Stephen Hill: Milk Carton Status

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CurbYourEnthusiasm, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-a...vs-Bills/4ede95c6-4780-45c4-b378-3b694bbe07da

That's what happens when he throws a dart and hits the receiver in stride. There hasn't been much of that. It's been a lot of lobs.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Once again making my point that Stephen Hill must have the ball dropped in the bread basket so he can trap the ball against his chest. I mean shit, I could fucking high point a ball better than Hill. He also adds his awkward little jump.

Hey, I dont dislike Hill at all. I actually think he's a very bright kid. But I just dont see him having what it takes to be more than a rotational WR at this point or a decent #2.

As far as Geno, like I said, you arent one of the better deep ball QBs in the league for much of the season while throwing up lobs. He has done it on some occasions (the Pats game sticks out in my mind), but I would not characterize his deep balls as lobs.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

At least we play the Bills next time, Hill always has a good game against them.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

See, I think he is young and has great measurables. But I do not think he is very athletic, talented and fluid- relating to football.

It doesnt take great measurables to be a great player. Football players must be coordinated, and that is certainly not the word that comes to mind with Stephen Hill. His limbs just fly around and its not close to being smooth. Smoothness is key to running routes and getting separation. He has elite straightline speed, but he is not getting the ball thrown to him because he is not open. He is not open because he can not create separation in his breaks because he is not sudden.

People compare Hill to Demaryius Thomas because of their college and measurables, but anyone who has watched either play knows that they are completely different players. Thomas is smooth in and out of breaks, he can catch the ball with his hands and he can high point a ball.

On a separate thought, just thinking about the fact that we have NEVER even attempted a fade to Hill is pretty crazy (and telling).

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

A lot of us in the draft forum were clamoring for Alshon at the time. This is not second guessing or Monday morning qbing. Jets needed a WR and many of us felt Jeffrey was the better pick.

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

Thomas had the exact same problems that Hill had.. and they have similar stats in their first 2 seasons. I do agree with Thomas being smoother though.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's a bad comparison though. Thomas was recruited to play in a balanced offense and then the option was brought in by a new coach.

Hill on the other hand was recruited to block in that option offense and then take his guy deep now and then to keep the other team from putting 10 men in the box.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Thomas never had a problem of not being able to catch the ball with his hands (specifally high pointing the ball) or simply just being athletic. He wasnt a refined route runner, thats about the only comparison the two share other than their college.

Massive difference.

9. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Hill has acknowledged that he and Geno just aren't on the same page. I still give him till next season to show what he can do.

10. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

It's alarming just how invisible and useless this guy has become. You see someone like Marquise Goodwin pressed into action, and making plays all over the field for the Bills. There's Reuben Randle scoring TD's for the Giants. But week after week we get absolutely nothing from Hill. I think the last time he made a play for us was the first Bills game. A complete waste of a draft pick.

#110 truthbtold, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2 straight games of absolute nothing

12. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I disagree -- how many balls have been thrown his way in the last 6 weeks? The guy caught everything early on -- Smith has lost the ability to look at more than 1 receiver.

13. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

He targeted Hill about 5 times today and guess how much separation this guy had? NONE. Another waste of a pick. Him and Milliner are the two most dissapointing guys on the roster right now.

14. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

He looked pretty good early in the season. It seems like as the offense gets more conservative, Hill is being phased out. It looks like Marty is giving Geno half of a field to read. If we want Hill to be productive, he needs more opportunities down the field. He simply isn't a good enough route runner at this point to get separation on short routes. I still have a ton of hope for the kid, but if we don't go downfield, he is nothing more than a decoy.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

A WCO WR that is fluent in the entire route tree, Stephen Hill is not. Watching the 49ers offense this year, I can't help but to think how perfect Hill would be in their offense. Last year they would run an aging Randy Moss out there just simply to blow the top off the defense with 9 routes. They rarely looked his way but defenses still respected his speed. This opened up the middle of the field for Crabtree and Davis. They are desperately missing that this year. Hill would provide them that plus good blocking. In this offense he is pretty much useless.

16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Does Hill even suit up anymore?

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

who?????????????????

18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

He's been a non-factor for weeks. And not just a non-factor, a haven't-heard-his-name-called player.

Pathetic, really.

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

How many on target throws. Those sideline throws weren't to a player on the field of play

20. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine Active Member

Dude has all the physical tools to dominate. I really thought we were getting a baby Megatron when we drafted him.