Stephen Hill: Milk Carton Status

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CurbYourEnthusiasm, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Hill is double covered more often than not. And if that frees up other receivers, so be it. The Jets have two respectable receivers (Hill and Kerley) so they get smothered. Why do we want Geno to target them when we have other receivers going up against crappy CBs?

Also, if Geno could throw deep, it'd happen more. There were quite a few plays yesterday where I saw Hill beat his coverage. Every time Geno throws deep, he just lobs it up. He can't throw a dart downfield.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Obviously all Jet fans are disappointed that Hill did not produce yesterday. But I don't know how much if of that is on him. Smith reminded me of the first year or two with Sanchez where a mediocre passing game was still seen as a plus because he did not turn the ball over. I mean he completed 8 passes. Yikes the best passing plays were a screen where all the yardage was after the catch, and Cribbs's throw.

I can't get too down on Hill given that set of circumstances.

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

That last pass where Saints sent everybody & Hill just kept running downfield showed me why he doesn't get targeted. Has all these great physical tools but it's still not clicking mentally for Hill.

Prior to the snap, nothing was disguised. Rob Ryan had everybody crowding that line. WTF is Hill thinking about blindly running down field. I'd expect a good college WR to have enough sense to cut the route in that situation & here's Hill not making the adjustment in the NFL.

4. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Hill was not a reach. I remember that draft and many thought he would go in the 1st round because his measurements were ridiculous. I believe D.Thomas was starting to show some signs of breaking out in Denver and the draft pundits must have thought Hill could end up being the next freak at the position.

I think the fact that he drops less passes is a step in the right direction but he has a long way to go. We knew that when we drafted him; coming out of college he did not have the ability to produce in the near term. Maybe we should have drafted someone who could have produced sooner but that is another question altogether. Everyone knew he was a project.

I do remember Geno looking very upset that Stephen did not cut off his route in the 4th quarter. Route running and play recognition will be the largest hurdles for him moving forward but the kid has improved his catching ability. At the very least he has the deep speed to pull the safety off to free up the guy running the short/intermediate stuff and is a great blocker.

Hard to trust him right now but he can still play a complimentary role for us while he hones his craft. Hardly the next Gholston. Lets enjoy the win instead of finding things to complain about!

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

agree - saints had the line crowded (8-9 guys) on several occasions yesterday and the jets didn't complete 1 pass between the numbers in those spots. thats on the QB and WR. i mean the FS was 5 yards off the ball....

talk about zero passing game respect. oy.

6. ibleedgreen7476

When Geno threw into triple coverage, hill was wide open in the end zone behind him, too bad the kid didn't see it.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hill isn't getting double covered more often than not. Watch the All-22 if you can.
    The guy is M.I.A. because he doesn't know how to be a receiver. He doesn't know how to run routes, and we know he doesn't know how to catch.

Why would anyone double cover him anyway? more often than not they are running a zone coverage on him - he's just too crappy to find his spots in the zone.

He SHOULD be the type to go across the middle, use that big F'ing body to shield the corner off and be a reliable threat with the ball in his hands. In reality - - He can run straight ahead - but that's all he can do. Ask him to run a route and he can't do it or is afraid to do it.

8. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Hill also should have been the goto receiver on that 93 yard drive. At the goal line Hill has single coverage out to the left. 6'5" receiver gets inside position -- it was an easy quick slant for a TD -- play calling there was bad.

I am curious as to how much it is Hill and how much it is smith.

I am tired of hearing about how great smith is throwing the deep ball...hasn't completed once since Santonio Holmes caught a TD. He has regressed the last couple of weeks big time.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not saying you are wrong - but it would certainly have helped if Hill could've gotten open at any point.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

Did you see the throw to Holmes vs the Bills? Im sure that qualifies as a "dart" downfield. If it doesnt, then I'll take up golf or something.

There are other examples as well, but this one sticks out particularly.

Also, for much of the season, Geno was the best deep throwing QB in the league. That doesnt happen with "weapons" like we have if he just lobs up balls.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

His measurements are ridiculous, but it wasnt hard to actually watch the tape and see how he just isnt coordinated enough to put all of it together. He just doesnt look smooth.

It still baffles me why we didnt pick Alshon Jefferey over Hill.

12. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

He saw Hill's physical specs & thought he grabbed Megatron.

Not enough balance between expectations & ceiling. Looking back, I think Tanny just assumed that every player can learn the fundamentals/basics so there's no need to worry about how raw a prospect is.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh, I did not intend my post to sound like a defense of Hill, so I am sorry if it came across as one. As some have pointed out, he was open at least once when Smith did not see him or whatever and instead threw into triple coverage. But yeah, i don't doubt he should get open more.

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Geno said something to him after that. He was not happy.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I liked when Hill was drafted. Seemed like a new fan-favorite had arrived at Florham Park. I liked his attitude, his love for being a Jet, and his size. I was all-in on the Stephen Hill train! Ready for him to be my new favorite player. Now? I wouldn't mind if he was not on the roster. He does nothing. It is upsetting because he should be good, yet he is not. People keep talking about his lack of effort, but I don't think that is it. He just doesn't make plays cause he can't.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'd like to see him do an offseason on Dancing with the Stars. Any big time WR is going to make it into the finals. If he doesn't cut him.

17. Duk Dodgers

My guess is we swung for the fences. Jeffrey has the size but I think he had weight problems and didn't test as well as Hill in certain areas (although Jeffrey's tape is much better).

Coming out of college Jeffrey was gamer though...he also has a more polished qb throwing him the ball and played college ball in a place that better prepared him for the pros.

Stephen Hill is still one of the youngest guys on the team and a little younger then Geno. He has a long way to go but I view him the same way I view Geno, young but talented guys who needs to adjust to a pro system and learn the details of their position. There are better days ahead.

FWIW I want more at the WR position but if it takes most WR's 3 years for the light to go on I certainly have to wait 3+ for Hill to start to get it especially given his background. Not saying I enjoy his production up to this point but I can see why we drafted him and why I need to stay patient as he learns the craft.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

what u say may be true but these projects can be frustrating when a second round pick is the initial investment. similar to kyle wilson in that regard.

going by the most recent draft, it appears idzik may not be immune to "projects" but will wait at least until day 3 for them.

19. Duk Dodgers

I hope that is Idzik's approach. Drafting a WR that can't catch or run routes is a little risky for a 2nd rounder :up: I would rather have someone a little slower who can catch (Jeffrey) but hindsight is 20/20.

Oh Tannenbaum...

Why did we take so long to get a real GM :breakdance:

20. bobby2times

bobby2times Member

I'm not expecting anything from Hill anymore. He has shown nothing but the ability to run a go route and hope the ball hits him in the chest. I'd say he is the next Darius Heyward-Bey but he had 1 good season and I doubt Hill will ever eclipse a 1000 yd season.