, it's a smoke screen, but knowing Mac, it's not. We finally get a layup and an easy choice to take an elite edge rusher, a position we've longed for for the last 13 years, and that yutz is gonna pass on him to take yet another DT.

#88 NCJetsfan, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Yeah I could live with us trading down but it would hurt a little to stay at 3 and not land Allen or Bosa (Allen is my favorite of the 2)

What don’t the Jets like about Allen? Lighting up the SEC off the edge not good enough, then what is?

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

You've got me. I guess it's that he doesn't have but a couple of pass rush moves. If so, then that's stupid. It's not like he's dumb and can't learn more moves or lazy and won't put in the work. By all reports, he has great character, works hard and wants to be the best he can. Even dropping into coverage and only having a couple of pass rush moves, he still had 17 sacks last year, 5 forced fumbles, 4 passes defensed, and 88 tackles. He has size, length, speed, excels in coverage, and is even from NJ. It's a slam dunk.

Barring something that know one in the media has heard about, the only possible reason is that Mac is hung up (obsessed with taking the BPA) on BPA, and so will take Q. Williams or Bosa if he's there. Never mind that Allen would fill a huge need, one we've had for 13 years, is the best fit for the Jets' D, and would give our front 7 great flexibility. He isn't scheme dependent like Bosa and Allen are. Hey, maybe there's another reason. Maybe G. Williams either lied or has changed his mind, and they're going to switch to a 4-3 base. Then what they'll do with Anderson, I don't know. Being a Jets fan is so damned frustrating and aggravating.

11. regan62072

regan62072 Well-Known Member

Jets pass on Allen and he falls to the Giants and he haunts them for years. Mark it down!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If you believe the talk the jets won't be in position to draft either so they will end up with the next vernon gholston..gaggy has to stay true to himself.

13. NCJetsfan

This will happen unless Oakland or Tampa Bay grabs Allen first.

regan62072 likes this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Why would he haunt the Jets for years? He’ll only play them two to three times.

This board overrates the hell out of Allen.

15. NCJetsfan

He doesn't have to play the Jets to haunt them. He could go to the Giants, have a HOF career and make the Jets regret not picking him.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

So is it every player they pass on that will haunt the Jets if they go on to have a hall of fame career or just the player you want the Jets to draft?

If he goes to the Giants does he also haunt the 4 other teams that passed on him? What happens if the guy the Jets draft goes on to have a hall of fame career.

17. In terms of raw grade Q Williams & Ed Oliver are more well rounded for their position than Josh Allen.

Allen is a very finesse player.He relies alot on his speed, bend & agility. These are very good traits but he may struggle early if pushed into a starting role bc he doesnt have alot of counter moves or hand usage nor can he convert speed to power.Learning to disengage could be a process. He also is only so so at the point of attack & setting the edge.

All of these shortcomings are easily fixable in time but he needs some seasoning.Oliver can start day 1 & Q Williams better be able to w all his hype.

I still prefer Allen above any player but I understand that its not easy to knowingly pass on higher grades at pick #3.

CotcheryFan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Q and Oliver more than likely grade higher then Josh Allen. If I were a GM ... let's say I give out the following grades (1 to 10 scale):

Q - 9
    Oliver - 8.5
    Allen 7.5

Allen might be the least talented prospect out of the 3, but is still very talented and fills a need. You take Allen.

19. NCJetsfan

I know that we are basically in agreement here, especially about liking Allen, but there are a couple of points that I'd like to make regarding Allen.

People talk about his being a "finesse" player as if it's a negative. Everything isn't about brute strength. There have been a lot of players who have been very successful in the NFL who were more "finesse" type players, and even blocking schemes that are based on "finesse" more than "power." While it still wasn't the NFL, he played against the best competition in college and thrived. His stats this past year blew everyone else away. I haven't seen a comparison of them against previous great collegiate pass rushers, but I suspect they're as good or better than Von Miller's or DeMarcus Lawrence's.* He got better every year (indicating that he not only wanted to be better, but was willing to put in the work).

Learning pass rush moves isn't rocket science. Several have noted that Allen even showed some additional moves towards the end of this past season.

I think that "setting the edge" is the most overrated aspect of playing OLB in a 3-4. Was LT great in setting the edge? Even if so, Allen had 88 tackles and 17 sacks this past season. You don't get that many tackles if you aren't very good vs the run,and he had quite a few tackles for loss as well.

*I was curious so I looked it up Von Miller had 68 tackles and 10.5 sacks his senior season. DeMarcus Lawrence had 72 tackles and 10.5 sacks his last season in college. The level of competition that both played against wasn't nearly as tough as that which Allen played against.

We're talking about a potential HOF player here who had great collegiate production and who has great character. Further, he has no injury concerns. I don't understand people saying that Bosa, Q. Williams and maybe Oliver should get higher grades and are better prospects. Bosa has only power and no finesse, and no ability to drop into coverage. His collegiate production was underwhelming against lesser competition. IMO he looks over-muscled, a bit stiff, and an injury waiting to happen. Q. Williams only started one season, isn't a great fit or a fit at all for the Jets's scheme, forced no turnovers, and disappeared in big games. Oliver had poor production this past season and possibly has some character issues, and is totally not a scheme fit. IMO there's no way that those 3 should have higher draft grades than Allen, especially when one factors in the relative importance of the position they play.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Some players come in the league with 1 move and never really build on it and create a package of moves to disrupt the offensive line. Vic Beasley is the perfect example of that. He's now one of the worst EDGE rushers in the league. I think Josh Allen is more coachable then Vic Beasley.

I did notice, Allen started using this half spin move / hesitation move and he can chop the lineman, just really needs to develop that and brush up on counter moves. The tackle from FL took him out of the game.