Stop Blitzing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Werent the Vikings 0-5 on third downs in the first half. We lost it a bit in the second half cus we were tired and yea it looked ugly on the Harvin td but it has worked int he past and will work in the future. Maybe not blitz all out every third and long but we should still do it more often then not.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

UGH-

When it works, you love it, right?

You have to take the good with the bad. See this is where having a healthy Revis comes into play. Or even putting Coleman or Wilson out there.

In order for the blitz to be successful, we either have to get a sack, or a coverage sack.

On some of those 3rd and longs Favre was allowed to scramble for too long or a guy was wide open. Blitzing is Rex Ryan, how do you not know that?

3. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

1 week its not blitzing enough and the next is we r blizting too much...i'm not saying you said this but this is what i'm getting after being on this forum the past 5 weeks lol....kinda retarded

4. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

hahaha this is true. But the 3rd and long zero coverage blitz is becoming very predictable. I don't agree with "stop blitzing" hell no I love our aggressive scheme I just wish they'd throw in a few fake blitzes to really mess with the Qbs head.

5. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Before that second touchdown I have to admit "prevent" went through my head.
    It all worked out in the end but yeah every once in a while I wish Rex would run a disguise Tampa-2 on third down, just to make OC's think.

Use it like Brad Smith passing. Are we gonna do it every time? Hell no. But make them remember it's there. Zero's are great til they're not. Mix the coverage like twice and it'll work all season, but eventually we're gonna get owned if it's just known that EVERY 3rd down there's gonna be a kitchen-sink.

6. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

No one in here is a better coach that the ones we have, so just type your coaching advice in a Word document and save it on your own computer.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

First of all the Jets do not always play man to man in the backfield. You imply they don't ever play zone. They do.

In gneneral we all like the concept of being unpredictable, but you leave out that WHERE the blitz comes from is unpredictable, too. Or it can be if not made too formulaic.

The larger point is the Jets have an attacking D. This is Ryan's style, and imo it's not going to change as long as he has the personnel to run this style and as long as he's here.

8. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

I think Rex should try to Blitz on 1st down sometimes. Revis is just like a-Rod, after a huge contract, they become suck!

9. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Trust me I'm not advocating we get conservative on D. Wouldn't matter if I was, cuz it's never gonna happen. All I'm saying is if a quick-release QB (ie Peyton) absolutely KNOWS we're bringing a zero he can get it out fast enough to beat it.

I know we play zone. I don't want to be a third and long zone team, but the numbers so far on third and long don't look great, and need a MINOR adjustment.

Rex was just on TMKS and the grid-iron line (fan questions) asked him the same thing, and he said what I expect him to...We may need to adjust a little bit but we're always gonna air on the side of being an attack defense.

We're nit-picking on a win, but we all wanna win the SB, so I'm sure Rex and co. are doing the same thing.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think the OP is probably thinking about how more often lately, our blitz seems to be just a lil bit late on preventing the QB from making his throws on 3rd and long. Its hard to blitz a QB when he knows it coming and we do blitz alot on 3rd and long. Perhaps faking it now and then isn't as bad a thing as it sounds on 3rd and long. We've done it before against the Patriots and it worked.

11. ShutEmDownRevis

ShutEmDownRevis New Member

actually we do really well when we Fake BLITZ on 3rd and long situations like how we did vs the pats

we adjusted.

some 3rd and longs you need to act like your going to send 7 guys and then only really send 3 or 4.

I agree... STOP BLITZING especially when the players are tired and the Offense is geared up for it

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

not to derail this thread, but A-Rod has been great his entire career, and at this point has played most of it with a huge contract. point being he has zero to do with Revis and you don't know what you are talking about, so you should take the time to actually think about the things you say rather than learn lame cliches like "they become suck" and try to use it where it isn't applicable just because you think it sounds cool and thus makes you look cool for knowing it.

13. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

The blitz has it's benefits, but on 3rd and 15+, there is no reason to rush more than 4 guys. Drop 7-8 guys back and coverage and force a 4th down.

14. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

When the players are fresh, blitz away, but when its late 4th qtr, and the people you are telling to blitz are moving like molasses and CLEARLY have no gas left to get anywhere near the QB then blitzing becomes counter productive.

There's a right time to blitz and a wrong time to blitz, and I don't think Rex thinks that there's ever a wrong time to blitz... and I have to disagree with that.

I have to assume we lead the league in 1st down conversions allowed on 3d and 15+... why as a fan am I more concerned when its 3d and 15+ than when its 3d and 5?! Something is not 100% right and you'd have to be a complete homer to not see that.

15. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

This is essentially our point that people don't understand. Like I said earlier, the blitzing is awesome. It forces the QB to get rid of the ball and hopefully make mistakes, if not take the sack. Our defense is built around overload pressures and zero coverages so we can rush 7 or 8. Obviously it works, we continually got the Vikings in 3rd and 10's, 3rd and 13, 3rd and 18, 3rd and 19, 3rd and 20, etc. The problem comes when we send the house on 3rd down while the offense expects it and goes to max protect. All it takes is a skinny post, quick slant, or a curl route on a receiver manned-up and they have a first down. There are no safeties over the top to break up the play.

I think out of the ones I listed (forgive me if I'm not accurate with those) the Vikings converted all but 1 or 2 because we sent the house every time. It became a running joke during the game with me and my buddies as we were watching it. I bet my Giant fan friend a dollar every time the Jets were in 3rd and 8+ saying that the Vikings would convert it every time. If they were stopped, friend wins dollar. I won 4 bucks last night. I preferred seeing the Jets against a 3rd and 3 versus a 3rd and 15.. and I'm not even kidding.

16. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

Rex would sooner stop snacking then stop blitzing.

17. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I disagree entirely--there's a reason that 3rd and long has become known as a disaster down against Rex Ryan defenses. Show the other offense something they've never seen before, put the pressure on, and force them to make mistakes...that's how Rex Ryan has won his entire career.

He's not changing that philosophy now.

18. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

i remember back when Jets fans use to cry about how we don't blitz enough. now we blitz too much lol

The reason we blitz so much is because we don't have a true pass rusher on 3rd downs, so we have to blitz

If rex had a Suggs type player on this D, like he did in Baltimore, i don't think we would see as many blitzes. He would still blitz, but not as frequently

That's the reason he went out and got JT. But at this stage of his career, you can't count on him as a consistent threat on 3rd down

Pace is a good pass rusher but not great

If Gholston wasn't such a sack of shit, he could have filled that role

So we have to live with the blitz, unless someone steps up and becomes a demon pass rusher

19. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

dam good quote

20. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Right. Either that or have a high percentage of actually getting to the QB or good pressure. If you can't pressure the QB on the heavy blitz and they pick it up ok and make some completions then it needs to be mixed up more on 3rd and long.