Stop with the O bashing - The real issue is our defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Nov 5, 2021.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Just an updated reminder that our head coach, who was a defensive coordinator in his former job has seen his defense give up 178 points and over 1,900 yards in their last four games.

Carry on

ouchy likes this.
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Greg Van Roten is probably secretly pleased. The heat, attention, and spotlight aren't even shining in his direction now. Life is good.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My two cents after the debacle yesterday. I seem to recall at the end of training camp that the major concern with the defense by many here, my self included was the lack of experience at the CB position. The loss of Lawson was a significant blow but everyone felt good about the DL (major strength) and an adequate albeit less than stellar LB corps. A serviceable bunch that would keep us in the game while the rookie QB gets his act together. Not eve close. To add insult to injury, factor in the number of idiotic penalties at the most inopportune times ( on both sides of the ball) and we got a team lead by a comedy of errors.
    Turns out the CB rookie class held their own far better than expected, a very pleasant surprise in fact, while the rest of the D is spotty, ineffective when needed the most, and completely unable to stop the run or cover the passing lanes in the middle of the field. Sure injuries have taken its toll on the D, but it was never quite there, except may be for the Titans game.
    At season end the coaching staff needs to do some major sole searching as to the level of talent we have, including coaching, versus the level of talent we need, and make a major push in free agency to bolster this defense into respectability including much needed depth. We have a few jewels than desperately need senior leadership on the field to make them shine. We need two or three more CJ "types" out there, true leaders that make everyone better around them. No offense can overcome this, especially not one as immature as ours.
    On a side note and a subject for a different thread, someone in the organization needs to look at the newly created top of the line sophisticated and scientific medical and training organization, focused to minimize injuries and help promote key physical fitness. It's seems to me its getting worse than ever. Sorry for venting. So much for the concern that the new CS would be too defense focused.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I believe one of the larger issues with our defense is the DL rotation Saleh and Ulbrich are insistent on using.

Quinnen Williams is averaging 61% of the snaps per game this season. Why is his snap % so low? He's a top IDL in the NFL and yet they don't play him like he is one.

Outside of Quinnen, JFM, Foley, and Rankins, our DL is awful. Nathan Shepard needs to see a sharp decrease is snaps, that dude SUCKS.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As usual, we're pretty much in agreement. The only thing I disagree with is regarding the bolded portion. To begin with, you every right to vent. You don't have to apologize for venting. We're ALL frustrated and upset with how this season has gone. When frustrated, it's easy to just paint everything as bad. We have to be careful with that. I think your questioning the new training dept. is premature.

I said this spring that I was excited about the new sophisticated and scientific medical and training department and believed that it would bear great fruit, but would take some time. I think I said it would probably take a year or two for us to start seeing the benefits of this. If I'm not mistaken we were already in TC or very close to TC, and it takes a while to get those kinds of programs set up, and they need to be year-round programs. The guy heading it up has had great success with OIympic athletes, so there's no reason to think that he shouldn't succeed here. I think injuries are up all across the NFL. I haven't seen any statistics, but I hear every week how many players are out for other teams and have been added to IR, and I don't recall ever seeing/hearing about so many injuries. I'm willing to give him and this program a couple of years before I begin doubting and questioning it.

Saleh, OTOH, deserves all the criticism and questioning he's getting. He wanted adversitym and foolishly said he couldn't wait for it, and he now has it in spades! I wonder if he's glad he has it. He talked about seeing what the team was made of. Maybe he should have wondered what HE and his CS were made of instead. It's absurd at this point of the season for the team to still be unprepared for games, to be so undisciplined, to commit so many dumb penalties, and for the D to be this bad. Yes, three projected key veteran starters have spent most of, if not the entire season, on IR. Yes, we've had lots of backups and other starters either from the roster or PS get injured and go on short-term IR or just miss a large chunk of the season. We knew that we didn't have a lot of quality depth or experience, and that things could get very ugly. They have.

#125 NCJetsfan, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    LAJet likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good points and I hope you are right. I wonder if the NFL is actively trying to institutionalize something along those lines as it seems the number of injuries and severity keeps increasing year over year yet we continue to reduce the training regime and number of practices with and without pads.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

hope you guys are not overthinking this...like an un prdictable mentrsual cycle...like fucking cicadas are some shit...

mid 70's we're crap
    mid 90's crap
    2020's crap... somehow 2010 we were good... delayed the cyle 10 yrs

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The defense is just tired because of the offense ;)

cval likes this.
  9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The defense and especially the front 7 has been the most disappointing aspect of the season. I am not surprised Wilson has struggled being a rookie QB on a bad team. I knew the secondary was going to be a problem as well. But the front 7 has been a joke. Like many fans I thought this would be the strength of the team instead of being the biggest disappointment.

NCJetsfan likes this.