Stop with the O bashing - The real issue is our defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Nov 5, 2021.

1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

It's tough to rebuild but Saleh is really impressive when he speaks to the media. He seems to understand unlike some that it takes time to build a winner. At present they really lack experience and it showed on defense last night. Their talent level on the back line is sub-par as is their linebacking. They will need a few more off-seasons to add to the mix. He is in year one and does not have any rooting scars like some fans. I look forward to his leadership as the club adds and matures.

barfolomew and Jets81 like this.
  2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

This--
    ideally- LB's CJ and Davis and FA DE Lawson plus Q woulda been the core of the front 7 ..

but injuries... and real real young inexperienced and maybe inexperienced and not solid NFL caliber players in potential

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

huff stepped up nicely for c. lawson being out but of course is hurt now. S. lawson has been a welcome surprise. not great but very solid and we got him for pretty much nothing

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Just horrible... :mad:

The Colts averaged 8.7 yards per play. That is the third-most ever allowed by the Jets, according to Pro Football Reference. The only games that were worse came on Dec. 3, 2017 when the Chiefs averaged 10.3 yards per play, and Oct. 31, 1971 when the Chargers averaged 8.9 yards per play.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's a crazy yin/yang...

We're reaching team-high records in points, yardage & 1st downs in the last two games... but we can't stop opponents from doing the same.

So frustrating.

REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Your argument has a lot of merits. I still trying to convince Patriot fans that the Patriot offense looked very good because of the Jet's defense.

What is very odd to me is how the Jet's offense looks less pathetic now without Wilson. But this discussion we can save for another time.

The Jet's defensive effort against the Colts was pathetic.

But looking at the bright side, the fact that the Jets beat the Titans and the Bengals does not give you any hope?

How this team beats the two toughest opponents in their schedule so far and loses elsewhere is a mystery to me. I will quit trying to predict Jet's games at this point.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Less pathetic?

Go back from whence you came... :mad:

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There called trap games. One of our secret weapons.

barfolomew likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

C'mon he seems like a good guy and good poster. He likes the Jets. With the exception of the Titans game, up until the last two games, the offense was pathetic. LaFleur was doing a horrible job with game planning and play calling. He was too predictable.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, the fact that our two wins were against the two best opponents we've played so far does give some hope, but it also reminds me of when Rex Ryan was HC and he'd get the team up several times a year and beat strong opponents like the Patriots, but then look absolutely unprepared and inept against the rest of the teams. I don't want to return to those days. I'll feel more confident when Zach is back starting and we're playing well consistently on offense, regardless of whom we're playing.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When Flacco filled in for Sam and did well, we used that as proof positive that Sam sucked.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I thing we have a less than everage defensive personnel who was significantly out coached on the defensive side of the ball. My two cents

BrooklynJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah that'll happen when he plays better than a 3rd year QB.

REVISion likes this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

If crappy QB's are still markedly improving the offense vs. Wilson in year three we can have this discussion but it's pointless a third of the way into his first season.

NCJetsfan, cval and NYJFOREVER like this.
  15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

So.... i'd rather have an O that is top 10 and we can score to stay in games than be a D team who has trouble scoring more than 17 pts

16. Footballgod214

Mike White had LESS nfl experience than Zack Wilson, and still outplayed him. We're not talking about a former SB MVP outplaying a QB still on his rookie deal, we're talking about a QB who'd never started a single game outplaying the 2nd overall pick 7 games into the season. If this don't worry you even a bit, well I guess.....

#76 Footballgod214, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Being in the NFL for 3 years is more experience than playing 6 games in 1 season.

Mike White has been around veteran QBs and multiple coaching staffs. He has absorbed more information about NFL offenses and has seen more film on NFL defenses. Sure, Mike White has less GAME experience than Wilson, but to say he has less experience than Wilson is asinine.

cval likes this.
  18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I guess Mike White is better than all of these guys too.

Footballgod214 and cval like this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sam was in year three. Not a rookie.

20. Footballgod214

About our D: Saleh butters his bread with a top shutdown D-line that fires up hill at the snap and kills the QB in 2 seconds or less.....no need for shutdown corners if the QB has no time in the pocket. This is type of 4-3 defense Saleh is 'famous' for, and JoeD did a really good job of getting the players to compliment Q. Lawson looked unstoppable in TC, beating Becton like a redheaded stepchild virtually every series. Rankins is good too. It looked like our Dline was the top unit on the Jets, and we were ready to rumble.

Then the injury bug bit, and bit hard. Lawson blew out his Achilles, and Rankins is out too. So essentially, Saleh had the choice of continuing to run the defense the way he always had, or re-imagine the whole defense that wasn't dependent on a suffocating Dline. I think this is where Saleh is struggling.....figuring out pass rush, short yardage, screen defense, blah blah blah WITHOUT a top dline. After using FA and the Draft to support the strong Dline strategy, we might not have the players to play any other kind of defense. And with Lawson and Rankins out, we don't have the players to play his preferred defense either.

Sucks to be a Jets fan I guess. Why should this year be any different? Anyone have a gut feel for Lawson coming back dominant next season? Does it ever happen with an Achilles? First Vinny, now Lawson. So sick of this shit......